Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 8, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #10,816 of 12,862
Has anyone been able to get MQA working from Tidal to the ZX300 in USB DAC mode or was this still a non-starter? ie No MQA via USB DAC mode full stop? Checking through the pages on here, it looks like a no but there’s a lot to get through!

I hadn’t even realised that Tidal now supports MQA on the iOS app and was then wondering whether MQA would stream to the ZX300 when using the USB3 lightning dongle, would be great news if so – I don’t have one to test but if it did then I’d get one.

Cheers

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #10,818 of 12,862
I've got a similar bubble on the matte protector too, I think I could have been more careful putting it on, did you have spares on hand?

Also found sensitivity has dropped a bit using the protector, but prefer to keep it on at the moment

Agree. I'd rather have the protection and a minor bubble than the alternative. I can always pick with it some other time.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #10,819 of 12,862
Regarding charging, I am assuming it's possible to use a wall outlet USB charger (like the small Apple cube) with the ZX? Only asking since my laptop goes into sleep mode, and doesn't charge the ZX as it's effectively shutting off power to the USB outlet.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #10,822 of 12,862
Regarding charging, I am assuming it's possible to use a wall outlet USB charger (like the small Apple cube) with the ZX? Only asking since my laptop goes into sleep mode, and doesn't charge the ZX as it's effectively shutting off power to the USB outlet.
I think there is a power setting in Windows to prevent it shutting down when usb is in use - might be wrong though

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #10,823 of 12,862

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #10,824 of 12,862
Nov 12, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #10,825 of 12,862
how easily does the screen scratch if you take care of it ? i also have a the oem leather case and ordered a tempered glass https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...1.0&pvid=fa1ea75e-e6fa-407c-ab50-695607e7971b

but haven't put it on because it wont be as clean looking and i figure i'll never scratch it on accident as i close the case whenever possible

Easily, it's the same as any phone you might own. Unless you have a sapphire 'glass' screen, it's going to scratch.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #10,826 of 12,862
how easily does the screen scratch if you take care of it ? i also have a the oem leather case and ordered a tempered glass https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...1.0&pvid=fa1ea75e-e6fa-407c-ab50-695607e7971b

but haven't put it on because it wont be as clean looking and i figure i'll never scratch it on accident as i close the case whenever possible

For me the key part here is "if you take care of it". Mine is over a year old now, I keep it in a silicone case but no screen protector and zero scratches it's like new. Always make sure to never put it in a bag or pocket with keys, coins or any hard/sharp objects and it will be fine. If you can't trust yourself to never do that then I would recommend that you fit a screen protector.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #10,827 of 12,862
Easily, it's the same as any phone you might own. Unless you have a sapphire 'glass' screen, it's going to scratch.
I wouldn't agree that it scratches "easily" - it's a hardened glass screen with a matte finish, so it'd need something pretty abrasive to scratch it. Bu if I was going to keep it in a pocket with keys etc. or pack it into a bag with hard objects then I wouldn't trust a screen protector even with a device with gorilla glass etc. For a device that costs £500 plus I think the extra cost for the Sony case is worthwhile.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #10,828 of 12,862
I do have another take on this. If there was a better selection of high-end earbuds available for the NW-ZX300 we wouldn't have to handle the device as much while travelling (which is why it's called a Walkman). I get great audio quality and noise cancelling using my wired Bose QC i20s, but of course the remote buttons aren't compatible with the Sony device, only Apple (and on the Bose QC20 "non-Apple" version the remotes only work with Android/Samsung devices). I also get good audio and N/C using Sony's WI-SP600Ns (not quite as good as the Bose QCs); obviously the remote functions work OK but they have limited battery life and also using Bluetooth also reduces the playback time of the NW-ZX300.
Does anyone know of wired, noise canceling earbuds with remote buttons that are compatible with the NW-ZX300

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #10,829 of 12,862
I had the same "have to take great care of" feeling when I first got the ZX1. But after 2-3 years I just didn`t care anymore. I had that for almost 5 years before I finally sold it last month. And I sold it for 200usd in a "very used" condition ;P

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #10,830 of 12,862
I wouldn't agree that it scratches "easily" - it's a hardened glass screen with a matte finish, so it'd need something pretty abrasive to scratch it. Bu if I was going to keep it in a pocket with keys etc. or pack it into a bag with hard objects then I wouldn't trust a screen protector even with a device with gorilla glass etc. For a device that costs £500 plus I think the extra cost for the Sony case is worthwhile.

Luckily for our devices, there's something that's pretty abrasive:

StarWars-AttackoftheClones-1.jpg

Glass is nowhere near as hard as you may think, even toughened ones like Gorilla Glass (which actually isn't that hard).

I do have another take on this. If there was a better selection of high-end earbuds available for the NW-ZX300 we wouldn't have to handle the device as much while travelling (which is why it's called a Walkman). I get great audio quality and noise cancelling using my wired Bose QC i20s, but of course the remote buttons aren't compatible with the Sony device, only Apple (and on the Bose QC20 "non-Apple" version the remotes only work with Android/Samsung devices). I also get good audio and N/C using Sony's WI-SP600Ns (not quite as good as the Bose QCs); obviously the remote functions work OK but they have limited battery life and also using Bluetooth also reduces the playback time of the NW-ZX300.
Does anyone know of wired, noise canceling earbuds with remote buttons that are compatible with the NW-ZX300

No remote buttons work except for the BT remote. That's because it relies on the 4th connection on a TRRS jack to be read, something the ZX300 does not have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back