Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 9, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #10,921 of 12,862
I just bought a SHANLING C3 case to house the ZX300 + USB cable + a few IEMs, but I was wondering what kind of case do you guys use for your DAP. I might go with a silicone case since the C3 offers a ton of protection already.

By the way what is the general consensus on using a screen protector on top of the screen?

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #10,922 of 12,862
With the AKG N40 there is no difference at all. It is a matter of power that the IEM needs. With some more demanding IEMs, surely there is. Maybe I gave my opinion without knowing the IEM of
@geisterfaust and he will have to spend his money to check it :wink:

The SE output is also curiously hissier, which is funny because with all things being equal, it's supposed to be SE which is less hissy than BAL. I mean, both are very good anyway, but in the dead of night, there's an appreciable difference. I think Sony gimped the SE to make the BAL look better.

That being said, the BAL has gobs more power than SE, so those with power-hungry headphones also benefit from BAL.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #10,924 of 12,862
Sony hasn't stated that there is any change in sound with the latest firmware (2.02), but it seems to me, the player sounds a bit more open (less dark of you will). Probably my mind playin tricks.

One thing I did find that significantly changed is the difference in sound with change in what you select for DC Phase Linearizer. When I first bought this, I didn't find any of those sub-options made a discernible difference to my ears (Type A low-standard-etc)

I never did pay much attention to the DC Phase Linearizer with subsequent firmware upgrades (thought it was a gimmick), but as I've been lately trying it, I can definitely pin point the difference between Type A standard/ low.

Does anybody know, what's the difference between Type A and B?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #10,926 of 12,862
I just bought a SHANLING C3 case to house the ZX300 + USB cable + a few IEMs, but I was wondering what kind of case do you guys use for your DAP. I might go with a silicone case since the C3 offers a ton of protection already.

By the way what is the general consensus on using a screen protector on top of the screen?
I have the Sony leather case made specifically for the NW-ZX300. It's pricey but works extremely well, and all the buttons and ports (including the SD card slot) are accessible. The screen cover has a magnetic latch and offers good impact protection. I also got a Benks "White Magic" Mini Dust Plug set (for the two headphone ports and the power/sync USB port).

On the screen protector - I did try one but found it reduced the touch sensitivity a little; the matt glass screen seems to be pretty resilient, and as I always use the player with the Sony case I removed the screen protector. The player is in perfect condition after about 15 months of heavy use.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #10,927 of 12,862
With the AKG N40 there is no difference at all. It is a matter of power that the IEM needs. With some more demanding IEMs, surely there is. Maybe I gave my opinion without knowing the IEM of
@geisterfaust and he will have to spend his money to check it :wink:
I'm interested in how much difference using the balanced output and IEMs really makes - I haven't tried balanced IEMs on my NW-ZX300 as I thought the main benefit was reduction in noise and distortion, neither of which I have experienced using non-balanced earbuds. I usually use my Bose QC20is (wired, noise cancelling), and in NC mode they also boost the audio signal so overcome the lower output of the non-balanced audio. Sound quality is excellent and as the Bose unit has its own battery it minimises the drain on the player. I also use Sony SP-600Ns (wireless, noise cancelling). I mainly got them for their remote control functionality while out walking/running but have been impressed by their sound quality and noise cancelling performance; Sony has done a great job with these - not as good as the QC20is, and their battery life is a bit limited, but the trade-off is worth it for convenience (and nothing will sound perfect when you're pounding the pavement).

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #10,928 of 12,862
I'm interested in how much difference using the balanced output and IEMs really makes - I haven't tried balanced IEMs on my NW-ZX300 as I thought the main benefit was reduction in noise and distortion, neither of which I have experienced using non-balanced earbuds. I usually use my Bose QC20is (wired, noise cancelling), and in NC mode they also boost the audio signal so overcome the lower output of the non-balanced audio. Sound quality is excellent and as the Bose unit has its own battery it minimises the drain on the player. I also use Sony SP-600Ns (wireless, noise cancelling). I mainly got them for their remote control functionality while out walking/running but have been impressed by their sound quality and noise cancelling performance; Sony has done a great job with these - not as good as the QC20is, and their battery life is a bit limited, but the trade-off is worth it for convenience (and nothing will sound perfect when you're pounding the pavement).
I don't understand the technicalities of it all but the balanced output really made the Sony XBA-Z5 shine - I don't have them anymore but from memory they were 32ohm and were frequently criticised when used with an underpowered output (muddy bass). Even my easier to drive iems appear to sound more appealing using them balanced, more dynamic. Maybe because I haven't got many hours of burn in for my 3.5mm output, but when I have used it doesn't have the same pleasure as the balanced output.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #10,929 of 12,862
With which phones did you experience hiss on the SE?

I see you've got the IER-M9s. Something I'm currently also looking at as an option, along with the Solaris.

CA Polaris. Thing damn near hissed on everything, but the ZX-300 was the lowest it ever hissed.

Not a fan of the Solaris when I was tossing up between the IER-M9s and it. Too heavy and bulky, poor fit and it sounded like someone took a beating to the midrange. Amazing soundstage and bass though.

No, main benefit of balanced is power. Balanced, again all things being equal, actually increases the noise floor and IMD but reduces crosstalk and common-mode distortion.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #10,930 of 12,862
CA Polaris. Thing damn near hissed on everything, but the ZX-300 was the lowest it ever hissed.

Not a fan of the Solaris when I was tossing up between the IER-M9s and it. Too heavy and bulky, poor fit and it sounded like someone took a beating to the midrange. Amazing soundstage and bass though.

Thanks.

One step closer to the decision.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #10,931 of 12,862
No, main benefit of balanced is power. Balanced, again all things being equal, actually increases the noise floor and IMD but reduces crosstalk and common-mode distortion.

On any other device, it should only do what you stated. But on the ZX300, it supposedly, also supplies, as Sony states:

...clean, reliable voltage for well defined and powerful bass notes...through it's (then) new capacitors.

Clean, reliable voltage being the key term, since you already stated balanced brings more power, which should reflect on the lower frequencies.

Well, it's what Sony claims anyways.

Did you notice a great difference between the 3.5mm and 4.4mm while using the M9s?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #10,932 of 12,862
...but the balanced output really made the Sony XBA-Z5 shine... 3.5mm output, but when I have used it doesn't have the same pleasure as the balanced output.

Apart from the IER-M9s, I'm looking at either these, the N3 or the EE Bravados for out-n-about.

Did you face any issues with the Z5 interconnects while swapping cables?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #10,933 of 12,862

In my opinion, if the IEM has low impedance and high sensitivity, I don't notice any difference. There are people in this forum saying the same thing with the Shure SE846, for example. In my case the AKG N40 sounds the same.

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #10,934 of 12,862
On any other device, it should only do what you stated. But on the ZX300, it supposedly, also supplies, as Sony states:

...clean, reliable voltage for well defined and powerful bass notes...through it's (then) new capacitors.

Clean, reliable voltage being the key term, since you already stated balanced brings more power, which should reflect on the lower frequencies.

Well, it's what Sony claim anyways.

Did you notice a great difference between the 3.5mm and 4.4mm while using the M9s?

Funny how caps don't matter that much when we're talking about $10k+ lab-grade measuring supplies, but for a $600 DAP, it makes a difference.............:)

Anyway, I treat that statement as marketing drivel, considering that a clean voltage doesn't mean it's sufficiently powered. You can have all the voltage in the world, but if the source is current-limited, doesn't mean jack.

That being said, 4.4mm is still better as it hisses less and gives more power. Oh, and it's a much sturdier jack too, and I'll happily take that any day of the week over the wimpy 3.5mm jack.

With regards to the M9s, not really. I use the 4.4mm mainly to prevent my co-workers from mooching off them while I'm off somewhere (just like the Z7M2s I have). And it looks prettier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back