Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 22, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #10,771 of 12,862
Need some recommendations for IEMs as I dont like using the sony mdr-1am2 out.

I have DUNU 1000 which still sound great with the zx300 but the cables went stiff.
-any recommendations on cable replacement service? will balanced cable help any? Volume seems fine.
-should I just use that money toward a new IEM, if so, I'm looking for a value buy with a definite increase in SQ

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #10,772 of 12,862
After 700+ pages of useful information, I've recently joined the Sony NW-ZX300 owner's club.

So far, so... wonderful, using the balanced output and a pair of Massdrop Plus iems, I'm so impressed that I shared my full experience with a detailed review in a separated post.

Thanks for your hard work, keep goin'

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300-massdrop-plus-a-great-portable-combination.917508/

xUTbjoO.jpg

:)

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #10,774 of 12,862
After lurking for some time, I have (finally) gotten my first DAP, the NW-ZX300 (black).

The overall build is quite nice, though I wanted to know from other users if the buttons (specifically the FF / play / rew) feel less than firm. The volume and power buttons are contoured and firm, while the three I noted are flat buttons set into a curved section of the case. The FF feels to me to be the button with the most amount of movement.

So, I am only asking if this is 'normal' for this detail.

Also the 4.4mm jack edge feels slightly rough to the touch as well, as an unfinished edge if that makes sense.

I am really looking forward to the sound of the unit, but the build quality questions caused me to pause before linking and uploading sound files.

17-L.jpg

18-L.jpg

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #10,776 of 12,862
My buttons are the same, and the very edge of the gold plated 4.4mm balanced jack also has a rough edge, so I know exactly what you mean. I actually ordered x3 replacements to see if they were all the same, and they were (apart from a dead pixel on one of them too).

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #10,777 of 12,862
My buttons are the same in the rew/play/fwd and one of the buttons is slightly deeper than the others.

Thanks. Does it have a slight wiggle? Seems the play and rew are more robust, while the ff button has more movement.

Sorry for my OCD. Being a big Sony enthusiast (older ES equipment from the 90s, other portables), I was surprised at the varying attention to details on the controls.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #10,778 of 12,862
My buttons are the same, and the very edge of the gold plated 4.4mm balanced jack also has a rough edge, so I know exactly what you mean. I actually ordered x3 replacements to see if they were all the same, and they were (apart from a dead pixel on one of them too).

Thank you for your reply. Also, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed the details.

(I am working to minimize my OCD, it's quite a journey - laughs)

Yes, it's the balanced jack that was rough to the touch, in combination with the button 'wiggle'. The adjacent power / volume is firm, so I suppose I assumed the rew/play/ff would feel similar, though they do not.

Where did you purchase your XZ300? I was nearly going the same route as you did, and inquire about a replacement.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #10,779 of 12,862
Thank you for your reply. Also, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed the details.

(I am working to minimize my OCD, it's quite a journey - laughs)

Yes, it's the balanced jack that was rough to the touch, in combination with the button 'wiggle'. The adjacent power / volume is firm, so I suppose I assumed the rew/play/ff would feel similar, though they do not.

Where did you purchase your XZ300? I was nearly going the same route as you did, and inquire about a replacement.

so, I got mine from Amazon UK... and they were really good about just sending more out... although they’ve stopped that now I think, for product over a certain price bracket.

I’m OCD also, but generally only about things that I pay for that I feel should have better quality control!

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #10,780 of 12,862
so, I got mine from Amazon UK... and they were really good about just sending more out... although they’ve stopped that now I think, for product over a certain price bracket.

I’m OCD also, but generally only about things that I pay for that I feel should have better quality control!

I completely agree with this point. Sound and audio of course is the reason we were drawn to spend this much money - USD list price is $700. And 700+ pages of fawning over the ZX300, seems the quality control of the hardware switchgear was not discussed.

While I can very much appreciate the attention to audio innovations, $700 for a modern day Walkman is still a substantial amount of money, much less the higher priced 1Z or 1A.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #10,781 of 12,862
I completely agree with this point. Sound and audio of course is the reason we were drawn to spend this much money - USD list price is $700. And 700+ pages of fawning over the ZX300, seems the quality control of the hardware switchgear was not discussed.

While I can very much appreciate the attention to audio innovations, $700 for a modern day Walkman is still a substantial amount of money, much less the higher priced 1Z or 1A.

Errr, dunno where you're quoting, but I paid $600 AUD (around $420 USD) for them.

Also, no quality issues to speak off besides the slight wiggle - buttons are firm and very clicky.

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #10,782 of 12,862
Errr, dunno where you're quoting, but I paid $600 AUD (around $420 USD) for them.

Also, no quality issues to speak off besides the slight wiggle - buttons are firm and very clicky.

True, that's list price, and your $600 AUD was far better than the price I paid - well done. In the US, they list at $700 at many retailers though.

Though a wiggle is a wiggle - and that's a quality issue where I work. As well as the rough edge of the 4.4mm jack.

To balance that, the display and case are spectacular, not to mention the technology within.

Like a Ferrari with a sandpaper seat and a loose steering wheel (laughs).

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #10,783 of 12,862
Thanks. Does it have a slight wiggle? Seems the play and rew are more robust, while the ff button has more movement.

Sorry for my OCD. Being a big Sony enthusiast (older ES equipment from the 90s, other portables), I was surprised at the varying attention to details on the controls.

never noticed until now, play button has slight wiggle, and rewind button is deeper and not flush, ff button seems perfect.
It doesn't bother me at all though. They still have a premium click to me. If they weren't metal it would annoy me so I'm glad they are. It's just too bad they are shallower than the beefier + - buttons.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #10,784 of 12,862
True, that's list price, and your $600 AUD was far better than the price I paid - well done. In the US, they list at $700 at many retailers though.

Though a wiggle is a wiggle - and that's a quality issue where I work. As well as the rough edge of the 4.4mm jack.

To balance that, the display and case are spectacular, not to mention the technology within.

Like a Ferrari with a sandpaper seat and a loose steering wheel (laughs).

Yikes - no way in hell would I have ever purchased it at $700 USD.

I've learned something over the years with Sony - their list price is ridiculous, but wait 6 months and watch the prices plummet.

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #10,785 of 12,862
never noticed until now, play button has slight wiggle, and rewind button is deeper and not flush, ff button seems perfect.
It doesn't bother me at all though. They still have a premium click to me. If they weren't metal it would annoy me so I'm glad they are. It's just too bad they are shallower than the beefier + - buttons.

True, and I suppose I have to take things on balance. Overall, it's an excellent case, with great contents. Some details. . . well . . . .

I was able to compare mine with another ZX300 this evening, that unit's buttons did not have any perceived wiggle. In fact, I tapped the case of mine while listening. The buttons had a bit of a rattle. The other ZX300 did not have that at all, so there's a range of build detail perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back