Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #11,162 of 12,862
Hi, new ZX300 owner here :)
I´m deciding whether to keep the Sony or DX160 which I´m also trying atm.

Is there a way to check battery %?
I´ve seen a lot of people praising ZX300 for its long battery life, which is great for commuting, but I´m quite confused with the 4 bar indicator..
I just don´t want to sit and watch for 15hrs+ until the player dies lol :D

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #11,163 of 12,862
Hi, new ZX300 owner here :)
I´m deciding whether to keep the Sony or DX160 which I´m also trying atm.

Is there a way to check battery %?
I´ve seen a lot of people praising ZX300 for its long battery life, which is great for commuting, but I´m quite confused with the 4 bar indicator..
I just don´t want to sit and watch for 15hrs+ until the player dies lol :D
Not that I’m aware of, I had the DX200 and the DX200TI and was always watching the battery drain away like it had a hole in it lol.
Got rid and switched to the 1Z and ZX300. Just don’t find the battery an issue now and don’t even check very often as I only need to charge roughly once every two weeks.
I think the DX160 has a better battery life than the DX200/220 but still not like a Sony
When your down to one bar you still have plenty of run time so no need to search for a charger lol.
Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the two players, which you prefer in the end and why.
Just enjoy the music with the 300 and forget about the battery, it lasts even with the battery saver mode turned on.
Good luck fella

Mar 21, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #11,165 of 12,862
Okay, so I rationalised and changed up my ZX-300 rig again. You see, you're dealing with EXPENSIVE sh it to me. IER-M7s aren't cheap to me. I don't want to scratch em and the binding post Sony gives you takes about 5 minutes to stow the IEMs in properly, not practical. Also having the whole unit hanging is heavy. ****. Sooo Got a piece of microfibre cloth and hand sewed three modules into it, one for each earpiece and one for the remote. .

I still long for '90s era MD walkmans where it just worked without hassle, started up instantly from the remote. check the track data on the inline remote, day or nght. Can't give up the ZX-300 sound tho...sure I have to wait for it to boot up, pair with the ****ing ugly blu tooth remote with no display but I finally figured out a rig. Had to actually thread the IEM cable behind the clip on adaptor for the remote to get even close to the experience of an old school in-line. When the 300 goes tho, it goes. Man, gets better every day, just wish the user experience was more straight forward. **** modern life. Hopefully Corona takes out the whole dumb world of 2020.

Attachments

• R0020887 (640x455) (2).jpg
    R0020887 (640x455) (2).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 0
  • R0020889 (640x480).jpg
    R0020889 (640x480).jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #11,167 of 12,862
is it still good dap for 2020 ?

I want to use it with ca Andromeda and I just want to buy it for sound quality also what do you think of the Bluetooth with iPhone does is sound as good as sdcard files?

+ Amazing battery life
+ Absolutely no hiss with any IEMs whatsoever
+ Excellent build quality
+ Same sound quality as the ZX507 but much cheaper (due to less features)
- Small screen
- No streaming or WiFi
- Uses WM-PORT rather than USB

No idea what you mean by Bluetooth: if it's Bluetooth, it'll sound the same no matter where it's from.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #11,168 of 12,862
+ Amazing battery life
+ Absolutely no hiss with any IEMs whatsoever
+ Excellent build quality
+ Same sound quality as the ZX507 but much cheaper (due to less features)
- Small screen
- No streaming or WiFi
- Uses WM-PORT rather than USB

No idea what you mean by Bluetooth: if it's Bluetooth, it'll sound the same no matter where it's from.

looks like it still great even in 2020

Same sound as zx507 ?! some said zx507 is deeper in bass ! have you tried them both at the same time?

thank you

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #11,171 of 12,862
The only way firmware can effect SQ is if it is applying a hidden eq or adding distortion.
How Are you so sure of this ?
Different Sigma Delta Modulator has different sound signature.
The Walkman has FPGA, and that it could be programmable

I recommend you to go read up on Sigma Delta modulation and digital audio engineering foundation to understand more about how different sigma Delta modulator can affect the sounds. If you are truly enthusiastic

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #11,173 of 12,862
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #11,174 of 12,862
looks like it still great even in 2020

Same sound as zx507 ?! some said zx507 is deeper in bass ! have you tried them both at the same time?

thank you

Yes. And for added measure, had someone in the store when I was testing the ZX507 out who had test equipment too. The ZX300 and ZX507 both had:
- Same peak power @ 32 ohms
- Same output impedance
- Same voltage at corresponding volume levels

This applies for both SE and BAL. Didn't test the special EQ and effects, only direct sound.

Look, if you want to say it's different, sure, I'm not gonna stop you. But I myself am hardly convinced, especially considering that the audio amp section of the ZX507 is identical to the ZX300. The only noticeable difference when looking at the pictures are the caps, and that's because there's a cap revision since 3 years ago for the exact same capacitor spec.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #11,175 of 12,862
How Are you so sure of this ?
Different Sigma Delta Modulator has different sound signature.
The Walkman has FPGA, and that it could be programmable

I recommend you to go read up on Sigma Delta modulation and digital audio engineering foundation to understand more about how different sigma Delta modulator can affect the sounds. If you are truly enthusiastic

The ZX300 has an FPGA? Really? Xilinx or Altera?

I'm like 99% sure there's no FPGA in it, because if there is, you'd bet anything Sony will definitely show it off. Not to mention, if it did, it'd have burned a whole in my pocket AND also be ridiculously power-inefficient.

And because it's not an FPGA, unless you're doing some background processing, there's nothing firmware-side that will affect the sound except if they decide to do power regulation through the chip and allow the amp to be juiced up a bit more.

Also, any recommended sources on delta-sigma modulators? Bit rusty on it these days so curious what the industry's up to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back