Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,406 of 12,862
Are there any more reviews for this Sony, other than the hands on review from What Hi-Fi?

They seemed impressed with it. User reviews on Amazon UK are strong too.

I am tempted to buy it because I like the form factor, and first impressions are strong. I think won't be able to take advantage of MQA because I use Chord DACs. Meaning I don't buy MQA files, because I think Chord DACs don't work with MQA.

The competition is the A&K AK 70 mk 2. However the Sony is better in ways that I like, other than the fact that I can't compare audio. The Sony is a better size and shape for me, and the battery life wins easily. I like this player from every angle.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,407 of 12,862
I never asked him about the price of the remote, I simply asked him about the possibility of the app remote for smartphones simply because I thought having an app on a smartphone was a good idea because everyone has a smartphone and he told me the entire story willingly about the remote and everything else, because Sato-san is just that kind of guy - you ask him one thing and he eagerly spills the entire backstory like a true engineer, heck you don't ask him anything and he's eager to talk about the story of the devices, which makes him a fun guy to talk to with a drink (just had one with him a couple of weeks ago at the Just ear user meeting), but I suspect the marketing department doesn't' like him spilling secrets like that. :wink:

Also there's no reason to doubt his story - there's literally nothing electronically and software wise special about that remote - it runs on standard BT and the serial commands are standard such that it works with non-Sony devices. Of course that would be the case because they also envisioned third party wireless devices such as BT headphones with build in controls that would connect to these Walkmans (I've tried BT headphones with the Walkmans, they are fully functional, so I don't see how there is any lock in here and things should be adhering to BT standards, and if you can't get them to work, something else is wrong). Sato-san said the main driving force for that remote in the internal team was that they saw other BT remotes and weren't satisfied and wanted something stylish, light and small that could clip onto a shirt, so they made something they themselves wanted first and navigated around the department budget to get it to happen. I see that there's no competing BT remote being more likely the market is small, like Sato-san said, and that even third parties aren't bothering. Both Fiio and AK took a shot at it but both left the market - with AK going the app model, I'd think the writing is pretty clear on the wall that these kinds of product is a niche that's not particularly profitable.

EDIT: A little bit of research shows that the ZX300 BT profile is build around the standard AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile). If you find third party remotes not pairing, the most likely cause is that your BT remote don't have this profile, rather than Sony actively locking out third party BT remotes.

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX300/spec.html
You said it yourself in the above piece: there's nothing even remotely remarkable or unique about that remote.
Then you can choose to do two things: 1. Believe the Sony marketing talk
2. Realize that Sony might have been thinking "hey, these are the kind of people who dish out 1200 usd or 3300 USD (when it was first released, there was no ZX300) for a DAP. Maybe we can raise the price on this one just a...yeah, let's set it pretty high". It's a known pricing strategy, the same as firms apply at numerous luxury goods, because in the light of the first amount (for the DAP) the remote's price might seem rather negligible. That's the psychological trick they're doing on our brains. But taken for what it is- a remote- it's still pretty damn high.

Let's agree to disagree, but no chance I'm buying the Sony talk- and I love Sony :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,408 of 12,862
Setting aside the fact that MQA is just another alphabet soup marketing gimmick that isn't needed and is a lossy compression codec, you should in fact be able to play MQA encoding through a non-MQA DAC. It will not play at the full resolution but will default to a CD quality output. I have played MQA files from Tidal through my Chord Mojo with no problem. Like you, I wouldn't ever buy one.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,410 of 12,862
Some one asked me about battery life on the zx300. I just told her that battery life is something you will never worry about on the zx300. That is just so true.

Merry Christmas all!

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #3,411 of 12,862
I have a pair of Denon AH-D5000 with:
  • Frequency Response
    5 Hz - 50
  • Sensitivity
    106 dB/mW
  • Impedance
    25 Ohm
  • Diaphragm
    50 mm
  • Max Input
    1800 mW
They need a fair amount of power to drive them, and have been used with an Asus Xonar Essence STX with High Gain; how do y'all reckon the ZX300 will handle them?

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,412 of 12,862
I have Sony EX600, EX800 and EX1000, they all need about 80-90 low gain to power them at reasonable volume.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #3,414 of 12,862
Sony Japan repair centre, or you can contacting Sony in your country with the parts number posted futher up the post, you can also try taobao, amazon japan, ebay and aliexpress with the brand Benks.

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #3,417 of 12,862
EX1000, they all need about 80-90 low gain to power them
Thanks, they're excellent IEMs, but anything should drive them well. The D5000 have a 50mm diaphragm which needs to be moved dynamically. While they claim 25ohm imp. I honestly think they missed out a 0, so they're like driving a 250ohm. I have a pair of Shure 530's and they're easy to drive too.

Has anyone driven well, slightly demanding headphones?

Also would a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adopter help drive more demanding headphones? Something like: https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-Adapter-NW-WM1A/dp/B075165H2M

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #3,418 of 12,862
Thanks, they're excellent IEMs, but anything should drive them well. The D5000 have a 50mm diaphragm which needs to be moved dynamically. While they claim 25ohm imp. I honestly think they missed out a 0, so they're like driving a 250ohm. I have a pair of Shure 530's and they're easy to drive too.

Has anyone driven well, slightly demanding headphones?

Also would a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adopter help drive more demanding headphones? Something like: https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-Adapter-NW-WM1A/dp/B075165H2M

Thanks.
I agree, I have the D7000 with the same 25ohm - even my Oppo HA-2 on high gain doesn't satisfy them.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #3,419 of 12,862
Does anyone know which stores in Japan may sell an english/tourist ZX300? I'll be there tomorrow but most of the stores (Sony, e-earphone, Bic-camera, seem to only sell the Japanese one. I'd rather not risk the rock box option if I don't have to.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #3,420 of 12,862
No shops in Japan sells a version with english language. Sony store ginza Japan say a tourist version will not be available in Japan.

And previously Sony international models are available with tax free, but now say tax free has been extended to majority of the product they sell which includes non tourist/international model, but with the exception of a items which they sell are available for Japan only and international model, if they have both, only the tourist/international will be offered tax free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back