Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 21, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #2,942 of 12,862
After confirmed on PC screen press the power button on ZX300 for about 8 seconds and it reboots. Nothing is lost (well hasn't for me anyway!)
I personally selected the reset all settings option on mine, just in case.

I still wonder if there isn't also a hardware limitation on the NW-ZX300, someone on this forum who changed his CEW2 unit's destination to E was still experiencing some difficulties to drive his HD660S properly on the balance output despite the fact that these are 150ohms while the uncapped NW-ZX300 is 200mW which is more than enough to drive a 300ohms pair of headphones such as the HD650 enough to make your ears bleed. So it is likely the CEW2 version (Western Europe) not only has software limitations but a different motherboard as well (with modifications such as an added resistance or a different power distribution), this might explain why there is no official tourist version for this unit either as European service centers would not have the proper parts/board to service a tourist unit should anything go wrong.

There is also the fact that the power output on the European units have been so drastically reduced (from 200 mW to 1.6-4.2mW on balanced and from 50 mW to 1.6-4.2mW on SE) that it would strongly suggest software alone would not be responsible for such a limitation.

If my assumption is correct, changing the destination will help (especially while using the high gain option), but it will not be comparable to a fully uncapped unit from other markets.

The only way to know for sure would be to either open an uncapped and a capped unit and look at the board or to compare the volume outputs on a converted (former) CEW2 unit to a uncapped (from factory) counterpart.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #2,944 of 12,862
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,945 of 12,862
I still wonder if there isn't also a hardware limitation on the NW-ZX300, someone on this forum who changed his CEW2 unit's destination to E was still experiencing some difficulties to drive his HD660S properly on the balance output despite the fact that these are 150ohms while the uncapped NW-ZX300 is 200mW which is more than enough to drive a 300ohms pair of headphones such as the HD650 enough to make your ears bleed. So it is likely the CEW2 version (Western Europe) not only has software limitations but a different motherboard as well (with modifications such as an added resistance or a different power distribution), this might explain why there is no official tourist version for this unit either as European service centers would not have the proper parts/board to service a tourist unit should anything go wrong.

There is also the fact that the power output on the European units have been so drastically reduced (from 200 mW to 1.6-4.2mW on balanced and from 50 mW to 1.6-4.2mW on SE) that it would strongly suggest software alone would not be responsible for such a limitation.

If my assumption is correct, changing the destination will help (especially while using the high gain option), but it will not be comparable to a fully uncapped unit from other markets.

The only way to know for sure would be to either open an uncapped and a capped unit and look at the board or to compare the volume outputs on a converted (former) CEW2 unit to a uncapped (from factory) counterpart.

I mentioned about the HD660S. With balanced high gain on uncapped EU one I'm comfortable listening at 90-100 out of 120 so you might be right. I don't need to drive higher then 150ohm so will stick with my EU one as Japanese import is currently about £30 more expensive plus would have warranty issues.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #2,948 of 12,862
Shows 2 month for me.

Yep, they've all been gobbled up. If you can wait its best prices I've seen to UK and includes Duty/VAT etc. at £55 delivered. When I ordered mine it was in stock and came in 3 days.

Has to be Amazon, not a reseller. Not all Amazon stuff can be shipped either.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,955 of 12,862
I just bought the device in Media Markt, Germany. I wanted to uncap it, but it says Sound pressure: 0 (off). How can this be?

As Mathieulh said, sound pressure off doesn't mean that your player is uncapped.
I also have a NW-ZX300 ordered on Amazon.co.uk and region was CEW2 with sound pressure off out of the box.

Just changed the destination to E and I feel more power (Thanx to the guys from this thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back