Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 7, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #10,906 of 12,862
Heyo! Currently using the 3.5mm output since I don't have a balanced cable laying around. Will be using one as soon as my IEMs come in the mail!
The 3.5mm output is fine but my experience with using the more powerful balanced output has been very positive, even with iems that aren't that demanding. I have definitely experienced improvements with burn in (I know it's disputed) so you can look forward to improvements to come.
Hope they turn up soon

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #10,908 of 12,862
I had a Fiio X5 2nd gen and there is no comparison. The Sony blows it away.

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #10,909 of 12,862
Unfortunately the only remedy to prevent the database scan is to leave it on standby, but as I sometimes have a few days between listening sessions I find it depletes the battery too much. I have a 400gb Sandisk card that is about 60-70% full and it doesn't take too long to scan so I've gotten used to it. Ideally it would be nice not to have to go through this process.
Tagscanner is the one I use to fix my artwork - I find just using the recompress option under the edit option allows current artwork to be changed to the format that will display on the ZX300.
I hope you are getting the maximum benefit by using the balanced output.

Database scan: When I first got my NW-ZX300 it took several minutes to rebuild the database (my understanding is that it rebuilds the database as opposed to just scanning it - a scan wouldn't take very long at all). When I updated to later firmware (it originally had Version 1.7) the database rebuild time came down to around 20-30 seconds (it's about 80Gb/760 albums on a 128Gb card). This has meant that it's now practical to power down completely rather than using standby mode which, as originally stated, does drain the battery.

Album artwork: My source data files are all MP3s held in my Music database on my Mac. When I first copied the database over to the NW-ZX300 I had several that "lost" the album artwork during the transfer. When I checked the artwork I soon realised that the issue was the embedded artwork file size. Most of the original download embedded artwork files were below 100kb, but I had a fair number that I've ripped from my old CD collection that didn't have embedded album artwork and I'd added album artwork from online sources; many of these are much larger files. As soon as I compressed them they came across fine. I think that Sony'e media transfer software has been improved to overcome this problem, but unfortunately neither that nor their firmware installer software will run on Macs using recent operating systems Mojave or Catalina (and Sony have also said they have no plans to update their software for Apple OS).

I sync my music files between the Mac and the NW-ZX300 using Bombich CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) and edit tags on the Mac with Amvidia Tag editor.

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #10,911 of 12,862
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #10,912 of 12,862
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your positive and insightful posts in this very long thread. Today I feel obligated to share with you about this interesting finding.

Last week I downgrade my ZX300 fw from v.2.02 to v.2.00 (factory default) then v.1.10 (the older not available anywhere).

- v2.00: sound quality almost no difference with v.2.02;
- v1.10: significant improved sq. Just plain, natural, dynamic, raw music with DSEE HX standard on, Dynamic Normalizer on. Sq is much better, more dynamic, much more natural, wider soundstage and more musicality.

Cons: fw 1.10 does not support Vinyl Processor (useless function though, as this distorts the sound a lot), playback screen with high peak mode, BT aptx receiver function (I think so as I do not care about wireless connection for music. People spend a lot on expensive occ, spc, silver cable just to have pure music and wireless cannot even compare with normal cable in transmittance, but for ease).

Long story short. If you want better and simply pure music, you may give it a try. Just plug in and connect, simple and easy. The firmware is still available for downloading on Sony' website at: http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V1_10.exe

I did the downgrade and upgrade for a few times (at least total 7 times) to compare sq before conclusion and sharing, and experience no difficulties or harm to my dap. The music data is kept secured also without the need to erase or reformat.

Best,
Khanh
Do you have a URL for the download site for legacy firmware versions (as opposed to the URL for the file itself)?

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #10,913 of 12,862
Do you have a URL for the download site for legacy firmware versions (as opposed to the URL for the file itself)?
No, I already searched everywhere else. When you access the link, there will be an automatic downloading of the firmware. The links for downloading the files are:
V1.10: http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V1_10.exe
V2.00:
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V2_00.exe
V2.01
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V2_01.exe

They are safe as being maintained by Sony. I tried to find others on all websites, including Hong Kong or China mainland or Japan but unsucessfully.

Best,
Khanh

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #10,914 of 12,862
No, I already searched everywhere else. When you access the link, there will be an automatic downloading of the firmware. The links for downloading the files are:
V1.10: http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V1_10.exe
V2.00:
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V2_00.exe
V2.01
http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/ZX300/NW-ZX300_V2_01.exe

They are safe as being maintained by Sony. I tried to find others on all websites, including Hong Kong or China mainland or Japan but unsucessfully.

Best,
Khanh
OK thanks for that.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #10,915 of 12,862
Hello there!

e96b01ad-0b5b-42cd-a7e5-45a366423b4f
I'm around 6 hours in with this device and overall it has been a fantastic experience. The only things I'm having troubles with is the tagging/cover art showing up properly, I'm already re-tagging my music (which is going to take a while) with Tagscanner. But overall I'm super happy with this unit.

I've got one question though, it's unavoidable that the device every single time you turn it has to scan your database or can I avoid it doing something? I usually turn the unit off when I'm done using it, not sure if I should just leave it on stand by.

I absolutely adore the screen, I thought it was going to be very tiny but the quality of the screen is amazing.

Next up!: buying a pair or two of decent IEMs and a bag to carry everything. After looking through Aliexpress for a while I found this Shanling C3 case that works perfectly with the Sony + a pair of IEMs + USB cable + maybe a charger. Definitely getting this.

UTB8u7KBQXfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXaC.jpg

Thanks!

It is a spectacular DAP, thanks also for the sound quality that it offers as a bluetooth receiver, a function that was activated a few months ago. If you have an Android and any streaming service you enjoy it in surprising quality (almost CD thanks to the LDAC codec) and without cuts.

Saludos!

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #10,916 of 12,862
Heyo! Currently using the 3.5mm output since I don't have a balanced cable laying around. Will be using one as soon as my IEMs come in the mail!

Don't waste your money on a balanced cable for an IEM. I have the wonderful AKG N40 and they are heard exactly the same for 4.4 (FiiO cable lc-4.4) than for 3.5 with its serial cable. The 3.5mm output of the Sony is excellent for IEM. Balanced output is only necessary for more demanding headphones.

Saludos!

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #10,917 of 12,862
Don't waste your money on a balanced cable for an IEM. I have the wonderful AKG N40 and they are heard exactly the same for 4.4 (FiiO cable lc-4.4) than for 3.5 with its serial cable. The 3.5mm output of the Sony is excellent for IEM. Balanced output is only necessary for more demanding headphones.

Saludos!
I beg to differ!

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #10,919 of 12,862
Looking to change over to the ZX300 from a Fiio X5 3rd gen because it's smaller and lighter. Anyone already had both?
Did the same over a year ago and haven't looked back, certainly an upgrade over the X5 I/II/III. I didn't really use any of the features the ZX300 doesn't have though, battery and stability are a lot better and after the first 20-30 hours of burn in the sound was an improvement too.

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #10,920 of 12,862
I beg to differ too!!! There’s a huge difference even with my Vegas...

With the AKG N40 there is no difference at all. It is a matter of power that the IEM needs. With some more demanding IEMs, surely there is. Maybe I gave my opinion without knowing the IEM of
@geisterfaust and he will have to spend his money to check it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back