Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,076 of 12,862
I am happy with the ZX100 but I'll be in Japan over the new year - how can you not resist a new purchase in Sony's motherland where you can test and try until your heart's content? I am also very tempted by the improvements of going balanced.
I was wondering what the new design with the headphone jacks at the top of the device is like - I prefer the ZX100 design (jack at the bottom) as it is easy to get in and out of my pocket and access the controls.
Can anyone please share their experience with the top placed jacks, thanks.

The ZX300 has all physical control buttons on the side, so it doesn't really matter whether the jack is at the top or at the bottom unlike the ZX100 where the control is located near the jack.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,078 of 12,862
I am happy with the ZX100 but I'll be in Japan over the new year - how can you not resist a new purchase in Sony's motherland where you can test and try until your heart's content? I am also very tempted by the improvements of going balanced.
I was wondering what the new design with the headphone jacks at the top of the device is like - I prefer the ZX100 design (jack at the bottom) as it is easy to get in and out of my pocket and access the controls.
Can anyone please share their experience with the top placed jacks, thanks.

The only downside that I experience is: when I use the strap that comes with the official case, the headphone cable dangles a bit oddly on top of the device (the strap forces me to hold the device upright). See pic https://imgur.com/a/RqUnP

Other than that, I feel absolutely no downsides compared to having the jacks on the bottom of the device.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3,080 of 12,862
I am still looking for an iem to match with this thing.... any recommendations? I usually listen to pop songs...

So far here are my current options:

Sony n3
Qdc neptune
CA orion
Haven't listened to any of them, but the Sony is known to be good with pop music. However, fit and comfort are almost as important as the sound itself with IEM's. Consider that, when deciding on any one of these.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,083 of 12,862
The only downside that I experience is: when I use the strap that comes with the official case, the headphone cable dangles a bit oddly on top of the device (the strap forces me to hold the device upright). See pic https://imgur.com/a/RqUnP

Other than that, I feel absolutely no downsides compared to having the jacks on the bottom of the device.

I also prefer nw-zx100 for a few reasons, the lanyard eyelet positioning is one of them, with a lanyard ( original sony leather one modified to carry the weight of a nw-zx100), lanyard eyelet positioning is at the bottom with the headphone jack, thus, more convenient than headphone jack on the top

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,084 of 12,862
I am at 500 hour on Balanced and around 100 on SE output. I think the balanced output really mature at or after 400 hour mark. My Recabled SA5000 sounded rather sparkly up high at or around 200 hour but the treble is silkier and smooth out after 400 hour. Totally love the sound and the form factor of the ZX300. Thanks to a good friend in HK, I now have a really nice cases for the ZX300 & 1Z to go along with a glass screen protector. What a generous this person is!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #3,087 of 12,862
Do those who have used the SonyNWDestTool noticed a big difference in output power? Contemplating if it is worth doing.
I am sorry.
Could you please let know what SonyNWDestTool is?
How to get and put it to work?
Thanks

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3,090 of 12,862
I also prefer nw-zx100 for a few reasons, the lanyard eyelet positioning is one of them, with a lanyard ( original sony leather one modified to carry the weight of a nw-zx100), lanyard eyelet positioning is at the bottom with the headphone jack, thus, more convenient than headphone jack on the top
To be honest, the only thing I like about the ZX100 is the (incredible) battery life, other than that, it does sport a pretty good sound quality (although it only has a SE output) but its amp is lacking and it will not drive high impedance headphones (which explains why the battery life is so good), other than that, it's still not on par with the ZX300 (which completely destroys it in terms of sound quality while using the balanced output) not to mention its interface is very laggy compared to the ZX300 or even the A40 series.
If you need a very long battery life and you don't use the 4.4mm balanced output, the ZX100 might still be a decent option assuming you can get it at half (or lower) its MSRP, otherwise the ZX300 is the obvious choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back