Sony NW-ZX300
May 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #6,467 of 12,862
sold my ZX2 last year so what would be the best to replace it the ZX300 or WM1a]

Both are almost similar in sound quality. Other factors to consider:

Using headphones or iems? Wm1a is much better to drive headphones. zx300 can. But wma would be better.

Want more internal storage? Zx300 comes with 16gb or 64gb. Wm1a has 128gb.

Want that little bit extra that Wm1a provides to the sound quality? And willing to pay the extra price? Wm1a is the one.

Want external usb dac functionality? Zx300 it is.

Want a compact player? Zx300 it is. Wm1a is still pocketable but is more heavy.

May 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #6,468 of 12,862
Both are almost similar in sound quality. Other factors to consider:

Using headphones or iems? Wm1a is much better to drive headphones. zx300 can. But wma would be better.

Want more internal storage? Zx300 comes with 16gb or 64gb. Wm1a has 128gb.

Want that little bit extra that Wm1a provides to the sound quality? And willing to pay the extra price? Wm1a is the one.

Want external usb dac functionality? Zx300 it is.

Want a compact player? Zx300 it is. Wm1a is still pocketable but is more heavy.

True, but I'm not sure the differences are so significant as that. The zx300 output on balanced is 200mW @ 16ohms, the WM1 is 250mW @ 16ohms. Yes, that makes the zx300's output on balanced 80% of the WM1’s, but compared to (for example) the TA-ZH1ES pumping 1200mW @ 32 ohms, the WM1’s advantage doesn’t seem as mentionable. On the other end of consideration, take a look at Raybies' Class A SE 300B Tube amp on page 302 of this thread (LINK) - lovely picture, impressive piece of gear, but it has lower power output than the ZX300's balanced out. I’ve read posts here from owners of HD660s, LCD2 & LCD2c, MDR-Z1R, and other large cans, all happy with them on their zx300. Should you expect to get the best out of a 600 ohm impedance Beyerdynamic with the zx300? Nope. But the same goes for the WM1.

As for storage space, the WM1 will probably always have a 64GB advantage over the ZX300. But with the sd slot right now that means 464 on the ZX300, 528 on the WM1. If it turns out that both DAPs can also read 512GB cards, the ratio will tighten even more.

It’s a mixed bag but $450 or so saved can go a long way towards another toy. (Anyone willing to buy used can defray that a bit of course.)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #6,469 of 12,862
Had the same dilema. Decided on the wm1a for the bigger screen and solid build. Also locally was on sale so the difference was $200 which made it easier.

May 12, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #6,470 of 12,862
Had the same dilema. Decided on the wm1a for the bigger screen and solid build. Also locally was on sale so the difference was $200 which made it easier.

For that difference, I'd probably go with the WM1A too. My understanding is it does have a better unbalanced circuit (i.e. SE), and I have a couple headphones that I still plan to keep using that are fixed cable and aren't getting modded (in particular, the MA900). There's no doubt the WM1 has the better spec sheet, just that price difference. I'll be buying in Tokyo late next month (actually, my wife will be there visiting family and with my shopping list), and right now the zx300 is coming out to about $498, give or take a few. Up against ~ $960+ for the WM1A ... well.

May 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #6,471 of 12,862
For that difference, I'd probably go with the WM1A too. My understanding is it does have a better unbalanced circuit (i.e. SE), and I have a couple headphones that I still plan to keep using that are fixed cable and aren't getting modded (in particular, the MA900). There's no doubt the WM1 has the better spec sheet, just that price difference. I'll be buying in Tokyo late next month (actually, my wife will be there visiting family and with my shopping list), and right now the zx300 is coming out to about $498, give or take a few. Up against ~ $960+ for the WM1A ... well.
Don't forget to budget for those Z1R

May 12, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #6,472 of 12,862
Don't forget to budget for those Z1R

Sorry to say that's just about abandoned for now. I'm just gonna copy/past something I posted in another thread a few days ago: "I've also noticed that the mdr-z1r suddenly went back to its full retail price recently at websites for all the major Japanese retailers. Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Yamada Denki etc. are all listing the Z1R at full retail where until about a month ago it was at about 166000 yen ($1510-ish). Using the 'check store stock' link on the Bic Camera website, I was able to see that the Z1R is back-ordered at almost every BicCamera store in the Tokyo area. Just guessing, but either something interrupted production at Sony Taiyo, or they could be tooling up for the next thing."

And yeah, I'm just guessing, but I've looked out to other cities besides Tokyo and there really does seem to be a serious supply issue with the Z1R, at least in Japan. Even some bigger cities are completely back-ordered, at least at BicCamera. (But I think you know how bizarre that sounds.) The prospect of buying them for about $1500 is what got me thinking on it in the first place, and that was a stretch along w/ the zx300, but at $1850 or so it's really a much harder sell. This is in the middle of a trip that's going to cost about $16k total, so tacking on $2500+ for my goodies - well, bad timing let's say. My wife's none too thrilled about the idea of lugging a 10lb box around while shopping, either. I haven't written it off altogether, but I just don't relish the thought of getting gouged for full retail during a shortage. I can actually order them locally (the non-warrantied 'international version'), with tax, for about the same as buying in Japan tax-free right now.

There's always the possibility the Z1R is still at the discounted price if you go in-store, and Sony is just forcing them to list full retail, but there's no way for me to know that from here. Maybe you could check it sometime??? (edit: just kidding btw. you probably wouldn't be able to find out unless you went to one of the few stores that have it in stock anyway)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #6,473 of 12,862
I’d love to hear ZR1 but even with my good expendable cash situation I’m never going to pay over a grand for a dap or cans. Lol

Unless for an anniversary Sony :wink:

Hey don’t forget about the Matt screen on the 300 for an OCD freak like me it’s a godsend I mean you don’t get that on the 1A :wink:

I still can’t believe I paid 900 bucks for the beyer T8s but I’ve never heard anything like them including full size cans.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,474 of 12,862
Sorry to say that's just about abandoned for now. I'm just gonna copy/past something I posted in another thread a few days ago: "I've also noticed that the mdr-z1r suddenly went back to its full retail price recently at websites for all the major Japanese retailers. Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Yamada Denki etc. are all listing the Z1R at full retail where until about a month ago it was at about 166000 yen ($1510-ish). Using the 'check store stock' link on the Bic Camera website, I was able to see that the Z1R is back-ordered at almost every BicCamera store in the Tokyo area. Just guessing, but either something interrupted production at Sony Taiyo, or they could be tooling up for the next thing."

And yeah, I'm just guessing, but I've looked out to other cities besides Tokyo and there really does seem to be a serious supply issue with the Z1R, at least in Japan. Even some bigger cities are completely back-ordered, at least at BicCamera. (But I think you know how bizarre that sounds.) The prospect of buying them for about $1500 is what got me thinking on it in the first place, and that was a stretch along w/ the zx300, but at $1850 or so it's really a much harder sell. This is in the middle of a trip that's going to cost about $16k total, so tacking on $2500+ for my goodies - well, bad timing let's say. My wife's none too thrilled about the idea of lugging a 10lb box around while shopping, either. I haven't written it off altogether, but I just don't relish the thought of getting gouged for full retail during a shortage. I can actually order them locally (the non-warrantied 'international version'), with tax, for about the same as buying in Japan tax-free right now.

There's always the possibility the Z1R is still at the discounted price if you go in-store, and Sony is just forcing them to list full retail, but there's no way for me to know that from here. Maybe you could check it sometime??? (edit: just kidding btw. you probably wouldn't be able to find out unless you went to one of the few stores that have it in stock anyway)
Maybe it's time to discuss with your wife about that unused brand bag in the cupboard?
Would you consider the MDR-1AM2 as a more affordable option?

May 12, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #6,475 of 12,862
Maybe it's time to discuss with your wife about that unused brand bag in the cupboard?
Would you consider the MDR-1AM2 as a more affordable option?

ehh, we both have our luxury goodies that don't get a lot of use. I can't fault her over that. If it weren't for the trip happening at the same time, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, the 1AM2 is the backup plan, since a backpack headphone is always good to have anyway, and I haven't had one since I gave my oldest the ATH-ES7 years ago. (He proceeded to break it within a few months.)

The issue really is more about what the price is, not about how much the price is. I just really, really don't want to pay Sony's full retail, whether it be here or there. A month ago I was looking at paying $1500-1525 for the Z1R. Now another $325 or so's been tacked onto that, basically just on the dare that I'll pay it anyway. Makes me itch. (they may be right though)

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #6,476 of 12,862
ehh, we both have our luxury goodies that don't get a lot of use. I can't fault her over that. If it weren't for the trip happening at the same time, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, the 1AM2 is the backup plan, since a backpack headphone is always good to have anyway, and I haven't had one since I gave my oldest the ATH-ES7 years ago. (He proceeded to break it within a few months.)

The issue really is more about what the price is, not about how much the price is. I just really, really don't want to pay Sony's full retail, whether it be here or there. A month ago I was looking at paying $1500-1525 for the Z1R. Now another $325 or so's been tacked onto that, basically just on the dare that I'll pay it anyway. Makes me itch. (they may be right though)
Accessory Jack seem to be doing a good price with free shipping for the MDR-1AM2 - don't know how it compares to Japan pricing, but maybe 1 less box for her to carry

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #6,477 of 12,862
Accessory Jack seem to be doing a good price with free shipping for the MDR-1AM2 - don't know how it compares to Japan pricing, but maybe 1 less box for her to carry

BicCamera's got the 1AM2 at 24,130 yen this morning. It fluctuates, sometimes it's 26,xxx yen. But at the time I'm posting this, that price translates to $208.60 when buying as a tourist (no tax and 5% off at Bic). I'm also planning on getting the muc-s12nb1 cable if I get the 1AM2 - nice but reasonable upgrade in cable build quality.

The 1AM2 is nothing to carry around, since it's not in a 10lb leather-wrapped plywood box like the Z1R. (Actually, almost any other headphone is nothing to carry around in its retail packaging compared to the Z1R.)

I do wish there was a closed headphone in the midrange between $300 and $1500 that matched up with my desires and easily adaptable to the 4.4 balanced jack. Obviously I'm a Sony fanboy, and I shy from shrieking treble. I've considered the Z7 as a compromise, but I've been warned it's not isolating at all, and that's kind of a prerequisite. The Cascade is too clampy, weird, and pricey once you throw in the ALO 4.4 cable.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #6,480 of 12,862

The zx300a. It has been the subject of discussion a number of times in this thread. There are a few differences ... 1) copper jacks, not gold plated, 2) 16gb instead of 64, but you still have the sd slot, 3) chinese language, but you can get around that.

Overall, super deal. But not unknown to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back