Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 10, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #10,936 of 12,862
Anyway, I treat that statement as marketing drivel, considering that a clean voltage doesn't mean it's sufficiently powered. You can have all the voltage in the world, but if the source is current-limited, doesn't mean jack.

Gotcha!

Although, can a clean voltage have any bearing on the quality of bass (well defined?) as Sony claims?

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #10,937 of 12,862
That being said, 4.4mm is still better as it hisses less and gives more power. Oh, and it's a much sturdier jack too, and I'll happily take that any day of the week over the wimpy 3.5mm jack.

With regards to the M9s, not really. I use the 4.4mm mainly to prevent my co-workers from mooching off them while I'm off somewhere (just like the Z7M2s I have). And it looks prettier.

About the hiss on the 3.5mm, it still bugs me how the gimped out jack produces it, compared to the 4.4mm for you.

Never experienced it on any phones I used though.

It'd be well funny if one of your co-workers got themselves a DAP with 4.4mm to use that beauty of an earphone :)

Although most people think I'm mental for using a dedicated source, leave alone one that costs $600, so you're probably safe. Ain't for the common man et al.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #10,938 of 12,862
Also DSD native playback is only available from the balanced port.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #10,939 of 12,862
Sony hasn't stated that there is any change in sound with the latest firmware (2.02), but it seems to me, the player sounds a bit more open (less dark of you will). Probably my mind playin tricks.

One thing I did find that significantly changed is the difference in sound with change in what you select for DC Phase Linearizer. When I first bought this, I didn't find any of those sub-options made a discernible difference to my ears (Type A low-standard-etc)

I never did pay much attention to the DC Phase Linearizer with subsequent firmware upgrades (thought it was a gimmick), but as I've been lately trying it, I can definitely pin point the difference between Type A standard/ low.

Does anybody know, what's the difference between Type A and B?
I really don't know why folks do not try previous fw if they seriously care about sq. It is obviously that v1.10 file is bigger regardless of less fuctions than newer versions. And bigger for what if not for sq. Times when careless programmer made mistakes passed long ago.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #10,940 of 12,862
Apart from the IER-M9s, I'm looking at either these, the N3 or the EE Bravados for out-n-about.

Did you face any issues with the Z5 interconnects while swapping cables?
I bought my Z5 secondhand and when swapping from the stock cable with the locking notches I experienced the odd cut out on the left side. I was using the non-Kimber Sony balanced cable which was actually quite a loose fit - I remedied this by putting a small bit of tape around the bottom plastic outer part of the connector and never had an issue.
A factor to consider is fit, they are quite a heavy design. I frequently had issues getting them to sit in my ears (over-ear) and not move. As much as I loved the sound and would've been happy to stick with them, I just had to let them go as there is nothing more frustrating than having to constantly readjust. I tried the M7 and M9 when I was in Japan but as pleasant as they sounded and as comfortable as they were (really comfortable solid fit) I was missing the dynamic driver sound of the hybrid Z5 - I ended up with another brand.
Because I missed the Sony hybrid sound I saw a good secondhand price on an N3 so I use these as my carry around iems - they sound very nice, have a better fit than the Z5 in my opinion. I haven't used them balanced as they are for a quick listen with my phone or for movies with my tablet.
Feel free to pm me about any other Z5, N3 opinions.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #10,941 of 12,862
Because I missed the Sony hybrid sound I saw a good secondhand price on an N3 so I use these as my carry around iems - they sound very nice, have a better fit than the Z5 in my opinion. I haven't used them balanced as they are for a quick listen with my phone or for movies with my tablet.
Feel free to pm me about any other Z5, N3 opinions.

Thanks mate, that helped.

Looks like the Z5 is out of contention for out-n-about then.

Will check EE Bravado or N3 (or this BLON BL03 I've been hearin about)

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #10,942 of 12,862
I really don't know why folks do not try previous fw if they seriously care about sq.

Hmmm...I don't think people spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars, if they're not serious about sq. If they weren't, you'd find people here with a modern phone and off the shelf earphones. They're good enough for non-serious folks.

People aren't going back to old because they're happy with the present sound? Or they trust the Sony engineers to update the firmware for the better. Or because it's too much hassle and there's that risk of bricking a device or voiding any warranty claims (Sony clearly states, After updating, the firmware cannot be reverted to an earlier version) Or all of the above.

nhk2508, post:It is obviously that v1.10 file is bigger regardless of less fuctions than newer versions. And bigger for what if not for sq.

Unless you can decode that fw, we're just speculating here.

Just like the fw 2.02 which is 113mb and only:
  • Improves the transition between tracks when played back via Bluetooth

nhk2508, post: Times when careless programmer made mistakes passed long ago.

You'd be surprised!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #10,943 of 12,862
Does anybody know if a firmware released later covers what's already been updated in earlier firmwares?

Case in point, if someone were to buy a ZX300 that's never been updated, would he need to apply each firmware chronologically? Or would the latest firmware cover all bases?

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #10,944 of 12,862
You just need to install the newest version.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #10,946 of 12,862
I really don't know why folks do not try previous fw if they seriously care about sq. It is obviously that v1.10 file is bigger regardless of less fuctions than newer versions. And bigger for what if not for sq. Times when careless programmer made mistakes passed long ago.

Bigger is not better. In fact, it's often worse - means there's more bloat, poor compression or coding practises going on.

Armchair programmers and engineers are my favourite type of people on the net.

My ZX300 started on v1.10 before upgrading to v2.0. The differences:

v1.10 kept crashing whenever I played with playlists
No support for the BT receiver

When I upgraded to v2.0, I honestly for a second thought that the highs sounded more sparkly. Then I went back to a store with a v1.10 ZX300, then realised I was just imagining things.

Gotcha!

Although, can a clean voltage have any bearing on the quality of bass (well defined?) as Sony claims?

Sure, but if it's dirty voltage, it'll affect a whole lot more than the quality of bass. Usually, when people talk about powerful bass, it's because there's sufficient current or power, not voltage.

About the hiss on the 3.5mm, it still bugs me how the gimped out jack produces it, compared to the 4.4mm for you.

Never experienced it on any phones I used though.

It'd be well funny if one of your co-workers got themselves a DAP with 4.4mm to use that beauty of an earphone :)

Although most people think I'm mental for using a dedicated source, leave alone one that costs $600, so you're probably safe. Ain't for the common man et al.

I'm just nitpicking it because I was very surprised at that revelation. The only time I noticed it was in the dead of night in my room, just about to nod off and sleep. Otherwise, I never noticed the hiss. In terms of hissiness, this is much less than the Fiio DAPs, so if you're sensitive about it, just try it out.

For the record, the IER-M9 only hissed from my computer output (unsurprising). Not even a crappy phone hissed on the M9s.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #10,947 of 12,862
Thanks mate, that helped.

Looks like the Z5 is out of contention for out-n-about then.

Will check EE Bravado or N3 (or this BLON BL03 I've been hearin about)
If you like lots of bass in your music, the Bravado is for you. Mids are slightly recessed (but just slightly), and treble is glorious. But the bass, man, the bass! It's a fun IEM that sounds pricier than it is.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #10,948 of 12,862
If you like lots of bass in your music, the Bravado is for you. Mids are slightly recessed (but just slightly), and treble is glorious. But the bass, man, the bass! It's a fun IEM that sounds pricier than it is.
Personally i prefer the N3... more open and more details including a very decent low end. Bravado was too much bass for me.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #10,949 of 12,862
anybody use self-powered usb hub for charging zx300 battery?? how good it is? is it safe??
been charging zx300 through my notebook usb port till now , but lately i need more usb port to use , i am thinking about buying an usb hub for other stuff also for charging and transfer music my zx300.
reffer to help guide on sony website about charging there is a note written " Charging from a USB hub is only guaranteed when you use a self-powered USB hub that carries an authorized logo." what is an authorized logo on usb hub? i cant find it on google
im planning to get ORICO 12 Port with BC 1.2 (P12-U3) http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6397 (self powered usb with 12V/5A power adapter i think its around 12V/2.4A for each usb port) still have no idea does it have an authorized logo or not..

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #10,950 of 12,862
anybody use self-powered usb hub for charging zx300 battery?? how good it is? is it safe??
been charging zx300 through my notebook usb port till now , but lately i need more usb port to use , i am thinking about buying an usb hub for other stuff also for charging and transfer music my zx300.
reffer to help guide on sony website about charging there is a note written " Charging from a USB hub is only guaranteed when you use a self-powered USB hub that carries an authorized logo." what is an authorized logo on usb hub? i cant find it on google
im planning to get ORICO 12 Port with BC 1.2 (P12-U3) http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6397 (self powered usb with 12V/5A power adapter i think its around 12V/2.4A for each usb port) still have no idea does it have an authorized logo or not..
I think it should work as i have tried it with a similar USB (self powered) hub with 4 usb ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back