Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #11,537 of 12,862
Do you have

Are you using any of these?

Untitled.jpg

I know that line out is supposedly hardware removed from the latest Walkmans, but I've found it in the firmware, and I'm curious if I can get it to work, so I ordered a similar cable. Thanks for sharing the screenshot!

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #11,538 of 12,862
Here is a pic of the second one in its package. I bought it off Amazon and it had to come from Japan. 20190611_115830_HDR.jpg

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #11,540 of 12,862
FYI, the WMP-NWM10 MicroUSB to Walkman port will allow the player to work as a USB DAC.

However the price in the US for it is now ridiculous on Amazon and eBay. I bought two back in 2018 and paid $13.28 and $15 on Amazon. The same seller is now selling it for $136.07 :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #11,541 of 12,862
FYI, the WMP-NWM10 MicroUSB to Walkman port will allow the player to work as a USB DAC.

However the price in the US for it is now ridiculous on Amazon and eBay. I bought two back in 2018 and paid $13.28 and $15 on Amazon. The same seller is now selling it for $136.07 :frowning2:

I think it only lets your player be a source. The audio should be passed as is, with no effects added or anything lile that. I'm pretty sure you can't even enable things like DSEE HX, or EQ, for example. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I managed to find one on Amazon, for about $40, from Japan.

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #11,542 of 12,862
I think it only lets your player be a source. The audio should be passed as is, with no effects added or anything lile that. I'm pretty sure you can't even enable things like DSEE HX, or EQ, for example. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I never used any of my Sonys as a DAC, but I wanted to see if that adapter worked based on a question posted here previously.

So as soon as I turned on USB DAC mode using that adapter it showed up in macOS as an output device.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #11,543 of 12,862
I never used any of my Sonys as a DAC, but I wanted to see if that adapter worked based on a question posted here previously.

So as soon as I turned on USB DAC mode using that adapter it showed up in macOS as an output device.

It shouldn't work like that. If you plug in a DAC in the adapter's USB port, and then plug the adapter in the player, the player then switches to an "USB AUDIO" mode, and no effects are working.

screenshot_20200809_211134844.png

You shouldn't be able to use USB DAC mode with the adapter, and it surely shouldn't show up as an output device, when the player should be the output device with this adapter.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #11,545 of 12,862
I was doing this on a WM1A and also on the ZX300 and it shows as a drive in macOS in USB Mass Storage Mode or as an output device when that is turned off and USB DAC is turned on. The same as using the cable that came with the player.

To use the player for USB data out, you need to use the WMC-NWH10 adapter. Interesting is that using that adapter and a USB A to USB C cable the WM1A and ZX300 is not seen by macOS. I guess it really is only used to connect it a DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #11,546 of 12,862
I was doing this on a WM1A and it shows as a drive in macOS in USB Mass Storage Mode or as an output device when that is turned off.

To use the player for USB data out, you need to use the WMC-NWH10 adapter. Interesting is that using that adapter and a USB A to USB C cable the WM1A is not seen by macOS.

Yeah, the cable is not like an USB OTG adapter. The adapter has a chip of its own. The player communicates with that chip, and then that chip creates the host interface necessary for other DACs you connect to work.

The WM Port pinout has an OTG pin, but I think there's nothing software to handle that part on the Walkman OS.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #11,547 of 12,862
I found it like you showed on Japan Amazon but unfortunately it says cannot ship to my country.

I bought it off of Amazon.com. Amazon.ca couldn't get it. It took a few weeks to get it. Works like a charm in my system though.

Good luck.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #11,548 of 12,862

You are correct. It is just a source to feed my DAC. You cannot use most settings except for play, pause and stop. And of course on and off. I have been using it to feed my DAC which in turn feeds several amps.

Sony Canada told me this cable didn't even exist, but luckily a head-Fier gave me some guidance.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11,549 of 12,862
Sony Canada told me this cable didn't even exist

It's so annoying when some people do this. They have no clue, but they are claiming for sure that something doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #11,550 of 12,862
Yeah, the cable is not like an USB OTG adapter. The adapter has a chip of its own. The player communicates with that chip, and then that chip creates the host interface necessary for other DACs you connect to work.

The WM Port pinout has an OTG pin, but I think there's nothing software to handle that part on the Walkman OS.

Do you think the sound characteristics of the new tunings and firmware would be passed along to the external DAC? I imagine they would, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back