Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #9,016 of 12,862
Honestly, I feel like they sound identical since the recent FR updates. If I felt like the 1A sounded even marginally better, I would have kept it. I did maybe my ears aren't what they used to be lol.

Really though, I do trust them. I even got a blind test and picked the zx300 3/4 times
You did a blind test? Wow! I thought I was the only crazy one that spent 2+ hours @ Sony store last weekend just to test XBA-N1AP earphone against other IEMs & headphones before buying it in the end. Maybe I should do a blind test next time I make another major purchase. Then it would be more objective & less biased, I suppose.. :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #9,018 of 12,862
It's that "industry standard" battery life that really turns me off. It's why Sony always stays at the top of my list.s
True, that battery is somewhat disappointing compared to what Sony is capable of. What do you think of the other aspects however?

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #9,019 of 12,862
Nice cables, bro! Are those for 4.4mm balanced port? Where did you get them from? I may wanna buy for my XBA-N1AP as well...
Yes, these are 4.4mm balanced.
I bought the set 2nd hand and they arrived earlier.

Unfortunately I will have to sell them on again. My ears are just not suited to these IEMs

Yes, when I get them fitted in OK they sound great but I`ll have to stick with over-heads. I can`t walk around holding them in place :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #9,020 of 12,862
Yes, these are 4.4mm balanced.
I bought the set 2nd hand and they arrived earlier.

Unfortunately I will have to sell them on again. My ears are just not suited to these IEMs

Yes, when I get them fitted in OK they sound great but I`ll have to stick with over-heads. I can`t walk around holding them in place :)
Are they loose because the tips don't fit? You have to find the right size and type for your ear. Once you have a good seal, then they will not fall out of your ears. I've found the tips that fit for me, Final E type LL size. They seal so well that I need to push them sideways to break the seal before I can remove the earphone. They definitely will not fall out, or need regular adjustments to seat them.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #9,021 of 12,862
Are they loose because the tips don't fit? You have to find the right size and type for your ear. Once you have a good seal, then they will not fall out of your ears. I've found the tips that fit for me, Final E type LL size. They seal so well that I need to push them sideways to break the seal before I can remove the earphone. They definitely will not fall out, or need regular adjustments to seat them.
Thanks bud.
I`m looking at the big thread on tips but I could waste a whole lot more money trying various tips and maybe not find the one that works.

I`ll just sell them on.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9,022 of 12,862
You did a blind test? Wow! I thought I was the only crazy one that spent 2+ hours @ Sony store last weekend just to test XBA-N1AP earphone against other IEMs & headphones before buying it in the end. Maybe I should do a blind test next time I make another major purchase. Then it would be more objective & less biased, I suppose.. :)
Yeah I did conduct one. I think that when you buy something, it's definitely a good idea to at least put aside everything you think you know about a lineup and focus on what you know you like and want. If you can't do that, then yes, blind test lol. I think that we all have an "audiophile ego" to some extent and don't want to have less refined ears than others, so we buy what they say is good.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #9,023 of 12,862
Thanks bud.
I`m looking at the big thread on tips but I could waste a whole lot more money trying various tips and maybe not find the one that works.

I`ll just sell them on.
Here are some favorites: JVC Spiral Dot, Spinfit, Symbio W mandarin
http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w/

I found the Spiral Dots worked for me. The one that I like, and am using now, is the Final E, LL size. Don't forget to try different sizes for each ear, as both ears are not the same.

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/final-e-type-eartips-for-earphone
The curve at the bottom is what seems to work for me. It grips/compresses against the ear canal walls with any outward force, which actually helps it to seal.
27699623_1608648235893882_4333557890687172608_n_150x150.jpg

And here is an excellent guide:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04/ultimate-guide-selecting-perfect-iem-ear-buds-tips/

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,024 of 12,862
Here are some favorites: JVC Spiral Dot, Spinfit, Symbio W mandarin
http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w/

I found the Spiral Dots worked for me. The one that I like, and am using now, is the Final E, LL size. Don't forget to try different sizes for each ear, as both ears are not the same.

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/final-e-type-eartips-for-earphone
The curve at the bottom is what seems to work for me. It grips/compresses against the ear canal walls with any outward force, which actually helps it to seal.
27699623_1608648235893882_4333557890687172608_n_150x150.jpg

And here is an excellent guide:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04/ultimate-guide-selecting-perfect-iem-ear-buds-tips/
I like the final tips as well. The bore is perfect for the u12t. Another staple of mine is foam tips, but the kind that are more gummy, not complys. They came with my u12t so I'm not sure what bed they actually are.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #9,025 of 12,862
I like the final tips as well. The bore is perfect for the u12t. Another staple of mine is foam tips, but the kind that are more gummy, not complys. They came with my u12t so I'm not sure what bed they actually are.
I am checking cause it seems you own u12t. Have you pared the u12t with the zx300? How does it sound?

Also, for 64audio IEMs, either with the old ADEL module or now the APEX module, does spiral dots fits well? In one review I have read the nozzle is too narrow and long that spiraldot doesn't fit tight. But now it seems many are using. So getting confused...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #9,026 of 12,862
I am checking cause it seems you own u12t. Have you pared the u12t with the zx300? How does it sound?

Also, for 64audio IEMs, either with the old ADEL module or now the APEX module, does spiral dots fits well? In one review I have read the noozle is too narrow and long that spiraldot doesn't fit tight. But now it seems many are using. So getting confused...
Yeah I do own it! It's pretty awesome! It's a little bit bright, but is very tonally correct. The bass is fantastic and so is separation. They also pair very well with the zx300. 20190321_132250.jpg 20190321_132253.jpg

Spiral dots do fit a little strange on them. They come almost flush with the nozzle and are a little bit loose on the very end, though they don't slide off the nozzle. Symbios fit a little tighter

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #9,027 of 12,862
Yeah I do own it! It's pretty awesome! It's a little bit bright, but is very tonally correct. The bass is fantastic and so is separation. They also pair very well with the zx300.

Spiral dots do fit a little strange on them. They come almost flush with the nozzle and are a little bit loose on the very end, though they don't slide off the nozzle. Symbios fit a little tighter
thanks for your impressions. Glad to know ZX300 can drive pretty well a high end sensitive iem like u12t

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #9,029 of 12,862
Can anyone comment on whether or not this DAP will be prone to hiss with the Campfire Solaris?
For me there was a slight hiss. That sounds bad, but it was not very noticeable and it wasn't enough to bother me. The wm1a, on the other hand, did bother me. For some reason it has more hiss.

thanks for your impressions. Glad to know ZX300 can drive pretty well a high end sensitive iem like u12t

They do pair together very well :) no hiss to speak unless you turn the volume up to the max on high gain.
No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #9,030 of 12,862
For me there was a slight hiss. That sounds bad, but it was not very noticeable and it wasn't enough to bother me. The wm1a, on the other hand, did bother me. For some reason it has more hiss.

WM1A gave some more hiss? Strange! There must be at least a little difference with the chipset between the ZX300? I mean 1A gives a little more clarity and thus the hiss is also noticeable? Or particular unit fault?

They do pair together very well :) no hiss to speak unless you turn the volume up to the max on high gain.
No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Depending on the record also, High Gain and high volume hiss I do get from Andromeda as well. I believe it's unavoidable with ZX300. The sensitive or brighter the IEM is, the more likely hiss. But ZX300 alone gives a tempting signature with high volume so for that, my concentration grows there and the hiss is tolerable for me and I start to like the sparkles...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back