Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #4,156 of 12,862
I wonder how balanced ZX300, compares with TRRS ZX2. ( I've ordered a TRRS cable from the US, because i've never listened this way. I hope the expense will be worth it ! ? )

That begs the question, is the ZX300 better than the ZX2, in general ?
I have both, and I personally think the ZX2 is better in everyway, apart from not supporting a true balanced output through the 3.5mm, and because the 4.4mm connector wasn't released when the ZX2 was designed and released on to the market.

I still have no intention in selling my ZX2 in which I can say is in 100℅ prestige condition.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #4,157 of 12,862
I have the OEM case, it's a really snug fit (and the quality feels great). I wouldn't worry about any damage to the silver model but the black one has a fairly sensitive coating. There's a soft lining on the inside of the case that extends to the parts that hold on to the housing of the zx300. The case doesn't really strike me as the type to be taken on and off frequently. Here's some pics...
XE0qvw2.jpg

92ZjQ91.jpg

I have the oem case for the nw-zx100, does it still have the magnetic closing action on this case? just wondering

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #4,159 of 12,862
Thanks for your useful feedback. Would you say there is a noteable difference between true balanced & "not true balanced" ?

I've owned my ZX2 for more than 2 years, still in pristine condition & i'm as impressed with it now, as the first time i listened.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #4,160 of 12,862
Thanks for your useful feedback. Would you say there is a noteable difference between true balanced & "not true balanced" ?

I've owned my ZX2 for more than 2 years, still in pristine condition & i'm as impressed with it now, as the first time i listened.
I would call the Zx2 separate grounding rather than a pseudo Balanced, all it does is separate the groumd cables to it reaches the main unit, within the ZX2 unit, the ground cables rejoint together if I remember correctly, this provide less interference giving a slight better SQ over SE.

The ZX300 is a totally different thing, total separation with increased power. so there is a difference,

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #4,161 of 12,862
iBasso IT01 arrived today.

IMG_20180126_192742.jpg

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #4,163 of 12,862
I love the sound so much after 200 hours I'd be afraid of any changes the mod might make. I mean I can't think of anything I'd like done better. Good deep fast bass- check, liquid and detailed mids- check, extended and detailed highs that are natural and not grainy- check, a nice wide and deep sound stage- check, insane layering and space and positioning- check. Excellent timing and prat and dynamics- check. Excellent natural timbre- check. All delivered in a very 3d ish but very cohesive way. In other words it's so easy to pick out separate instruments and vocals in their own 3d space, but it's still very easy to get lost in the song as a whole and not analytical at all. Very musical I guess you could say for want of a better term.

Ok I guess you get the point.

Oh maybe one thing, more output power. :ksc75smile:

I have been worrying about the output power on the EU version. EU Sony DAPs are all volume restricted and supposedly quite quiet.

EDIT. I found the links for fixing EU volume cap thanks.

I am still only thinking about buying a ZX300. Hard work keeping up with the thread though, because it moves so fast.

I've sent an e-mail to Whathifi to complain about their underexamined review

Yeah the hands on review. I am waiting on some pro-reviews. Sony DAPs on What Hi-Fi tend to all score 4/5. I can't help thinking the ZX-300 will make 5/5 though.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,164 of 12,862
iBasso IT01 arrived today.

I was considering those, but looked to big for my now sensitive ears. Super, you running them balanced? How do they sound overall? I got the oriveti new primacy (what a name! Lol) and I can almost actually wear them for a while, they sound nice too. I re ordered hifiman re800 a used pair that I know is working so I can check them out- they are so small.

Zx300 seems to do good with most iems, I was worried about the oriveti sounding too warm with the Sony, but no plenty of beautiful smooth highs, a very nice iem for the price.

Ok um back to 300, lol. Hawaii bad boy where are you man? :)

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #4,165 of 12,862
I have both, and I personally think the ZX2 is better in everyway, apart from not supporting a true balanced output through the 3.5mm, and because the 4.4mm connector wasn't released when the ZX2 was designed and released on to the market.

I still have no intention in selling my ZX2 in which I can say is in 100℅ prestige condition.

I would call the Zx2 separate grounding rather than a pseudo Balanced, all it does is separate the groumd cables to it reaches the main unit, within the ZX2 unit, the ground cables rejoint together if I remember correctly, this provide less interference giving a slight better SQ over SE.

The ZX300 is a totally different thing, total separation with increased power. so there is a difference,

Thanks for the explanation, hopefully i'll experience true balanced one day ! ?

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,166 of 12,862
I have been worrying about the output power on the EU version. EU Sony DAPs are all volume restricted and supposedly quite quiet.

EDIT. I found the links for fixing EU volume cap thanks.

I am still only thinking about buying a ZX300. Hard work keeping up with the thread though, because it moves so fast.

Yeah the hands on review. I am waiting on some pro-reviews. Sony DAPs on What Hi-Fi tend to all score 4/5. I can't help thinking the ZX-300 will make 5/5 though.

I highly suggest zx300 if you don't care about streaming, I don't care about the star rating as I said, means nothing. But the poo, pooing of the zx300's sound just isn't accurate to my ears. Mine has loads of life and great dynamics, not soft at all, unless the piece is soft. Shure ha ha you're not gonna drive HD 600's properly but most stuff is going to be fine.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,167 of 12,862
I was considering those, but looked to big for my now sensitive ears. Super, you running them balanced? How do they sound overall? I got the oriveti new primacy (what a name! Lol) and I can almost actually wear them for a while, they sound nice too. I re ordered hifiman re800 a used pair that I know is working so I can check them out- they are so small.

Zx300 seems to do good with most iems, I was worried about the oriveti sounding too warm with the Sony, but no plenty of beautiful smooth highs, a very nice iem for the price.

Ok um back to 300, lol. Hawaii bad boy where are you man? :)
Yes i am running them balanced and i must say they need some burn in. Out of the box the highs are hot which i am hoping the burn in and tip rolling will tame. I will let you know how they sound once they are adequately burnt in. :)

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4,170 of 12,862
Last time I checked my ZX300 was on this guys boat.

Joybuy clearly states 20-30 days.. They mean every bit of the 20-30 days an not a day faster. I eagerly wait the 1 month wait time for my ZX300. In the mean while I will just pretend my lowly Fiio X1 has the Sony sound I am looking for. :triportsad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back