Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 25, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #3,421 of 12,862
Does anyone know which stores in Japan may sell an english/tourist ZX300? I'll be there tomorrow but most of the stores (Sony, e-earphone, Bic-camera, seem to only sell the Japanese one. I'd rather not risk the rock box option if I don't have to.
I was interested in trying to purchase an international version as well, I checked sony's international catalogue and only the WM1a/z have an international version and some of their other DAPs. I ended up just getting one from Accessory Jack since the player isn't available in Canada still and they would cover warranty if anything happened

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #3,422 of 12,862
No shops in Japan sells a version with english language. Sony store ginza Japan say a tourist version will not be available in Japan.

And previously Sony international models are available with tax free, but now say tax free has been extended to majority of the product they sell which includes non tourist/international model, but with the exception of a items which they sell are available for Japan only and international model, if they have both, only the tourist/international will be offered tax free.
Thank you for that information - I guess I'll have to try the Rockbox tweak

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3,424 of 12,862
IMG_20171226_101505.jpg

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,426 of 12,862
And the D7000's are more efficient.
I just ordered a ZX300 lets see how it performs.
Unfortunately it is not a simple cable swap to use our Denons with the balanced output.

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #3,427 of 12,862
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #3,429 of 12,862
dreaded = banned here on headfi

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #3,431 of 12,862
What were they banned for
If i am not mistaken it was some sort of paid review for an iem. To be honest i have had no problems with their cables. None whatsoever.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #3,432 of 12,862
charge it only till 90%? Is it worth to do it?
As a bit of a battery expert for the past 20 years, I can tell you without a doubt that keeping Lithium chemistry between 3.78~3.9v per cell is chem neutral and will increase longevity; what this equates to in the BMS as a % is undefined. Whenever voltage moves outside that range more oxidation happens which is degrading your battery.
An Asus tablet 100% equated to 4.12v and 0% = 3.55v.
My RC charger 90%=4v.

% really depends on the BMS and some manufactures like to ensure no puffing and go conservative, others don't.
But really I think Europe with all it's regulations should mandate user replaceable batteries, bcos you're going to lose ~50% in <5 years with conservative use, and the max you can expect is <10 years.
I think Sony claim 500 charges, 15hrs music = 312 days if you're lucky.

My Dell XPS charges from 50-70%, I believe it best to always keep your device 30-70% for best battery longevity.
100% battery long time is worst.
0% for long 2nd worst.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,433 of 12,862
As a bit of a battery expert for the past 20 years, I can tell you without a doubt that keeping Lithium chemistry between 3.78~3.9v per cell is chem neutral and will increase longevity; what this equates to in the BMS as a % is undefined. Whenever voltage moves outside that range more oxidation happens which is degrading your battery.
An Asus tablet 100% equated to 4.12v and 0% = 3.55v.
My RC charger 90%=4v.

% really depends on the BMS and some manufactures like to ensure no puffing and go conservative, others don't.
But really I think Europe with all it's regulations should mandate user replaceable batteries, bcos you're going to lose ~50% in <5 years with conservative use, and the max you can expect is <10 years.
I think Sony claim 500 charges, 15hrs music = 312 days if you're lucky.

My Dell XPS charges from 50-70%, I believe it best to always keep your device 30-70% for best battery longevity.
100% battery long time is worst.
0% for long 2nd worst.
Great to know - as batteries are generally not user replaceable I'm very much into battery preservation on all my gadgets. So using the battery care setting is recommended?

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,434 of 12,862
I've arrived in Japan a little disheartened recently learning that an English model is not sold here, I thought they usually cater for the tourists coming to worship this electronic Mecca. Bummer.
Anyway, moving right along, as I would be very nervous to do something wrong using the rockbox English tweak (I know it is probably easy) and because I am a hop skip and a jump from Hong Kong I was thinking of purchasing from there and getting it shipped.
If I buy from Hong Kong which version do they sell? Would that be the destination code E (English, uncapped)? Also can anyone please tell me if Accessory Jack is a good point of purchase, or recommend another dealer who will ship from Hong Kong?
I remember people saying that there were differences in the colourings of their jacks depending if they came from Japan or Hong Kong - are there any quality factors to consider between different country models I need to consider.
Apologies for the long post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back