Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #3,394 of 12,862
If you want to talk about X-billion dollar company....
Division capital/cost and R&D is often separated - not shared - for multiple purposes, one of them is such that one division won't leech off the success of another for fear of another department being lazy and wasteful. For Sony Audio, they actually don't have many BT remotes devices and couldn't piggy back on anything.
I actually talked with Sato-san before about this remote (I wanted to ask him whether they have plans to make a remote app for smartphones - he said the audio department don't have the budget to get iOS/Android developers and go through the submission process just for one app with highly unknown demand - take that what you will), the cost/return of this remote almost left it on the chopping board as all the cost had to paid for by the Audio department, they only managed to push it out by taking left over electronic parts from other audio devices and can only make it in small quantities as they cannot forecast the demand (remember this is WAY before the success of the WM1 series and thus the success of the Audio department of recent years, and they didn't expect people with A-series would want a remote). It's actually not something they make a huge profit on.
I certainly get that it's a limited device sales wise, especially as only sold in limited markets and the functionality is actually removed in other markets but I think the locking the ZX300 function to only recognise the UID of the limited Sony remote and ignore all other standard BT media remotes (even though the Sony one seems to use open standards for that actual functionality) is a little sneaky. If they aren't going to have the budget to develop their own remotes further then hopefully they'll be more generous in future and unlock the pairing on the DAPs via a firmware update. :wink:

For now I'm just hoping that Santa will be able to delivery my remote in time. :santa::snail::ship::flag_jp:

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,396 of 12,862
What I like about the the BT on the ZX300, they work indepently, the BT remote and the BT headphones can be connected together, or individually.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,398 of 12,862
Class 10 or any fast UHS 1 cards will do.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,400 of 12,862
I´ve been thinking about upgrading to a DAP with balanced output... Currently using a Walkman A35 that I got for cheap, so the ZX300 is the first thing that came to mind. I´m really liking the Sony sound, much clearer and more dynamic than my iPhone. That being said, ZX300 price is more or less the same as the just released A&K AK70 mkII. Anyone had the chance to compare the two yet? Preferably with low ohm sensitive IEMs (not going to be using any full size headphones with it).

Also has anyone measured the output impedance yet? Sony doesn´t seem to publish this information for some odd reason.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,401 of 12,862
I´ve been thinking about upgrading to a DAP with balanced output... Currently using a Walkman A35 that I got for cheap, so the ZX300 is the first thing that came to mind. I´m really liking the Sony sound, much clearer and more dynamic than my iPhone. That being said, ZX300 price is more or less the same as the just released A&K AK70 mkII. Anyone had the chance to compare the two yet? Preferably with low ohm sensitive IEMs (not going to be using any full size headphones with it).

Also has anyone measured the output impedance yet? Sony doesn´t seem to publish this information for some odd reason.

there should be a measurement made by venture electronics ceo lee in former pages. if i remember right, it was around 1.5 ohm.

Dec 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,402 of 12,862
If you want to talk about X-billion dollar company....
Division capital/cost and R&D is often separated - not shared - for multiple purposes, one of them is such that one division won't leech off the success of another for fear of another department being lazy and wasteful. For Sony Audio, they actually don't have many BT remotes devices and couldn't piggy back on anything.
I actually talked with Sato-san before about this remote (I wanted to ask him whether they have plans to make a remote app for smartphones - he said the audio department don't have the budget to get iOS/Android developers and go through the submission process just for one app with highly unknown demand - take that what you will), the cost/return of this remote almost left it on the chopping board as all the cost had to paid for by the Audio department, they only managed to push it out by taking left over electronic parts from other audio devices and can only make it in small quantities as they cannot forecast the demand (remember this is WAY before the success of the WM1 series and thus the success of the Audio department of recent years, and they didn't expect people with A-series would want a remote). It's actually not something they make a huge profit on.
Like, ofcourse he will say that lol. He's already apologizing for the price, going with what you just told me.

I tell you one additional thing: if there comes out a competing remote for this one, you will see the price drop faster than you can say 'aaah' :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,404 of 12,862
Like, ofcourse he will say that lol. He's already apologizing for the price, going with what you just told me.

I tell you one additional thing: if there comes out a competing remote for this one, you will see the price drop faster than you can say 'aaah' :wink:

I never asked him about the price of the remote, I simply asked him about the possibility of the app remote for smartphones simply because I thought having an app on a smartphone was a good idea because everyone has a smartphone and he told me the entire story willingly about the remote and everything else, because Sato-san is just that kind of guy - you ask him one thing and he eagerly spills the entire backstory like a true engineer, heck you don't ask him anything and he's eager to talk about the story of the devices, which makes him a fun guy to talk to with a drink (just had one with him a couple of weeks ago at the Just ear user meeting), but I suspect the marketing department doesn't' like him spilling secrets like that. :wink:

Also there's no reason to doubt his story - there's literally nothing electronically and software wise special about that remote - it runs on standard BT and the serial commands are standard such that it works with non-Sony devices. Of course that would be the case because they also envisioned third party wireless devices such as BT headphones with build in controls that would connect to these Walkmans (I've tried BT headphones with the Walkmans, they are fully functional, so I don't see how there is any lock in here and things should be adhering to BT standards, and if you can't get them to work, something else is wrong). Sato-san said the main driving force for that remote in the internal team was that they saw other BT remotes and weren't satisfied and wanted something stylish, light and small that could clip onto a shirt, so they made something they themselves wanted first and navigated around the department budget to get it to happen. I see that there's no competing BT remote being more likely the market is small, like Sato-san said, and that even third parties aren't bothering. Both Fiio and AK took a shot at it but both left the market - with AK going the app model, I'd think the writing is pretty clear on the wall that these kinds of product is a niche that's not particularly profitable.

EDIT: A little bit of research shows that the ZX300 BT profile is build around the standard AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile). If you find third party remotes not pairing, the most likely cause is that your BT remote don't have this profile, rather than Sony actively locking out third party BT remotes.

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX300/spec.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back