Sony NW-ZX300
May 17, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #9,871 of 12,862
JoyBuy has the 300a for $350. Why pay so much more for internal memory

It's been over 380usd for a while also not always in stock, shipping can take over a month as well and some folks have to pay added taxes when it reaches their country
But I agree with you paying extra for the internal memory is not worth it IMO
$380USD = $550AUD. Like you said, there's then 10% GST which brings the price up to around ~$600. We both purchased the ZX300 64GB model for $610AUD, with free express delivery and Australian warranty. The JoyBuy price isn't always the best for everyone.

May 18, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #9,872 of 12,862
I create the playlist using VLC and then edit the path in the saved playlist using a text editor to match what the file path that exists on the player,

Do you have to edit the path for each individual track, ie., on a 500 song playlist you'll have to edit 500 file paths? Or is there an easier way?

May 18, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #9,873 of 12,862
Can ZX300 brings all the sound of Z7M2????

Far from it. Yes, I have the ZX300 and the Z7M2 along as other DAPs and desktop amplifiers. It does a good job but the Z7M2 can do considerably better out of more powerful amplification. One of the best match for the Z7M2 is the PHA-3.

May 18, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #9,874 of 12,862
Far from it. Yes, I have the ZX300 and the Z7M2 along as other DAPs and desktop amplifiers. It does a good job but the Z7M2 can do considerably better out of more powerful amplification. One of the best match for the Z7M2 is the PHA-3.
BTW guys, I just tested Z7M2 alongside Z1R on both WM1A and WM1Z at one local Sony store earlier today.. Z7M2 is still way, way behind Z1R in terms of clarity & soundstage.. Especially on WM1Z.. :frowning2:

May 18, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #9,875 of 12,862
BTW guys, I just tested Z7M2 alongside Z1R on both WM1A and WM1Z at one local Sony store earlier today.. Z7M2 is still way, way behind Z1R in terms of clarity & soundstage.. Especially on WM1Z.. :frowning2:

Yes, that's correct but they are more balanced from top to bottom than the Z1R for me. In some cases, less is more for me.

May 18, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #9,876 of 12,862
Asked this question one year ago and no replies so here I go again!

Has anyone tried, or know if this player wil plug and play as a Dac with a Playstation 4 system? Currently using it with a cheap dac and still looking at buying this thing.

I know it works as a Dac with windows, not sure if it works wit the ps4 system..? Would be much apreciated if anyone could answer this! Thnx!

May 18, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #9,877 of 12,862
Do you have to edit the path for each individual track, ie., on a 500 song playlist you'll have to edit 500 file paths? Or is there an easier way?
Yes but it's easy using BBEdit using its Replace All function or for the more technically astute use sed in Terminal.

I keep the basic path of my music the same on my Mac as on the players. So I keep my music organized using the following folder structure:

/A
/Aerosmith
/Toys In the Attic
/Pump
/Alice in Chains
/Facelift
/Dirt
/Allman Brothers Band
/At Fillmore East

So a song would look like this after creation in VLC:

/Volumes/Music/A/Alice in Chains/1990 - Facelift/01 We Die Young.flac

I would replace "/Volumes/Music" with /MUSIC

to look like:

/MUSIC/A/Alice in Chains/1990 - Facelift/01 We Die Young.flac

Which is what the path the Sony needs.

I've done this on the 197 playlists.

May 18, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #9,878 of 12,862

Has anyone tried, or know if this player wil plug and play as a Dac with a Playstation 4 system? Currently using it with a cheap dac and still looking at buying this thing.

I know it works as a Dac with windows, not sure if it works wit the ps4 system..? Would be much apreciated if anyone could answer this! Thnx!
I'm not sure if it will work, but I wouldn't recommend it either way because there's a 0.5 second audio delay, making it only usable for music. Movies and games won't be as pleasant to use.

May 18, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #9,879 of 12,862
Yes but it's easy using BBEdit using its Replace All function or for the more technically astute use sed in Terminal.

I keep the basic path of my music the same on my Mac as on the players. So I keep my music organized using the following folder structure:

/A
/Aerosmith
/Toys In the Attic
/Pump
/Alice in Chains
/Facelift
/Dirt
/Allman Brothers Band
/At Fillmore East

So a song would look like this after creation in VLC:

/Volumes/Music/A/Alice in Chains/1990 - Facelift/01 We Die Young.flac

I would replace "/Volumes/Music" with /MUSIC

to look like:

/MUSIC/A/Alice in Chains/1990 - Facelift/01 We Die Young.flac

Which is what the path the Sony needs.

I've done this on the 197 playlists.

What sort of file do you "save as" in VLC? When I save as m3U and open the text editor it looks like this:

"#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:302,2Pac - Temptations
#EXTVLCOPT:recursive=collapse
/Albums%20/2Pac%20-%20Greatest%20Hits%20CD%201/03.%20Temptations.flac"

And even after I edit the file path it when I copy it to the ZX300 it loads as a playlist with zero entries.

May 18, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #9,880 of 12,862

If you want i can check in a couple hours when I get home, but yeah, Its likely to be pretty laggy

May 18, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #9,881 of 12,862
What sort of file do you "save as" in VLC? When I save as m3U and open the text editor it looks like this:

"#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:302,2Pac - Temptations
#EXTVLCOPT:recursive=collapse
/Albums%20/2Pac%20-%20Greatest%20Hits%20CD%201/03.%20Temptations.flac"

And even after I edit the file path it when I copy it to the ZX300 it loads as a playlist with zero entries.
That's the one thing that VLC does that seems to come and go, inserting the hex characters for non-alphabetical characters. You also need to change every %20 to a space.

So it would need to look like this for the Sony:

/MUSIC/Albums /2Pac - Greatest Hits CD 1/03. Temptations.flac

May 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #9,882 of 12,862
Isn't it possible to plug in your ZX300 and have it show as an external drive in VLC, then create your playlists so it is using the actual file/folder structure - I'm sure I tried this using Foobar and got it to work

May 18, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #9,883 of 12,862
Isn't it possible to plug in your ZX300 and have it show as an external drive in VLC, then create your playlists so it is using the actual file/folder structure - I'm sure I tried this using Foobar and got it to work
Yes it would, be but you will still need to edit out everything in the path before /MUSIC/ and change the hex characters for non-alphabetical characters to printable characters.

May 18, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,884 of 12,862
Yes it would, be but you will still need to edit out everything in the path before /MUSIC/ and change the hex characters for non-alphabetical characters to printable characters.
I see, so the only straightforward playlist creator on mac/PC would be using the Sony software? I have never used it as I prefer using my own programs for tagging etc and drag and drop suits me.

May 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #9,885 of 12,862
I can't say for Windows as I don't use it and Sony doesn't have anything for playlist creation on the Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back