Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 7, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #7,816 of 12,862
I tried the new cover art feature from the 2.0 firmware, but couldn't manage to make it work. I tried it with folder full of DSF files that I couldn't manage to tag properly before and also with one with regular FLACs that were tagged with cover art, but it was either greater resolution than 600 or (more likely) it was a progressive jpg. So I've put a baseline jpg inside the albums folders and renamed it to be the same as the folder to no avail. I also tried with a non-interlaced png.

Any ideas? Should the extension be 'jpeg' or 'JPG'? Are spaces inside the filenames a problem?

Wow, I found the problem - that new cover art feature kicks in ONLY if the files does not have ANY cover art embedded in them already (even if it is of the kind that zx300 cannot display - for example a progressive jpeg). The embedded covert art always have precedence over the external one and even if cannot be used it blocks the usage of the external one! I think this could be considered a bug - after all one of the main purposes of the trick with the external image file is to easily fix albums that have the "wrong" kind of embedded cover art WITHOUT re-tagging them.

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #7,817 of 12,862
I have noticed how the sound becomes much fuller when enabling the sound effect features all together (except EQ). Unfortunately, they also amplify the background noise such as crackling, popping, or artificial noise effects in a song. Been listening to Keep On by Alfa Mist and the sound changes were pretty obvious when toggling from direct sound output to sound effects on and vice versa.

As for sound changes from previous firmware compared to the new one, I might as well get shot if somebody pointed a gun at me and ask me that question.

0009676504_10.jpg

Never heard of Alfa Mist before, but that Keep On track is simply divine. Just picked up the Antiphon lp. Thanks

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #7,819 of 12,862
Having followed this thread for a year I know there were a few people who may have chosen other daps purely because they couldn't stream - now the Bluetooth dac option has been added Sony should really get the word out as this could have a dramatic impact on sales, even those who decided on another brand may choose to switch the the ZX300.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #7,820 of 12,862
Oct 8, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #7,821 of 12,862
It's just the branding, even if it sounds different, it not that you can really hear the difference between them.

Some of the pros here might, but I can't even hear the difference between the OFC and non OFC.

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #7,822 of 12,862
Experienced my first random restart after the update.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #7,825 of 12,862
Darn and I thought leaving it a few days before updating would have been safe. :)
One nice thing I noticed was that the new digital VU option still keeps the cover art on screen, just slightly smaller.
Update seemed to keep all my settings and BT pairings at least.
Yes i am digging that screen a lot and its my default now :)
Hope these crashes dont recur too much.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #7,827 of 12,862
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #7,828 of 12,862
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #7,829 of 12,862
The cheapest one are probably from Aliexpress.

Only one I could see was the same as the ebay cable I linked. Was more expensive too.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #7,830 of 12,862
Just reading there’s an update for the zx300. Haven’t been around in a while. Can someone tell me what they updated? Just playlists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back