Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 30, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #3,091 of 12,862
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #3,092 of 12,862
That's assuming there isn't an additional hardware limitation on the EU limit (which I suspect there is), you can read about my assumption here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-197#post-13863830 and here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-177#post-13845428
I think it is most likely just a software limitation - I would assume to much hassle to make changes to hardware ( same as with the cars with various outputs). The max output most likely into 16 ohms, whereas the HD660's is 150 ohm. Balanced output has no ohm value at all.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #3,093 of 12,862
I like how he establishes that what reviewers already thought: that the sound is indeed like that of WM1-A.
To be honest, there is no point in purchasing the NW-WM1A anymore when you can have an almost (if not) identical sound signature in a smaller/lighter package alongside the USB DAC feature (which it seems Sony does not plan to add to the NW-WM1A as it is not present in the latest 2.00 update) at a lower MSRP by purchasing the NW-ZX300, purchasing the NW-WM1Z would still make sense considering its unique sound signature, but I am not sure it is worth the extra €2500 (compared to the NW-ZX300), not to mention it won't have the USB DAC feature either, it might make more sense to wait 12 to 24 months until the next flagship shows up (which will likely sport the feature).

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,094 of 12,862
To be honest, there is no point in purchasing the NW-WM1A anymore when you can have an almost (if not) identical sound signature in a smaller/lighter package alongside the USB DAC feature (which it seems Sony does not plan to add to the NW-WM1A as it is not present in the latest 2.00 update) at a lower MSRP by purchasing the NW-ZX300, purchasing the NW-WM1Z would still make sense considering its unique sound signature, but I am not sure it is worth the extra €2500 (compared to the NW-ZX300), not to mention it won't have the USB DAC feature either, it might make more sense to wait 12 to 24 months until the next flagship shows up (which will likely sport the feature).

Listening to the ZX-300 and WM1Z, WM1A together was amazing. The weight of the ZX-300 was great as well as the over all ZX-300 feel. The ZX-300 has it’s own special sound. As always though........ in audio it’s paying 90% more for that extra 10% that’s always going to be obtainable. I thought they all sounded different?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,095 of 12,862
I think it is most likely just a software limitation - I would assume to much hassle to make changes to hardware. The max output most likely into 16 ohms, whereas the HD660's is 150 ohm.
According to specifications, the uncapped ZX300 should be able to comfortably drive 300ohm headphones over the balanced output without any hassle whatsoever, in fact 200mW is overkill, going at max volume on high gain would make headphones such as the Sennheiser HD650 painstakingly loud (as in, you will literally damage your eardrums listening at this level), the fact that the software uncapped EU model cannot drive the HD660S without cranking the volume on high gain all the way to 90 would be a decent indication that software cap is only part of the problem.
This would also corroborate the fact that there is no tourist version of the ZX300, most likely because the EU service center does not have the uncapped board available in stock for replacements.

Having the uncapped EU model with an international model side by side would let us know for sure whether the limitation is only a software one or if there is also a change in the hardware itself.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #3,097 of 12,862
According to specifications, the uncapped ZX300 should be able to comfortably drive 300ohm headphones over the balanced output without any hassle whatsoever, in fact 200mW is overkill, going at max volume on high gain would make headphones such as the Sennheiser HD650 painstakingly loud (as in, you will literally damage your eardrums listening at this level), the fact that the software uncapped EU model cannot drive the HD660S without cranking the volume on high gain all the way to 90 would be a decent indication that software cap is only part of the problem.
This would also corroborate the fact that there is no tourist version of the ZX300, most likely because the EU service center does not have the uncapped board available in stock for replacements.

Having the uncapped EU model with an international model side by side would let us know for sure whether the limitation is only a software one or if there is also a change in the hardware itself.
I think you misunderstood. 200mW@ 16 ohms will most likely be only a few mW's into 300 ohms ,considering the current supply power of a portable player

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #3,098 of 12,862
What a great confusion...200mw is at 16 ohms my friend at 300....maybe .....10?????

That's the table for the Sennheiser HD650
dsdbBv8.png

You can calculate the power output by going into this site: http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
P.S. The HD650 is 300ohms with a 103dB SPL/mW sensitivity.

Here is another table: (available here: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/ )

kIe8mgg.png

Here is calculation from a customizable spreadsheet: (available here https://drive.google.com/open?authuser=0&id=191U0Q__6ieKyiKHI-_wTt-8j6wd2A3cpddE0_ieuxgI )

GnspbhN.png

According to that table, you can go as loud as 108.06 db on the HD650 using the uncapped NW-ZX300, personally, I wouldn't, unless you plan on seriously damaging your hearing.
Taking into account that the HD650 is an open back pair of headphones meant to be listened to within a quiet environment, you would have no need to ever crank the volume that high.

P.S. Disregard the "The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones" notification in the the table, for some reason the author seems to have arbitrarily set the value as the following formula: =IF(B14>110, "The amplifier is powerful enough to drive the headphones","The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones") I have no idea why he/she set that value so high, I left it untouched (I mean, who the hell would listen to a pair of headphones at 110dB ?O_o )

(Seriously, I know the table below is redundant but that should give you an idea)

am001Eb.png

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #3,099 of 12,862
People really need to stop conflating "the headphone and DAC/amp pairing doesn't produce a sound I like" with "the DAC/amp doesn't have enough power". :)

With modern DAC/amp outputs and moderately high headphone sensitivity, most pairings indeed has enough power to make headphones go VERY loud. You must shift your focus and description on the quality of that power delivery instead. The phrase "I don't think X has enough power" has become almost a meaningless expression.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,100 of 12,862
For most people, sure. But the WM-1A SE output is more powerful than the ZX300's. For those people who have SE-cans they want to smoothly drive without extra amp-hassle, it('s still a good option. And the built, screen are better too. But overall, I agree: Sony has degraded their WM-1A a little with the announcement of the ZX300.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,101 of 12,862
That's the table for the Sennheiser HD650
dsdbBv8.png

You can calculate the power output by going into this site: http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
P.S. The HD650 is 300ohms with a 103dB SPL/mW sensitivity.

Here is another table: (available here: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/ )

kIe8mgg.png

Here is calculation from a customizable spreadsheet: (available here https://drive.google.com/open?authuser=0&id=191U0Q__6ieKyiKHI-_wTt-8j6wd2A3cpddE0_ieuxgI )

GnspbhN.png

According to that table, you can go as loud as 108.06 db on the HD650 using the uncapped NW-ZX300, personally, I wouldn't, unless you plan on seriously damaging your hearing.
Taking into account that the HD650 is an open back pair of headphones meant to be listened to within a quiet environment, you would have no need to ever crank the volume that high.

P.S. Disregard the "The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones" notification in the the table, for some reason the author seems to have arbitrarily set the value as the following formula: =IF(B14>110, "The amplifier is powerful enough to drive the headphones","The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones") I have no idea why he/she set that value so high, I left it untouched (I mean, who the hell would listen to a pair of headphones at 110dB ?O_o )

(Seriously, I know the table below is redundant but that should give you an idea)

am001Eb.png
the sennheiser is not 103db/1mw sensitive is 103db/1v , thats 2 things completly diferents

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #3,103 of 12,862
To be honest, the only thing I like about the ZX100 is the (incredible) battery life, other than that, it does sport a pretty good sound quality (although it only has a SE output) but its amp is lacking and it will not drive high impedance headphones (which explains why the battery life is so good), other than that, it's still not on par with the ZX300 (which completely destroys it in terms of sound quality while using the balanced output) not to mention its interface is very laggy compared to the ZX300 or even the A40 series.
If you need a very long battery life and you don't use the 4.4mm balanced output, the ZX100 might still be a decent option assuming you can get it at half (or lower) its MSRP, otherwise the ZX300 is the obvious choice.

If you are purely a CIEM user and do not need a balanced output then the ZX100 is still a very good idea given that you can have it for less than $350 used. Otherwise, I'm recommended the ZX300 all the way.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,104 of 12,862
If you are purely a CIEM user and do not need a balanced output then the ZX100 is still a very good idea given that you can have it for less than $350 used. Otherwise, I'm recommended the ZX300 all the way.
Even if said persons whom just use IEM's think they'll keep doing so, I still consider it a good investment to buy a device that accounts for that (likely) possibility that they'll be wanting to try out full-sized cans on this device, and count on the balanced rto deliver the juice.
That was my reasoning behind this purchase and I still stand firm. I've only used the SE now with IEM's, while I use open-back full-sized cans to listen to vinyl records, but this device really compels me to use it at home and on my bed, etc. Full-sized cans purchase is almost a certainty now, I'm just considering my options.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #3,105 of 12,862
Even if said persons whom just use IEM's think they'll keep doing so, I still consider it a good investment to buy a device that accounts for that (likely) possibility that they'll be wanting to try out full-sized cans on this device, and count on the balanced rto deliver the juice.
That was my reasoning behind this purchase and I still stand firm. I've only used the SE now with IEM's, while I use open-back full-sized cans to listen to vinyl records, but this device really compels me to use it at home and on my bed, etc. Full-sized cans purchase is almost a certainty now, I'm just considering my options.

Agreed. However, if you are on the budget...there is no need to rule out the ZX100. My ZX100 can drive my Utopia very very well. So the 15mw per channel can do really well with 70 ohm with good efficiency headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back