Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #3,106 of 12,862
Hello guys,
Excuse me, i’m about to buy new iem to go balanced (yes « back in the game »... i’ve sell some stuff and now i’m waiting for my new « precious »), can you tells me, if you know those models, what’s your choice and your impressions on the « Audio Technica Ath E70 » and the « Shure Se 425 » please ?
Thanks some much for any infos regarding those models.
Forgot to say that i listen a lot of music but more hip-hop, techno and reggae so i suppose that i need some great response with « bass » but i’m novice with iem ^^

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3,107 of 12,862
That's the table for the Sennheiser HD650
dsdbBv8.png

You can calculate the power output by going into this site: http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
P.S. The HD650 is 300ohms with a 103dB SPL/mW sensitivity.

Here is another table: (available here: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/ )

kIe8mgg.png

Here is calculation from a customizable spreadsheet: (available here https://drive.google.com/open?authuser=0&id=191U0Q__6ieKyiKHI-_wTt-8j6wd2A3cpddE0_ieuxgI )

GnspbhN.png

According to that table, you can go as loud as 108.06 db on the HD650 using the uncapped NW-ZX300, personally, I wouldn't, unless you plan on seriously damaging your hearing.
Taking into account that the HD650 is an open back pair of headphones meant to be listened to within a quiet environment, you would have no need to ever crank the volume that high.

P.S. Disregard the "The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones" notification in the the table, for some reason the author seems to have arbitrarily set the value as the following formula: =IF(B14>110, "The amplifier is powerful enough to drive the headphones","The amplifier is not powerful enough to drive the headphones") I have no idea why he/she set that value so high, I left it untouched (I mean, who the hell would listen to a pair of headphones at 110dB ?O_o )

(Seriously, I know the table below is redundant but that should give you an idea)

am001Eb.png

amazing, you can use this for audio engineering thesis !!

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #3,108 of 12,862
To be honest, the only thing I like about the ZX100 is the (incredible) battery life, other than that, it does sport a pretty good sound quality (although it only has a SE output) but its amp is lacking and it will not drive high impedance headphones (which explains why the battery life is so good), other than that, it's still not on par with the ZX300 (which completely destroys it in terms of sound quality while using the balanced output) not to mention its interface is very laggy compared to the ZX300 or even the A40 series.
If you need a very long battery life and you don't use the 4.4mm balanced output, the ZX100 might still be a decent option assuming you can get it at half (or lower) its MSRP, otherwise the ZX300 is the obvious choice.

I don't my nw-zx100 laggy, even with 123gb of flac files, as all my flac files was converted using sony media go (some one mention that the lagginess caused by third party converters which uses higher resolution jpg files embedded for artwork, i have tried very briefly zx300, can notice much difference in smoothness, yes, i noted that there are improvements in sound quality on the nw-zx300, it's noted that a30 was extremely laggy until the firmware update

i also have easy to drive earphones xba-30, xba-40 and akg k551, so far no usage for balanced output.

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,109 of 12,862
My cost so far:

• ZX300 from Amazon UK £473 (maybe a 6 week wait to get)
  • Genuine Sony Leather case from Amazon Japan £59 (maybe a 5 week wait to get) (or just 10% of normal ZX300 UK Amazon price which I think is OK)
  • 2nd hand Sony MUC-A12SB1 XBA 4.4mm balanced Sony Kimber cable with mmcx off the forums £118 (likely arrive within 1 week). For use with my SE846's
  • 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter to try my existing Fiio balanced cable £6 (likely arrive within two week)
  • Sony-WM-PORT-To-Micro-USB-Adapter-WMP-NWM10 £10 (first bit to arrive, today). Hopefully can use this to connect ZX300 to my old Sony Z5 compact for Tidal streaming via UAPP
So £666 (number of the beast!!) which I'm well pleased with seeing as ZX300 alone now back at £600 on Amazon UK. I'm not bothering with a screen protector seeing as I'm having the flip case plus I already have a 128GB microSD I will be using initially.

My only questions now are:

• Has anyone seen confirmation that ZX300 works OK as external DAC to Android & iPhone with correct cables (I could use either to stream Tidal from). Assume no issue direct to a PC but surely must have a software driver to support high bitrate & DSD
  • Would like to try some Wireless headphones via LDAC or AptxHD. The ones I'm seeing as recommendations are Sony X1000M2 or B&W PX and from a sound quality perspective most seem to suggest the B&W PX is better. I don't really need ANC so any better recommendation without ANC to use LDAC or AptxHD and sound nearly as good or better than my Shure SE846's.
  • What remote to use for the ZX300.
I'd assume if ZX300 does work linked to a smartphone then for Tidal streaming I'd need to change track on the phone but volume on the ZX300

Apart from the fact Amazon now put the price back up and list it as unavailable I've been looking at this DAP but still have a couple of things I'm not sure about... :)

Did you (or any other owners) actually try any BT remotes and get it working with the ZX300?

Not used Sony players in a while but can you just put a mSD card in with flac files on and have it scan the card or do you need to load them via a Sony app/special folder structure?

Cheers :beerchug:

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,110 of 12,862
Apart from the fact Amazon now put the price back up and list it as unavailable I've been looking at this DAP but still have a couple of things I'm not sure about... :)

Did you (or any other owners) actually try any BT remotes and get it working with the ZX300?

Not used Sony players in a while but can you just put a mSD card in with flac files on and have it scan the card or do you need to load them via a Sony app/special folder structure?

Cheers :beerchug:

All music must put under the folder named MUSIC

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,111 of 12,862
Hello guys,
Please do you know if somewhere I can find the « ServiceModeInstaller » for the Nw-zx300 please ?
It seems my prob comes from a NAND flash error du to corrupted database when recreating library ^^
I saw it can be fix on the nw-zx2 by downloading and using this soft and I wonder if it’s possible to fix my device with it ??
Thanks a lot in advance for everythings

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,112 of 12,862
Hello guys,
Please do you know if somewhere I can find the « ServiceModeInstaller » for the Nw-zx300 please ?
It seems my prob comes from a NAND flash error du to corrupted database when recreating library ^^
I saw it can be fix on the nw-zx2 by downloading and using this soft and I wonder if it’s possible to fix my device with it ??
Thanks a lot in advance for everythings

I don't know but Rockbox developer pamaury@rockbox.org might, you should try asking him about it.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,114 of 12,862
Hello guys,
Excuse me, i’m about to buy new iem to go balanced (yes « back in the game »... i’ve sell some stuff and now i’m waiting for my new « precious »), can you tells me, if you know those models, what’s your choice and your impressions on the « Audio Technica Ath E70 » and the « Shure Se 425 » please ?
Thanks some much for any infos regarding those models.
Forgot to say that i listen a lot of music but more hip-hop, techno and reggae so i suppose that i need some great response with « bass » but i’m novice with iem ^^
I've read that the Audio Technica ATH-E70 is bass heavy so it might be for you.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #3,116 of 12,862
Not got the player yet, by the time I'd decided it was for me Amazon UK had bumped the price, so will be waiting for the next price drop hopefully in the New Year .

In preparation I'm getting the Sony case and the onso balanced cable from Amazon Japan. I believe the player doesn't have a normal USB connection, so I'd also like to get a spare power cable / adapter to leave in my travel bag, is the right one?

Adapter

Thanks

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,117 of 12,862
Not got the player yet, by the time I'd decided it was for me Amazon UK had bumped the price, so will be waiting for the next price drop hopefully in the New Year .

In preparation I'm getting the Sony case and the onso balanced cable from Amazon Japan. I believe the player doesn't have a normal USB connection, so I'd also like to get a spare power cable / adapter to leave in my travel bag, is the right one?

Adapter

Thanks

Edited for typo

Yes, it is the one for all walkman player.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #3,119 of 12,862

Adapter

Thanks

Edited for typo

I'm waiting for the onso balanced cable too (arriving tuesday). I hope that the 2pin CIEM connectors will fit for my EarSonics EM3-Pro.

I've found a replacement cable (charging and transfer) on AliExpress for less than 2 $ (on its way).
I'll tell you if it's good or bad.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #3,120 of 12,862
I'm waiting for the onso balanced cable too (arriving tuesday). I hope that the 2pin CIEM connectors will fit for my EarSonics EM3-Pro.
I've found a replacement cable (charging and transfer) on AliExpress for less than 2 $ (on its way).
I'll tell you if it's good or bad.
I don't think you'll have an issue with either. I've got the $2 cables at work and a couple of spares at home and they work fine with data transfer and charging. The Onso cable is brilliant, I've had cables from most of the well known brands and while they look nice I find them ungainly for actual portable use. Using the Onso 2pin (0.78mm) cable and its a very snug fit with my CIEMs, the cable is supple and the quality of the connectors on both ends feels superior to most DIY parts that cost as much as this cable. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back