Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #2,926 of 12,862
I didn't changed the region because I didn't have too (CEW2 but sound pressure was already OFF when I checked with SonyNWDestTool)
And AVLS is unticked in the settings (AVLS won't let you go for more than 75).

The weird thing is that happens randomly (twice within 70 hours of runtime, not a big deal).

In that case, I would strongly recommend changing to code E as to my ears it not only removes the volume cap but also sounded better, plus also unlocks Gain mode and Bluetooth remote control.

What your getting sounds similar to Sony EU phones. You can disable the volume limiter but still get the nag screen after so many hours or after you have restarted the device.

Disabling the software limiter with the setting option is not the same as uncapping by changing region. Volume is still lower compared to fully uncapped. My ZX300 was initially CEW2 and showed sound pressure off but still volume is much lower than it is when changing to an uncapped region such as E.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,928 of 12,862
How is ZX300 for classical music?

Is someone using an amp like FiiO A5?
I think it's especially great for classical music. The soundstage is perhaps suited best for piano concertos. regardless, it's great for any genre: though very 'dense' types of music (think post-metal genres) benefit a lot from an adequate burn-in (soundstage widens up more and bass relaxes, so it is not overwhelming). I'm on 130 hours burn-in.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,929 of 12,862
I just asked the following of support again since we have the new firmware:

Bought the NW-ZX300 partly as it supports MQA as per marketing info "MQA™ support for lossless streaming"

Now it plays MQA files on the internal memory or SD card perfectly but if I connect in DAC mode to Tidal via PC software and enable MQA in Tidal the music plays but the ZX300 DAC still shows PCM 44.1khz or PCM 48kHz. Shouldn't it show MQA? If playing a DSD in DAC mode it shows DSD 2.8 for example. How can I tell it is playing the MQA stream correctly from Tidal?

Have just updated to the latest firmware and still don't think it passes MQA. The marketing wording does say "MQA™ support for lossless streaming" which I read as not just playing back files on the phone itself.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #2,930 of 12,862
I didn't changed the region because I didn't have too (CEW2 but sound pressure was already OFF when I checked with SonyNWDestTool)
And AVLS is unticked in the settings (AVLS won't let you go for more than 75).

The weird thing is that happens randomly (twice within 70 hours of runtime, not a big deal).
You have to change the region/destination as the volume cap is tied to it, the sound pressure parameter isn't used anymore in current walkman so changing it most likely has no effect whatsoever.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,931 of 12,862
You have to change the region/destination as the volume cap is tied to it, the sound pressure parameter isn't used anymore in current walkman so changing it most likely has no effect whatsoever.

Do I have to set the destination CEW2 off and then the E on or only E on :

scsitool-nwz-v16.exe H: dest_tool set CEW2 off
scsitool-nwz-v16.exe H: dest_tool set E on

or

And for further FW upgrade, can I continue to use FW from sony.co.uk ?

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #2,932 of 12,862

or

Set it as E off firmware updates are universal, they are identical regardless of the sony website you get it from and work on all destinations.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #2,933 of 12,862

or

I just updated to latest after changing region to E no problem

Just us:

scsitool-nwz-v16.exe H: dest_tool set E​
(if H is your Walkman and tool version is 16). Don't think ZX300 makes use of sound pressure tag​

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,935 of 12,862
not set E off (or on) ? Juste set E ?

Just

scsitool-nwz-v16.exe H: dest_tool set E

The on/off bit is to do with sound pressure which I don't think is used with ZX300 as Region defines options.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #2,938 of 12,862
Just

scsitool-nwz-v16.exe H: dest_tool set E

The on/off bit is to do with sound pressure which I don't think is used with ZX300 as Region defines options.

Thank you for the info.
By the way, I'll must reset the settings after the change to get the modification applied.
How can I do that ? I don't find any
Leave word if you notice the change! :smile_phones:

Will do :wink:

By the way, the sps setting is mandatory :

C:\Users\NHN7503\Downloads>scsitool-nwz-v16.exe E: dest_tool set E
Usage: get
Usage: set <dest> <sps>
Destination (<dest>) can be either an integer or one of:
J
U
U2
U3
CA
CEV
CE7
CEW
CEW2
CN
KR
E
MX
E2
MX3
TW
Sound pressure (<sps>) can be be an integer, 'on' or 'off'

C:\Users\NHN7503\Downloads>scsitool-nwz-v16.exe E: dest_tool get
Model: NW-ZX300
Series: NW-ZX300 Series
Destination: CEW2 (103)
Sound pressure: 0 (off)

C:\Users\NHN7503\Downloads>scsitool-nwz-v16.exe E: dest_tool set E off
Model: NW-ZX300
Series: NW-ZX300 Series
Destination successfully changed.
Please RESET ALL SETTINGS on your device!

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,939 of 12,862
Need a shorter 4.4mm cable for my HD660S and had good experience using www.lunashops.com to UK

Any cable experts. Is the more expensive one worth it (looks nicer!)

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5830 ($64)

17-4_4-hd580-1.jpg

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5576 ($50)

17-580-female-4_4-1.jpg

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,940 of 12,862
Thank you for the info.
By the way, I'll must reset the settings after the change to get the modification applied.
How can I do that ? I don't find any

Please RESET ALL SETTINGS on your device!

After confirmed on PC screen press the power button on ZX300 for about 8 seconds and it reboots. Nothing is lost (well hasn't for me anyway!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back