Sony NW-ZX300
May 8, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #9,796 of 12,862
Anyone in the UK looking for IEM to pair with ZX300, I can recommend the AKG N40. (Although a higher end headphone might be more what someone is looking for.) The reason why I say this now is because AKG N40 is currently on sale with Richer Sounds for about 60% off. They are £350 R.R.P., and now on sale for £150. Impossible to resist at that price. I bought a second pair anyway because I wanted some back up for when I lose or break mine. Plus I can actually use two pairs.

However given the sound quality, £150 is an unfettered bargain. I have loved mine since day one. Even when on my £50 iPod Shuffle, they were nothing short of brilliant. On the ZX300 they are sublime.
That's indeed a great deal, wish they shipped internationally, i'd grab one since i'm out of usable iems (decent ones that is).

May 9, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #9,799 of 12,862
They are same price on amazon.co.uk too.

Yeah they are. They are listed as Prime items, and are Richer Sounds stock, but might work for international shipping.

That's indeed a great deal, wish they shipped internationally, i'd grab one since i'm out of usable iems (decent ones that is).

It might be worth calling their central phone number a telephone call, to if you could pay for shipping.

The AKG N40 are stunning headphones. Their only downside is they don't ship with a balanced cable. They are single ended and balanced ear-pieces though; if you could find a balanced cable you like, all good.​

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #9,800 of 12,862
They are same price on amazon.co.uk too.

Yeah they are. They are listed as Prime items, and are Richer Sounds stock, but might work for international shipping.

It might be worth calling their central phone number a telephone call, to if you could pay for shipping.

The AKG N40 are stunning headphones. Their only downside is they don't ship with a balanced cable. They are single ended and balanced ear-pieces though; if you could find a balanced cable you like, all good.​

Thanks for the heads up guys! i'll look into it, will get a pair if they're willing to ship them.

May 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #9,801 of 12,862
Here is my new combo. The Empire Ears Bravado sounds really good with the ZX300, and it comes with the balanced cable at no additional cost. Very pleased.

The bass and the mids are perfect. the treble is sparkly without any harshness, and is a good change from all my 'dark' headphones. Now I have to be patient, and wait for the balanced output on the ZX300 to burn in, but it already sounds great.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b5.jpg

May 9, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #9,802 of 12,862
Next person to buy a brand new one and is in the SF Bay Area, LMK. I want to compare a brand new one to my heavily used one. All this "port burn in" is kinda ridiculous lol.

May 9, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #9,803 of 12,862
Here is my new combo. The Empire Ears Bravado sounds really good with the ZX300, and it comes with the balanced cable at no additional cost. Very pleased.

The bass and the mids are perfect. the treble is sparkly without any harshness, and is a good change from all my 'dark' headphones. Now I have to be patient, and wait for the balanced output on the ZX300 to burn in, but it already sounds great.

Nice. Still looking for a better iem.

I’ve primarily been using my zx300 at work via aptX Bluetooth to a Dali Katch speaker. Phenomenal. Loud enough to cover the sound of moving conveyors, detailed enough to be enjoyable at close range at near ear bleeding decibels. Kind of a spendy combo, but damn I love it!

May 9, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #9,804 of 12,862
Next person to buy a brand new one and is in the SF Bay Area, LMK. I want to compare a brand new one to my heavily used one. All this "port burn in" is kinda ridiculous lol.
I would have a tendency to agree with that. I kinda believe in brain burn-in, but have always been skeptical regarding component burn-in. However, I try to keep an open mind :D

May 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #9,805 of 12,862
Nice. Still looking for a better iem.

I’ve primarily been using my zx300 at work via aptX Bluetooth to a Dali Katch speaker. Phenomenal. Loud enough to cover the sound of moving conveyors, detailed enough to be enjoyable at close range at near ear bleeding decibels. Kind of a spendy combo, but damn I love it!
Originally, I was tempted by the new Campfire IO, but after reading many reviews about the weak bass, i decided to pass. The Bravado has a reputation for heavy bass apparently, but I didn't find it overwhelming at all. It's just the right amount, and I listen mostly to Drum&Bass. I haven't listened to anything but with headphones for a long while now. Your post is tempting me to try speakers again, but I'll try to resist...for now :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #9,806 of 12,862
A good speaker system is a treat. Whether you can use it to full capability is always a question. Going from a house to an apartment changes things. No more late night vinyl sessions. No more volume independent of consequence. The Dali Katch doesn’t provide the full bass range. I think it cuts out at 54 mhz. It’s mono. But for nearfield listening, and rocking the dock at impressive sound levels while retaining detail, it’s excellent. Great sound within 10,000 square feet. Good to 20,000, diffuse but hearable at 40,000. And fits in my backpack.

Fed lossless from the zx300, it’s perfect in my living room, or the warehouse.

No, it’s no replacement for even a midrange set of speakers at home. But it’s close.

May 10, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #9,807 of 12,862
I would have a tendency to agree with that. I kinda believe in brain burn-in, but have always been skeptical regarding component burn-in. However, I try to keep an open mind :D
The thing is, if you aren't listening during the burn in process the how do you know anything has changed and 200hrs is a long difference in time to remember how it sounded at hour zero.

May 10, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #9,808 of 12,862
The thing is, if you aren't listening during the burn in process the how do you know anything has changed and 200hrs is a long difference in time to remember how it sounded at hour zero.
I'm not a big burn-in fan, rarely noticed anything beyond a couple of hours on previous equipment but there were things that sounded really wrong with my zx300 at first and I might have returned it if not for seeing all the comments on burn-in. All of the issues went away gradually at around 20/50/100 hours, beyond that I couldn't spot things I didn't like.
I still feel Sony should pre-burn these as the sound really feels like it changes for the better and the time it takes could easily exceed the return window for a lot of people (I did a couple of 20+ hour burn-ins without listening at weekends in the first couple of weeks to speed things on).
Of course your mileage may vary depending on headphones, music, socket, ears, previous things for comparison etc. :)

May 10, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #9,809 of 12,862
That is so true. I never bother anyway. I start listening and enjoying from day 1. If it changes for the better during the first 200 hrs, then fine. I probably won't notice, and will keep enjoying. Life is too short, and there's too much good music out there.

May 10, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,810 of 12,862
Since i picked up my ZX300, My Spotify acct has been collecting dust. I must admit, it is quite refreshing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back