Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #5,011 of 12,862
For open headphones I have just got the Focal Clear and it sounds great on the ZX300 even on SE which really surprises me. Also I've tried the HD660S and is nice out of the ZX300 though similar to the older HD650 it's a warmish phone so I'm not sure they fit your quest for good female vocal. For closed cans the Z1R can be driven well from the ZX300 as well but it's not a female vocal focus phone out of the box, but if you dial in a bit of EQ to tone down the bass and boost the mids a little you can make it work well with vocals.
i won't touch focal until someone make sure they improve the reliability of their drivers.. with the elear and utopia dying left and right.

yeah, the hd 660s and the z1r is on my list. i mostly listen to rap and female vocals. which one do you think is better for both?

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #5,012 of 12,862
i won't touch focal until someone make sure they improve the reliability of their drivers.. with the elear and utopia dying left and right.

yeah, the hd 660s and the z1r is on my list. i mostly listen to rap and female vocals. which one do you think is better for both?

If you throw in rap then Z1R hands down because the quality of the bass of the Z1R is really satisfying.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #5,014 of 12,862
looks like i need both.. lol

I'm really finding my two pairs of Z1R and Clear to be my end game close/open dynamic headphones that I'm in the process of getting rid of all my other full size dynamic cans (I'm saving for a pair of STAX but that's a different category). I think if you can find a place with good return policy and quick turn around time for replacements it won't hurt to give the Clear a try.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #5,015 of 12,862
I'm really finding my two pairs of Z1R and Clear to be my end game close/open dynamic headphones that I'm in the process of getting rid of all my other full size dynamic cans (I'm saving for a pair of STAX but that's a different category). I think if you can find a place with good return policy and quick turn around time for replacements it won't hurt to give the Clear a try.
yeah, it's tempting. there are local warranty for focal headphones but the clear is not available here yet. i have to go to neighboring country to buy it which means no warranty. and looking at their track record. i'm going to give it a pass.

the z1r is tempting for now, and maybe the 660s or something else for vocal. their 4.4 cable is a welcome bonus. need to give them a listen.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #5,016 of 12,862
yeah, it's tempting. there are local warranty for focal headphones but the clear is not available here yet. i have to go to neighboring country to buy it which means no warranty. and looking at their track record. i'm going to give it a pass.

the z1r is tempting for now, and maybe the 660s or something else for vocal. their 4.4 cable is a welcome bonus. need to give them a listen.

That's too bad. Though I think having both Z1R and HD660S would be sort of redundant.

There's one more can that you can also try - Denon AH-D7200. I had these before and they are not that hard to drive.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #5,018 of 12,862
You should be able to get the MDR-Z1R's on your budget.
I have a pair w/ low hours, but with my tube amp female vocals in trance/chill trance sound awesome... and I mean awesome.
I bought them originally for the zx300, but I prefer the sound and space w/ the tubes. WXC-50 feeds the tubes.
As you know everything is subjective.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #5,019 of 12,862
You should be able to get the MDR-Z1R's on your budget.
I have a pair w/ low hours, but with my tube amp female vocals in trance/chill trance sound awesome... and I mean awesome.
I bought them originally for the zx300, but I prefer the sound and space w/ the tubes. WXC-50 feeds the tubes.
As you know everything is subjective.
how is it with the zx300? can the zx300 properly drive the z1r?

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #5,020 of 12,862
i can't find denon here... very limited options.
how about the adx5000? did you ever hear it?

Yes I've heard those - but fed from the Sony TA-ZH1ES desktop amp and not the most quiet of environment, never directly from a Walkman. So I can't make any comments on that particular pairing. Though IIRC these are pretty high impedance and the sensitivity is not the best, these headphones would benefit from a more powerful source.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #5,021 of 12,862
how is it with the zx300? can the zx300 properly drive the z1r?
They drive them fine... High gain usually 90-100; no distortion at 120 but I want to preserve my hearing.
I think I've developed a taste for phat bass and high dynamic ranges, so I find the zx300 flat/accurate/boring. The Z1R's help a little, but they're quite accurate too... it's not until I get something warm like a tube amp that I get awed.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #5,022 of 12,862
Yes I've heard those - but fed from the Sony TA-ZH1ES desktop amp and not the most quiet of environment, never directly from a Walkman. So I can't make any comments on that particular pairing. Though IIRC these are pretty high impedance and the sensitivity is not the best, these headphones would benefit from a more powerful source.

i see, seems like the z1r still my best bet.

They drive them fine... High gain usually 90-100; no distortion at 120 but I want to preserve my hearing.
I think I've developed a taste for phat bass and high dynamic ranges, so I find the zx300 flat/accurate/boring. The Z1R's help a little, but they're quite accurate too... it's not until I get something warm like a tube amp that I get awed.
I'm slowly building my desktop setup too, a proper headphone first. dac and amp later. need to properly manage my spending lol

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #5,024 of 12,862
Do you use direct source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back