1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony NW-ZX300

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by riotgrrl, Jul 10, 2017.
First

Back
435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444
446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455
Next

Last
  1. ncristia
    Anyone picking up a second unit?

2. Sarcasmo
    Probably, but only to stop my eldest running off with mine...:triportsad:

superuser1 likes this.
  3. klyzon
    Wondering if it’s worth getting a wm1a to replace the zx300. Something tells me I’m gonna miss the compact size though

4. Hanafuda

I've been preparing to buy one or the other for several months, and was quite committed to the zx300 until recently. Still wouldn't mind having it. But I changed my mind to buying the WM1A, for 2 main reasons: 1) the much larger screen means I probably won't have to put on my reading glasses every time I pick it up, and 2) I want it.

I can't really think of any specification-based arguments that would justify the extra $$ for the WM1A. The zx300 is great. Buy the WM1A if you just really want it.

Also, it's all relative of course, but for those of us who lived the 80's, the WM1 series IS compact.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Sarcasmo, kms108, Hinomotocho and 2 others like this.
  5. The Fife Flyer
    Can you advise how it`s done please?

I managed to get rid of the volume cap so shouldn`t be difficult. I have the playlist feature but it doesn`t work.

6. equalspeace
    I had and sold 2 WM1As and now have the ZX300. I found the sound characteristics of the 1A to be not to my liking. YMMV

klyzon likes this.
  7. linux4ever
    The sound signature is noticeably different between Zx300 and wm1a.I like both and kept both.

Hanafuda likes this.
  8. Qrays34
    D54B904C-514F-4CF5-8075-6E4A97E98DFE.jpeg Really happy with my ZX300A, get it a Sony Leather Case, and an aftermarket copper cable with 4.4 for my Z5, and it’s doing so damn well...
    But since I’ve experienced the sound changing so much from different cables, I’m really curious about the MUC-M12SB1 (the Kimber Kable one).
    I can get a brand new Kimber for ~$200, but I’ve already spent $100 for the one I’m using... Really wonder if the Kimber is a worthy update thou...

equalspeace, Hinomotocho and Blommen like this.
  9. Blommen
    Nah, enjoy it now and down the road when you feel the urge to try something new, try another cable.

Qrays34 likes this.
  10. Hinomotocho
    I have the MUC-M12NB1 - non-Kimber.
    Which cable is that you're using?

11. Qrays34
    It doesn’t really have a name I think. It’s a 6-core-C6N copper cable made by a local shop in my country.

12. Hinomotocho
    Thanks, do they have a website/sell internationally?
    I considered the Kimber one but it is really expensive and I had read a few posts saying it wasn't worth the money. I've been considering a few other custom options.

13. kms108
    The Kimber kable is really thick, but flexible and soft, I'm not too liking it, it increases more bass than I need.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Qrays34 likes this.
  14. Qrays34
    I messaged them but they said they don’t do internationally shipping or so... But as I know there’re quite a lot aftermarket ones for the Z5, so hope you can find one soon :)
    Can you specify about that bass increasing? Like the bass goes deeper or hits harder or else?
    I actually quite fond of bass, and the bass through the Z5 now is about enough but doesn’t actually made me fall in love with.
    And what about the mid, treble and soundstage,...?

15. cthomas
    IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1141.JPG

So Ive had this thing for a couple of months now, thought I'd finally share some thoughts and pretend people care about what I have to say :wink:

First and foremost this is a definitely what I would describe as a "beautiful" sounding dap. Musical, detailed, transparent, detailed, clear, textured. And did I mention detailed.

Im loving the ZX300A so far. I only have around 40 hours burn-in but I like to ease in to these things the way old man eases into a hot tub.

I feel like the ZX has given the SE846 a breath of new life in a way, revealing a little layer of sparkle that I feel the Shure sorely needed.

The detail can come at a cost though. Some tracks can come across extremely sibilant and ear piercing. Mostly just down to bad recordings but I'm hoping a bit more burn-in might help with some of the sibilance.

One other small gripe I have (which ive seen mentioned a lot) is the lack of bass. I find it really only affects certain tracks so not a huge issue. I'd imagine a less bass heavy IEM would really suffer with this player though.

I have noticed in some cases tracks that use effects in the low end (usually EDM) come across very differently (in a good way) to how I've heard them before. Almost like someone's remixed the bass line.

Aesthetically it feels and looks really nice. I still feel my ZX1 was the best looking dap but this thing blows that out of the water in performance. Also feels a lot tighter construction and more well made than I expected.

Well done Sorny!

First

Back
435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444
446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455
Next

Last