Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,896 of 12,862
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #2,897 of 12,862
But I think the built quality doesn't come close to the ZX2, only the WM1 series has the same built quality to the ZX2, with that being said, the built quality is still good.

I actually prefer the build of the ZX300 as still premium materials (I prefer natural Aluminium colour rather than Black Anodised too) but gains a non-glossy screen coupled with size/weight benefits. If it cold only have built-in Tidal streaming like the AK70 and two microSD slots plus inline control support like the Fiio X5III it would be perfect.

I do like the leather look on the ZX2 but the smooth slight textured rubber on the ZX300 is more in keeping with the ZX300 smooth/clean lines and looks more modern. Black anodised coatings look great when new but once you start to loose the colour from scuffing on the edges you'd wish you had the solid silver colour of the base aluminium.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,898 of 12,862
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,899 of 12,862
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy the Lune Series MKIV Premium balanced cable from Null-Audio ( https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ies-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones ) but I don't know if I'll take it full-clear/non-sleeved or half-nylon/half-clear because I don't know which one is the best.

Have any idea ?
I'm loving the Sony Kimber with my SE846's. I'm finding it a beautiful cable with great mmcx connectors, low profile 4.4mm plug with Sony marking plus cable is really flexible/durable and comfy around the ears with no microphonics. Looks fantastic too. Volume with no Gain only needs to be around 50-70 dependant on music.

The stock balanced cable with my HD660S headphones doesn't look the audiophile part, but apart from being too long at 3M is also great from SQ perspective. Need ZX300 on High Gain at 90-110 volume dependant on music but does drive then nicely balanced (SE bit too week and only just usable needing 120max on smooth classical stuff).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,902 of 12,862
No, I didn't enable this setting.
By the way, 24.5h reached and not yet a single warning on battery low level.

Sony didn't lied about battery life.

So 4x longer than a Mojo ! (based on my experience) Or 2.5x longer the my old Fiio X5III. (they could drive more demanding headphones though). I'd say 150 ohm is the limit for the ZX300 if its just down to impedance.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,904 of 12,862
Keep in mind that I enabling EQ, DSEE HX and go to 100 on volume will have great effect on battery life.

Never use EQ myself. My main use will be with my SE846's and likely volume under 60/120 No Gain most of the time too.

The update didn't enable MQA pass-through in DAC mode from Tidal PC. I do hope they enable this with future firmware rather than just having MQA playback of tracks on the player itself. Still sounds excellent anyway as DAC to Tidal.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,907 of 12,862
I really can't see any better than the Sony official case and only £55 delivered from Amazon Japan to UK.
Right? The official case is miles above other 'official' cases for electronics. I've not once felt the slight irritation like I do with other devices: to tear it off :)
And you can still see enough of the bare device, to admire it.
Also, I feel it is a nice look to wear the device in case in one hand with the strap over your wrist.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,910 of 12,862
How did the X5 III compared to the ZX300 on soundqaulity?

It's actually very good SE but balanced is no better unlike with the ZX300. More background hiss with X5III.

Personally I prefer sound sig. of the ZX300.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back