Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #12,422 of 12,862
lol I would trade you ☺️
I would have to agree! I personally think the silver one looks far more classy :)
I remember getting frustrated every time I saw a ZX300 for sale in the Head-Fi classifieds, only to click on the ad and find out it was the black model :joy:

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #12,423 of 12,862
Walkman One, integrating 4 sound signatures in one package (without needing to use StockRevert), is now available :)

It includes previous sound signatures, like Midnight or Dawn (as "Warm" and "Bright"), as well as "Neutral" (a combination between Midnight/Dawn) and the "WM1Z" stock sound.

For each one of these sound signatures you can choose between the Normal mode, the Plus v1 mode, or the Plus v2 mode, and all this runs on the WM1A/Z firmware, which improves the overall sound quality.

Make sure to read info that is available in the downloaded firmware archive, as well as on the website, in the FAQ section.
Oh good Lord :D

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #12,424 of 12,862
Walkman One, integrating 4 sound signatures in one package (without needing to use StockRevert), is now available :)

It includes previous sound signatures, like Midnight or Dawn (as "Warm" and "Bright"), as well as "Neutral" (a combination between Midnight/Dawn) and the "WM1Z" stock sound.

For each one of these sound signatures you can choose between the Normal mode, the Plus v1 mode, or the Plus v2 mode, and all this runs on the WM1A/Z firmware, which improves the overall sound quality.

Make sure to read info that is available in the downloaded firmware archive, as well as on the website, in the FAQ section.
Hi, @MrWalkman just a feedback here for the ZX300 Walkman One firmware. The external tuning folder contains tunings for Bright, Neutral/Warm, and WM1Z only. So, a total of three external tuning files instead of four as mentioned. I tried installing the Neutral/Warm one. The installer ran smoothly on my PC but after checking the device's Unit Information on the Settings menu, the line "External tuning not applied!" was there. I did a stock revert using the Walkman One version, repeated the process but still with the same result. I did another stock revert, then installed Walkman One, then tried the Bright external tuning. It won't proceed and says I need to connect the device through USB even if the device is already in mass storage mode.

These are just my observations on the latest CFW for the ZX300 which is the Walkman One. I still haven't figured out how to properly install it.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #12,425 of 12,862
Hi, @MrWalkman just a feedback here for the ZX300 Walkman One firmware. The external tuning folder contains tunings for Bright, Neutral/Warm, and WM1Z only. So, a total of three external tuning files instead of four as mentioned. I tried installing the Neutral/Warm one. The installer ran smoothly on my PC but after checking the device's Unit Information on the Settings menu, the line "External tuning not applied!" was there. I did a stock revert using the Walkman One version, repeated the process but still with the same result. I did another stock revert, then installed Walkman One, then tried the Bright external tuning. It won't proceed and says I need to connect the device through USB even if the device is already in mass storage mode.

These are just my observations on the latest CFW for the ZX300 which is the Walkman One. I still haven't figured out how to properly install it.

You need to first change sound signature in settings file, then restart the player, then apply the corresponding external tuning. You can't just install what tuning you want.

This is mentioned in the "How_to_change_sound_signature.txt" file that you can find in the downloaded firmware archive

Neutral and Warm are using the same tuning, that's why there's 3 of them.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #12,426 of 12,862
You need to first change sound signature in settings file, then restart the player, then apply the corresponding external tuning. You can't just install what tuning you want.

This is mentioned in the "How_to_change_sound_signature.txt" file that you can find in the downloaded firmware archive

Neutral and Warm are using the same tuning, that's why there's 3 of them.
Got it. This will be my first time tinkering with the settings file. Apologies if I wasn't able to pick up that part of the instructions. I'll try it again and leave my feedback. Thanks, @MrWalkman!

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #12,427 of 12,862
Got it. This will be my first time tinkering with the settings file. Apologies if I wasn't able to pick up that part of the instructions. I'll try it again and leave my feedback. Thanks, @MrWalkman!

I got it working, finally. What I did:
- stock revert coming from Midnightv2
- install Walkman One
- change settings file from CFW folder inside device
- install ext tuning for Dawn (bright)
- confirm from Unit Information on device settings
- ext tuning Dawn (bright) finally working

I love what I'm hearing. The tuning complements well the sound signature of my Penon Globe, adding more sparkle and extension up top while not boosting the already warm low end. This is the perfect tuning option among the four available Walkman One configurations, at least for my setup.

Huge respect once again to you @MrWalkman for making this available for the ZX300. THANK YOU!

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #12,429 of 12,862
@MrWalkman, I have a very low sound level on Walkman One, even with the higher gain on at zx300.

It's still running a firmware intended for a different device so this can happen. In any case, I don't believe that the sound level should be a lot lower than with the stock firmware. There is a similar thing happening with this firmware running on the smaller A30/40/50 players, and I find the volume level difference to be small - it's absolutely usable.

You could also give a try to the "Higher" gain setting from the settings file.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #12,430 of 12,862
На нем все еще установлена прошивка, предназначенная для другого устройства, так что это может случиться. В любом случае я не верю, что уровень звука должен быть намного ниже, чем на стоковой прошивке. То же самое происходит с этой прошивкой, работающей на меньших плеерах A30 / 40/50, и я считаю, что разница в уровне громкости небольшая - она абсолютно пригодна для использования.

Вы также можете попробовать установить «Более высокое» усиление из файла настроек.

На данный момент эта прошивка поставляется как есть с точки зрения качества звука и громкости, поэтому, к сожалению, с этим ничего не поделать.
The sound level is 20-25 points lower than Midnight

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #12,431 of 12,862
It's still running a firmware intended for a different device so this can happen. In any case, I don't believe that the sound level should be a lot lower than with the stock firmware. There is a similar thing happening with this firmware running on the smaller A30/40/50 players, and I find the volume level difference to be small - it's absolutely usable.

You could also give a try to the "Higher" gain setting from the settings file.

At this moment, this firmware comes as is in terms of sound quality and volume, so unfortunately there'll be nothing to be done about it.

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #12,432 of 12,862

Ok, I will take a look at it and will PM you in the following days.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #12,433 of 12,862
I haven't experienced the low volume level thing after my installation of the Dawn external tuning. It is not any different from the other previous firmwares I've tried in the volume level aspect.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #12,435 of 12,862
I own a nw-zx300 and wondering if using this MDR-Z7M2 a bit of overkill on balanced 4.4mm? i heard that japanese sony website articles stating that nw-zx300 and MDR-1AM2 are perfect partners, but i also seen MDR-Z7 used with amp and sony NW-ZX2 a few years earlier on sony adverts and that a lot of Head fi people claim that NW-ZX300 is on par or even better than NW-ZX2 due to it's native support of MQA and DSD files and more importantly balanced output, also the build quality on MDR-1AM2 is so so, op par with WH-1000XM3 which i own, maybe MDR-Z7M2 should be perfect end game headphones for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back