Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #11,551 of 12,862
Do you think the sound characteristics of the new tunings and firmware would be passed along to the external DAC? I imagine they would, no?

I'm not really sure. Theoretically, the adapter should only work as a way to play your files to another DAC.

Why the sound characteristics would be passed to the DAC, but the player won't allow sound effects to be used?

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #11,552 of 12,862
I'm not really sure. Theoretically, the adapter should only work as a way to play your files to another DAC.

Why the sound characteristics would be passed to the DAC, but the player won't allow sound effects to be used?

Maybe because the sound effects take place after the digital->analog conversion within the player, where as the tunings are applied one-time by the installer?

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #11,553 of 12,862
Maybe because the sound effects take place after the digital->analog conversion within the player, where as the tunings are applied one-time by the installer?

I think it should be simply because the player just decodes the audio into a PCM stream for example, and then it just sends it to the adapter.

DSP shouldn't take effect after the conversion to analog.

This is just speculation.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #11,554 of 12,862
I think it should be simply because the player just decodes the audio into a PCM stream for example, and then it just sends it to the adapter.

DSP shouldn't take effect after the conversion to analog.

This is just speculation.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm itching to try the new Schiit Modius DAC with the ZX-300 as a source. ($200 balanced DAC running AKM4493 chip) But I didn't want to give up the ability to run various tunings while it's connected.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #11,558 of 12,862
Something like this?
https://www.xduoo.net/product/sony-wmport-to-type-c-audio-cable/

X-C13.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #11,559 of 12,862
Hi guys,

I just picked up a ZX300 from a fellow head-fier, and I have two questions: is it necessary to have cover art files in the album folder or will the ZX300 read the embedded cover art in the tag info? Also, has anyone tried this new modded firmware from @MrWalkman, and if so, any comments on like/dislike?

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #11,560 of 12,862
It will read the cover (integrated into the file or in the folder) only if it's baseline JPEG (not progressive - you can save a JPEG as baseline via Paint for example - https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/progressive-or-baseline-jpeg.php) or if it's PNG non-interlaced.

To read the one in the folder I think it needs to have the same name as the folder.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #11,561 of 12,862
It will read the cover (integrated into the file or in the folder) only if it's baseline JPEG (not progressive - you can save a JPEG as baseline via Paint for example - https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/progressive-or-baseline-jpeg.php) or if it's PNG non-interlaced.

To read the one in the folder I think it needs to have the same name as the folder.

OK, thank you. We’ll see when I get my unit. Hopefully, whatever HDtracks and Pono used is the compatible version ... I have way too many music files to go in and create album folder files.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #11,562 of 12,862
One last question, any problem with 512GB cards? I would imagine not since exfat was around in 2017 when the ZX300 was released. But it’s a Sony, and sometimes they like to do things in their own way.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #11,563 of 12,862
One last question, any problem with 512GB cards? I would imagine not since exfat was around in 2017 when the ZX300 was released. But it’s a Sony, and sometimes they like to do things in their own way.
No problem. I am using a Lexar 512GB card. The ZX300 should also take a 1TB, as the WM1A/Z work fine with 1TB. You can check with users if you decide on a 1TB card.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #11,564 of 12,862
Hi guys,

I just picked up a ZX300 from a fellow head-fier, and I have two questions: is it necessary to have cover art files in the album folder or will the ZX300 read the embedded cover art in the tag info? Also, has anyone tried this new modded firmware from @MrWalkman, and if so, any comments on like/dislike?

Thank you.

I have found the ZX300(A)+ firmware to be excellent. I have also spent a lot of time pairing Mr Walkman's firmware with other tunings and regions. A few of the combinations really take the ZX300 to the next level, IMO.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #11,565 of 12,862
I have found the ZX300(A)+ firmware to be excellent. I have also spent a lot of time pairing Mr Walkman's firmware with other tunings and regions. A few of the combinations really take the ZX300 to the next level, IMO.

Would you mind sharing which combinations did you feel were the best, and in what way? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back