Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #10,891 of 12,862
One of my gripes with the ZX300 was lack of a convenient way to make playlists.

Wish, it had a function to select multiple files (as opposed to single select and wait a few seconds for it to add it to an editable playlist on the device)

Anyways, after months of trial and error, finally found an easy way to make playlists. (You will need a PC and a software called Potplayer)

1. Connect NW-ZX300 to the PC and turn on USB storage

2. Open Potplayer

3. Open Playlist Window in Potplayer

4. Add the song files
(browse to NWZX300 local storage (or external storage as desired)

Note: You can either select local or external storage. Can't mix

5. Save Playlist

(Potplayer Dropdown menu [top left corner] or Right click on player)

>Select Playback
>Playlist
>Playlist
>Save playlist as
>Browse to NWZX300 local storage (or external storage, if you added the files from it)
>MUSIC
>Type a file name of your choice
>Save as type: Winamp playlist -m3u (*.m3u; *.m3u8)
>Save

Et Voila! Turn off USB function on the player. Let the player create the database, browse to Playlists on the Home screen and you should find the playlist that you made.

Enjoy!

P.S - Since the playlist that works on the device is saved as a Winamp file, I guess it could also be done on a Winamp player. I haven't tried it though.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #10,892 of 12,862
One of my gripes with the ZX300 was lack of a convenient way to make playlists.

Wish, it had a function to select multiple files (as opposed to single select and wait a few seconds for it to add it to an editable playlist on the device)

Anyways, after months of trial and error, finally found an easy way to make playlists. (You will need a PC and a software called Potplayer)

1. Connect NW-ZX300 to the PC

2. Open Potplayer

3. Open Playlist Window in Potplayer

4. Add the song files
(browse to NWZX300 local storage (or external storage as desired)

Note: You can either select local or external storage. Can't mix

5. Save Playlist

(Potplayer Dropdown menu [top left corner] or Right click on player)

>Select Playback
>Playlist
>Playlist
>Save playlist as
>Browse to NWZX300 local storage (or external storage, if you added the files from it)
>MUSIC
>Type a file name of your choice
>Save as type: Winamp playlist -m3u (*.m3u; *.m3u8)
>Save

Et Voila! Turn off USB function on the player. Let the player create the database, browse to playlist and you should find your playlist.

Enjoy!

P.S - Since the playlist that works on the device is saved as a Winamp file, I guess it could also be done on a Winamp player. I haven't tried it though.
Thanks, I had done it with Foobar but forgot how to do it now and end up just using bookmarks. I use Potplayer so I'll follow your guide - it is too time consuming using the player playlist function

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #10,893 of 12,862
Thanks, I had done it with Foobar but forgot how to do it now and end up just using bookmarks. I use Potplayer so I'll follow your guide - it is too time consuming using the player playlist function

Glad to help.

I've got Foobar, but I find myself using Potplayer the most. Sounds good, great picture quality and a plethora of functions. Just trying not to get spooked by some of the rumours about it being a spyware of sorts (Isn't everything these days!)

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #10,894 of 12,862
Glad to help.

I've got Foobar, but I find myself using Potplayer the most. Sounds good, great picture quality and a plethora of functions. Just trying not to get spooked by some of the rumours about it being a spyware of sorts (Isn't everything these days!)
True, same with some apps I use on my android phone

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #10,895 of 12,862
Has anyone gotten to use the Tin T4s with this DAP?

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #10,897 of 12,862
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your positive and insightful posts in this very long thread. Today I feel obligated to share with you about this interesting finding.

Last week I downgrade my ZX300 fw from v.2.02 to v.2.00 (factory default) then v.1.10 (the older not available anywhere).

- v2.00: sound quality almost no difference with v.2.02;
- v1.10: significant improved sq. Just plain, natural, dynamic, raw music with DSEE HX standard on, Dynamic Normalizer on. Sq is much better, more dynamic, much more natural, wider soundstage and more musicality.

Cons: fw 1.10 does not support Vinyl Processor (useless function though, as this distorts the sound a lot), playback screen with high peak mode, BT aptx receiver function (I think so as I do not care about wireless connection for music. People spend a lot on expensive occ, spc, silver cable just to have pure music and wireless cannot even compare with normal cable in transmittance, but for ease).

Long story short. If you want better and simply pure music, you may give it a try. Just plug in and connect, simple and easy. The firmware is still available for downloading on Sony' website at: http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V1_10.exe

I did the downgrade and upgrade for a few times (at least total 7 times) to compare sq before conclusion and sharing, and experience no difficulties or harm to my dap. The music data is kept secured also without the need to erase or reformat.

Best,
Khanh

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #10,898 of 12,862
Sorry, but how can it be "raw' or "pure" music with DSEE HX and Dynamic normalizer on..?

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #10,901 of 12,862
Hello there!

e96b01ad-0b5b-42cd-a7e5-45a366423b4f
I'm around 6 hours in with this device and overall it has been a fantastic experience. The only things I'm having troubles with is the tagging/cover art showing up properly, I'm already re-tagging my music (which is going to take a while) with Tagscanner. But overall I'm super happy with this unit.

I've got one question though, it's unavoidable that the device every single time you turn it has to scan your database or can I avoid it doing something? I usually turn the unit off when I'm done using it, not sure if I should just leave it on stand by.

I absolutely adore the screen, I thought it was going to be very tiny but the quality of the screen is amazing.

Next up!: buying a pair or two of decent IEMs and a bag to carry everything. After looking through Aliexpress for a while I found this Shanling C3 case that works perfectly with the Sony + a pair of IEMs + USB cable + maybe a charger. Definitely getting this.

UTB8u7KBQXfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXaC.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #10,902 of 12,862
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/S500014317 sorry but perhaps i'm too stupid to understand about technical or audiophile things but how could dynamic normalizer take its toll on music quality? i thought the function of this setting is to reduce the differences in loudness when switching songs around since some tracks might sound louder than the others?

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #10,903 of 12,862
Sorry, but how can it be "raw' or "pure" music with DSEE HX and Dynamic normalizer on..?
Yes, it is strange but I know what is neutral and natural as I also use my Mojo frequently. Maybe my music source is not of high-res and volume between songs varies a lot. This however does not happen with v2.02 as I feel the sound distorts a lot.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #10,904 of 12,862
Hello there!

e96b01ad-0b5b-42cd-a7e5-45a366423b4f
I'm around 6 hours in with this device and overall it has been a fantastic experience. The only things I'm having troubles with is the tagging/cover art showing up properly, I'm already re-tagging my music (which is going to take a while) with Tagscanner. But overall I'm super happy with this unit.

I've got one question though, it's unavoidable that the device every single time you turn it has to scan your database or can I avoid it doing something? I usually turn the unit off when I'm done using it, not sure if I should just leave it on stand by.

I absolutely adore the screen, I thought it was going to be very tiny but the quality of the screen is amazing.

Next up!: buying a pair or two of decent IEMs and a bag to carry everything. After looking through Aliexpress for a while I found this Shanling C3 case that works perfectly with the Sony + a pair of IEMs + USB cable + maybe a charger. Definitely getting this.

UTB8u7KBQXfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXaC.jpg

Thanks!
Unfortunately the only remedy to prevent the database scan is to leave it on standby, but as I sometimes have a few days between listening sessions I find it depletes the battery too much. I have a 400gb Sandisk card that is about 60-70% full and it doesn't take too long to scan so I've gotten used to it. Ideally it would be nice not to have to go through this process.
Tagscanner is the one I use to fix my artwork - I find just using the recompress option under the edit option allows current artwork to be changed to the format that will display on the ZX300.
I hope you are getting the maximum benefit by using the balanced output.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #10,905 of 12,862
Unfortunately the only remedy to prevent the database scan is to leave it on standby, but as I sometimes have a few days between listening sessions I find it depletes the battery too much. I have a 400gb Sandisk card that is about 60-70% full and it doesn't take too long to scan so I've gotten used to it. Ideally it would be nice not to have to go through this process.
Tagscanner is the one I use to fix my artwork - I find just using the recompress option under the edit option allows current artwork to be changed to the format that will display on the ZX300.
I hope you are getting the maximum benefit by using the balanced output.

Heyo! Currently using the 3.5mm output since I don't have a balanced cable laying around. Will be using one as soon as my IEMs come in the mail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back