Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 24, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #10,786 of 12,862
Yikes - no way in hell would I have ever purchased it at $700 USD.

I've learned something over the years with Sony - their list price is ridiculous, but wait 6 months and watch the prices plummet.

Yea I'd only buy DAPs used.

Got my ZX300 + OEM Leather Case + OEM MicroUSB dongle for only $350 in perfect condition so I can't complain. Tbh I think even at $700 it's worth it if you have enough audiophile gear to use it with. This is a premium quality product and I haven't heard anyone having sound, screen, or hardware issues ever.

But if I were in the market for a new one I'd def get the 300A version and just put in a Microcenter 256gb card in for $28.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #10,787 of 12,862
Yea I'd only buy DAPs used.

Got my ZX300 + OEM Leather Case + OEM MicroUSB dongle for only $350 in perfect condition so I can't complain. Tbh I think even at $700 it's worth it if you have enough audiophile gear to use it with. This is a premium quality product and I haven't heard anyone having sound, screen, or hardware issues ever.

But if I were in the market for a new one I'd def get the 300A version and just put in a Microcenter 256gb card in for $28.
Agree, bought a used 300A for $275, added in an existing 400gb Samsung Evo and bought a Dignis case, all in $350 and a solid performer
20191024_105807.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #10,788 of 12,862
Agree, bought a used 300A for $275, added in an existing 400gb Samsung Evo and bought a Dignis case, all in $350 and a solid performer

What IEMs are those? I'm looking to buy new ones as my DUNU 1000 cables are stiff and annoying. Really love the sound from DUNU 1000 but can only go on recommendations as I have no way to test iems.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #10,789 of 12,862
Fearless S4 with wood face plates. People are 50/50 on them, I like them, very neutral/analytical signature similar to my EE Spartan's. If you like a fun or bass oriented signature they are not for you. The only IEM I am looking at buying (sold almost all my stuff recently) is the CA Fibae Black, they incorporate the fun signature similar to my EE Bravados and are in an excellent price range >500 usd in custom fit. I heard them at Canjam SoCal this year as someone had a pair and fell for them.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #10,791 of 12,862
I managed to secure an apartment a 40 minute commute from work. Getting set for extended ZX300 listening :cool:

Over the last few months, on my many bus travels to view new apartments (to extend my commute and therefore ZX300 listening time) I got more and more used to the ZX300 and its idiosynchrasies in the field.

The RMT-NWS20 blue tooth remote does pair easily. My lanyard solution is secure however inferior to the good ol' inline solution.

The first reason it is inferior is there is no goddamn information on the thing. I have hundreds of MDs and in the '90s I would be chillin on the bus in the dark and wonder what the current track was, grab that backlit remote from the outside of my jacket or bag and see the artist and track instantly. I even did this in the '10s with my much missed MZ-RH10 HiMD walkman. I now have to pull my whole damn walkman out of my bag to see the same information I used to see much more readily.

Second reason is it's not INLINE. Keeping my rig together makes more sense to me, but Sony make it hard. You can either use the clip that allows you to weave the cable into it or the alligator clip, not both. See having the remote attached to the cable but not secured to a bag or clothing adds an uncomfortable weight to your earphones, and for me makes the earphones come free from my ears. I will carry out some mods I think so I can do both, just like the old days. Secured to my headphone cable but also able to be secured to a pocket or lapel or bag with the clip so as not to drag on the IEMS. Ridiculous I have to do this in 2019.

PLEASE SONY, release a backlit remote with a display, cable guides and a clip. I think a lot of people would love this. Even the casual spotify phone listeners. Also, please, make it look good like you used to, don't copy AK or whatever is apparantly cool now. Just use that ol' Sony style.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #10,792 of 12,862
My Senn MTWs tend to need the ZX300 worn on the same side as the receiver, on those it's in the right ear so right hand pockets work best for me (I've had to do similar things with Fiios, iPhones and other BT headphones before). I'm using aptX as the MTWs don't have LDAC, I think LDAC needs more bandwidth so may be more demanding on signal strength. The iPhone alas doesn't do aptX or LDAC so hard to compare performance due to differences in the signal strength/bandwidth of the connection.

I have used the ZX300/MTW combo while moving around a busy EM filled data centre with the ZX300 still in my jacket at the main door and even with all that electronics, steel and BT unfriendly stuff in the way it's held up well. :)

Still getting this problem with the connection cutting out when I’m on the train. Doesn’t matter what codec I’m using or where the ZX300 is positioned. But the connection is rock-solid with the iPhone. Shame really.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #10,794 of 12,862
to get my iem's working in balanced, I just need a 4.4mm Balance Male to 2.5mm Balance Female Converter ?
not sure how it works

No, you need a full balanced cable. It's easie to find it terminated with a 2.5mm connector, so you will need also an adapter to get convert from 2,5 to 4,4mm.

If your actual IEMs are terminated in a 2,5mm connector maybe the cable is already balanced and you only need the 4.4mm adapter, but if they are the DUNU-1000 in your signature, they are terminated in 3,5mm connector and the cable is not replaceable.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #10,795 of 12,862
I'm really a tube sound fan, and our beloved NW-Z300X can shine even more connected to this BA300S, a beautiful design from the japanese Oriolus that connects to the 4.4mm output and offers +3dB and 350mW of output power.

Incredible sound from my Massdrop Plus and the combo.

YSjU1tY.jpg

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #10,796 of 12,862
As Freddie Mercury would say... "It's a kind of magic" :)

It's almost magic the sound that the Oriolus BA300S can deliver from the Sony NW-ZX300. It's ritcher and smoother in the mids, but it also more impactful with bass and the highs are incredibly detailed, yet smooth enough not to be harsh on my ears. And soundstage is even a tad more open...

A perfect match. Even phisically as it has to be designed with the NW-ZX300 in mind.

2QRW5Ur.jpg

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #10,797 of 12,862
Anyone used the Fiio Q5s with the ZX300?

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #10,799 of 12,862
I wanted to do a quick follow up post after my earlier concerns on the wobbly buttons. Seems that the silver version which I tried had firmer feeling buttons (insert innuendo here), and comparing two black ZX300s, there's a bit of variance, though very very subtle.

Comparing two side by side, it was difficult to discern much of a difference, so it was my OCD looking for something that may not have been there.

It's a minor detail to be sure, though I think I need to get on and enjoy the audio. It seems as though any wiggle is 'in spec' and likely to outlive the person listening to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back