Sony NW-ZX300
May 21, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #9,901 of 12,862
It buries pretty much every single DAP and desktop AMP/DAC combo I have ever listened to, including the likes such as the Chord Dave, it's that good, the only better options I have tested were Stax tube Energizer/AMP combos paired with Stax Earspeakers (even entry level such as the SR-L300) and the Sennheiser HE-1. Anything else doesn't compete.
I came to the same conclusion. When I was listening to it with my RHA CL2, I seriously felt like I was on LSD or something, blows away every DAP, amp combo, desktop or otherwise I have ever heard.
Sound was so real, felt like I could almost touch it.

May 21, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #9,902 of 12,862
When you cut on your ZX300, does it scan your mini SD card to see if there is new music when it says that it is "building a database"? Is there a separate scan function in settings somewhere?

May 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #9,903 of 12,862
When you cut on your ZX300, does it scan your mini SD card to see if there is new music when it says that it is "building a database"? Is there a separate scan function in settings somewhere?
Not sure what exactly you're asking, but yeah "Building a database" is the DAP scanning the card for new files. If you'd like to do this manually, in the Reset/Format section in Device Settings, there's an option to rebuild the database aka re-scan the SD card.

May 21, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #9,905 of 12,862
May 21, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #9,907 of 12,862
May 21, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #9,908 of 12,862
I've read some where, it shouldn't be a problem.
Officially max 256GB - that's what Sony salesperson informed me last weekend.. Bigger memories might work but no guarantee..

May 21, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #9,909 of 12,862
I've read the best battery care recommendations for lithium batteries and I know its not good to run them right down, but I was wondering with the battery care on is it having the same negative effect if the battery totally drains?
Yes, it is not desirable to run the battery down, whether "battery saving" is on or off. Battery saving merely limits the full charge, so that the battery is only charged to 80% of full charge (or 90%, whatever the limit is). The general guideline for lithium batteries is to not fully charge, or discharge. These are only guidelines for long term usage, as they will not turn into a pumpkin if you break the guideline. Also, they have a finite life, and there will be manufacturing defects. They will degrade and die even if you follow all the guidelines, or do not even use the battery. So there is not much use in over worrying, or thinking that you can keep it running forever.

It is just a good habit to follow best practices to lessen the stress on the battery, and to try to lengthen the battery life. The things to try to avoid are situations that cause high current/heat. A deeply discharged battery charges at high current, which generates more heat. Bad heat dissipation, like having it in a thick case, sitting on an insulated surface (like paper, books) allows the heat to build up. Taking it out of a case is not practical, but it is easy to put the device flat on a metal, or other hard surface that will dissipate the heat better. Or at least not put it on an insulating surface, like magazines, books, foam, etc. Propping it up on edge (leaning against something) while charging so that the heat dissipates into the air better is another way. There are many simple things that can be done.

Having a small fan blowing on it would help. Personally, I do not do that, but I do put a cooling fan on my Router, in the belief that cooling is always better for any device.

It is like the recommendation for people to not smoke, eat healthy (hard to determine what this means) , and get regular exercise. Some people smoke all their life, and are OK. Some people never smoke, and run into problems. But following the best practices, is still something to try for.

May 22, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #9,910 of 12,862
Yes, it is not desirable to run the battery down, whether "battery saving" is on or off. Battery saving merely limits the full charge, so that the battery is only charged to 80% of full charge (or 90%, whatever the limit is). The general guideline for lithium batteries is to not fully charge, or discharge. These are only guidelines for long term usage, as they will not turn into a pumpkin if you break the guideline. Also, they have a finite life, and there will be manufacturing defects. They will degrade and die even if you follow all the guidelines, or do not even use the battery. So there is not much use in over worrying, or thinking that you can keep it running forever.

It is just a good habit to follow best practices to lessen the stress on the battery, and to try to lengthen the battery life. The things to try to avoid are situations that cause high current/heat. A deeply discharged battery charges at high current, which generates more heat. Bad heat dissipation, like having it in a thick case, sitting on an insulated surface (like paper, books) allows the heat to build up. Taking it out of a case is not practical, but it is easy to put the device flat on a metal, or other hard surface that will dissipate the heat better. Or at least not put it on an insulating surface, like magazines, books, foam, etc. Propping it up on edge (leaning against something) while charging so that the heat dissipates into the air better is another way. There are many simple things that can be done.

Having a small fan blowing on it would help. Personally, I do not do that, but I do put a cooling fan on my Router, in the belief that cooling is always better for any device.

It is like the recommendation for people to not smoke, eat healthy (hard to determine what this means) , and get regular exercise. Some people smoke all their life, and are OK. Some people never smoke, and run into problems. But following the best practices, is still something to try for.
Thank you - nicely put.
I let it run down the other day to see how much battery time I had left from 1 bar, to flashing, to empty as there is inconsistencies between the bars.
I just upgraded to a new phone, my old Samsung S7 is 3 years old and that battery has been fast charged, left charging over night, topped up etc everyday and it still performs very well for its age so I don't worry too much.

May 22, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #9,912 of 12,862
May 22, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #9,914 of 12,862
Hi folks,

I'm new here and just got a ZX300. Only been trying it for half an hour with my ATH-M50x (some will probably cringe now) and I'm insanely impressed. Never had a player that sounded this good.
So now I'm also thinking about upping my headphone game in the near future.

I've been looking at the HD660S and the ATH-R70x. I have a soft spot for Audio Technica so I'd prefer those. But I guess the high impedance would make them unusable with the ZX300?

I'm open to any suggestions and help :) Still trying to figure this all out. Especially the stuff with balanced cables is totally new to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back