Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,016 of 12,862
Agreed! It's rather inconspicuous aside from the gold/copper-toned outputs. The sort of device that you need to look at from a little closer to see its premium built. The silver one is more eye-catching, in the sense that you can tell more immediately that it is an expensive device.
Rather using gold color for the socket, the copper does look good.

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #3,017 of 12,862
I'm pretty unprofessional and will go with the silver when i get it :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,020 of 12,862
Did someone compare the sound with other hi-fi players? Like FiiO X7 II or Astell & Kern devices?

I have ak70 and the stage is slightly bigger- wider on ak70 and the output power is greater on ak70 but I prefer the sound of the ZX300. Bass is more fleshed out and the layering or 3d staging is better on ZX300. I also think at this point of burn in (100) hours the ZX300 has a touch more detail/resolution and or treble extension.

Both sound really nice, I just prefer the ZX300 sound Sig- this is all through the SE output.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,021 of 12,862
I like the way the black colour changes from deep charcoal to deep black, depending on the lighting conditions. And it looks smaller compared to the silver, just an illusion but still.
If I had to choose again, I would pick black every time. Although, if the black would not exist, I would have been much pleased with the silver too! :)

Back in Black! When I first started buying portable electronic audio gear ( radios and cassette players ) well silver was pretty much the only colour available back then- once in a while you would find black or light blue. So later when companies started offering black, blue, and red I fell in love with the black colour, I don't know why I just think it looks clean and makes the screen pop. Hell I even sold my blue green ak70 so I could get the UK obsidian black colour :) Which was not volume limited by the way.

Although the zx300 in silver looks very classy, and I'm sure even better in person.

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,022 of 12,862
Finally got the chance for a quick hands on with this little guy this weekend.

Disclaimers:
  • Will not give detailed sound impressions (not my music + didn't bring my DAP to compare to).
  • used my PP8 IEM
  • No idea of how many hours in use already
Sound was not immediately impressive. Sound stage seemed rather flat (wide-ish, but not deep). Instrument timbre sounded very natural and pleasant though, but since I'm not familiar with the content and didn't have anything to compare to, it's difficult to judge.

Available power seems very limited. It was on high gain and I was already >3/4 of the way up on the volume control. The PP8 is not as sensitive as other IEMs (Andro, 846), but it's still up there. Makes me think the ZX300 will have rather limited use cases.

But... It's a damn sexy piece of equipment. Build quality is, unsurprisingly, awesome. The jack's sturdiness gives a lot of confidence in longevity of the player, unlike my AK70 for which the jacks feel rather flimsy. It feels like a solid brick and I much prefer the volume up down buttons over a volume wheel.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,023 of 12,862
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #3,025 of 12,862
Available power seems very limited. It was on high gain and I was already >3/4 of the way up on the volume control. The PP8 is not as sensitive as other IEMs (Andro, 846), but it's still up there. Makes me think the ZX300 will have rather limited use cases.

Did you try the SE or balance output? Because SE is only 50mW while balance is 200mW. 200mW is plenty of power for most IEMs seeing that even the previous flagship players such as AK380 nor your AK70 puts out that much power.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #3,026 of 12,862
Did you try the SE or balance output? Because SE is only 50mW while balance is 200mW. 200mW is plenty of power for most IEMs seeing that even the previous flagship players such as AK380 nor your AK70 puts out that much power.
SE

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #3,027 of 12,862
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,028 of 12,862
I'm on low gain with Klipsch X10's on SE, and after complete burn-in I only need point 65-70 in volume. SE should suffice for nearly all IEM's, a few high-end exceptions notwithstanding.
Balanced should be able to drive all (semi-)portable full-sized cans with ease. Ofcourse, you ought not connect most Hi-Fi headphones with 4 metre cables to it, that's a given.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #3,029 of 12,862

Just a question: did you test the volume-limited version or the uncapped version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back