Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 5, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,447 of 12,862
There is a lot of opinion in high end audio and listener's opinion's are the worst of it from an engineering or science perspective. That said, the hobby is all about what it sounds like to us. If you found something that sounds better to you than the Benchmark, buy it and love it. I don't own a Benchmark anything either.

But I would counter that the article was written by an electronic design engineer and was vetted by a company that sells equipment primarily to professional applications like recording studios. I would think twice about blowing them off so quickly. Even if they made bad gear, which they don't, that is not a rebuttal to the engineering argument made in the white paper. What exactly can you find wrong with the content of the paper? Oh, and while we're at it what is the proof --beyond hearsay and audiophile opinion -- that balanced circuits have a better soundstage?

Just from listening and owning over 20 really good balanced headphones amplifiers from various makers. Again, I would rate benchmark DAC with headphone amp unit as being very overpriced for the performance that you can get now. Their DACs used to be very good but not any more in today's very competitive matket. The NAD M51 that I used to own easily best their DAC3 in a direct comparison and this is not counting the Yggy. They wrote that article to justify keeping the same bright and slightly harsh headphone amp module on all of their line up. Again, it has been my direct experience with their gears so I just want to counter their claim.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,448 of 12,862
Can't argue with what you hear. At least you have a basis for comparison. Would also point out that professional gear is often over-priced for the consumer market and appears to deliver less for the $. I don't see Benchmark as competitive in the consumer audiophile market either. Like I said, I don't own any Benchmark. Professional recordists may see it differently as they are focused on accurate and analytical rather than purely enjoyable. The gear is also overbuilt for the consumer market. In fairness to Benchmark I have to point out that there is a lot of hi-end audiophile gear that is priced higher and may or may not perform as well.

I just thought that was a well written thoughtful white paper that's worth thinking about even if at the end of the day, one disagrees. It's always worth revisiting stuff everybody takes for granted. FWIW, I use balanced interconnects on my electronic kit, but not on my headphones or speakers.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,449 of 12,862
I am in the same boat with you regarding professional vs consumer. Many of said reviewers are always either get the reviewe samples at cost or even free so it's tough for them for not being a bit bias with their review. One thing for sure is trust your ears and go with your preference and system synergy is a key to best performance sometime.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2,451 of 12,862
Does the balanced out and SE output at the same time with 2 separate headphone connected?

If it is same as WM1A then no.

For WM1A, the DAP prioritise balanced, once you plug the 4.4mm balanced the 3.5mm will be off.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,452 of 12,862
Thanks. Darn. Beginning to wonder if A&K Kann with two SE and two Balanced along with streaming and Apt-x HD isn't a better option for another US$ 200. Any opinions? What other alternatives can match the ZX300? I don't see any.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2,453 of 12,862
Thanks. Darn. Beginning to wonder if A&K Kann with two SE and two Balanced along with streaming and Apt-x HD isn't a better option for another US$ 200. Any opinions? What other alternatives can match the ZX300? I don't see any.

well it's ugly as ****, imo lol and I've heard it's really warm sounding. I mean if you are just looking for the 2 high quality bluetooth types the nw new a40 would fit the bill and it's about 500 cheaper. Now would the zx300 sound better over bluetooth? I can't answer that, it sounds better over the SE than the a35. But 500 dollars worth, hell no lol. But I am a tightwad so...... I got it for the balanced and matt screen.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,455 of 12,862
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my gut tells me that using a splitter will decrease audio quality. It'd be a shame to use that on a ZX300 if you ask me :)

Bluetooth is one-to-one protocol (for safety reasons I think, but not sure). Wireless technology that can stream to mulitple devices at the same time is by radio signals, like the Sennheiser RS series.
But that's not very portable, so :triportsad:
your best bet for a wireless two-person solution would be to buy a portable bluetooth speaker, but if you're travelling by plane that's not an option ofcourse.
The Samsung Note 8 smartphone can send music to two BT devices at the same time.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,457 of 12,862
Need some help, for those who has the original flip case from Sony, can you help confirm something for me, in the photo you can see the vinyl or fake leather at the bottom part of the case, does your case have the fake leather covering the full part or is the thin rim near the top is uncovered. Apart from that the case is good quality, and highly recommended over others like the dignis or the ML brand.

Thanks

IMG_20171106_194447.jpg

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,458 of 12,862
Need some help, for those who has the original flip case from Sony, can you help confirm something for me, in the photo you can see the vinyl or fake leather at the bottom part of the case, does your case have the fake leather covering the full part or is the thin rim near the top is uncovered. Apart from that the case is good quality, and highly recommended over others like the dignis or the ML brand.

Thanks

I would help, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly. And btw, the leather is not fake, it's real leather. But it's not vegetably tanned but treated for daily usage.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,459 of 12,862
I would help, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly
thanks for the reply, you see the wm port side, that area is covered with a fake leather like vinyl, there is a section of that area not covered, that thin area just above the wmport in the photo.

gggg47.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,460 of 12,862
thanks for the reply, you see the wm port side, that area is covered with a fake leather like vinyl, there is a section of that area not covered, that thin area just above the wmport in the photo.
Ah, I see. Yes, it's the same with mine. That strip was probably too small to wrap it in leather, so you just have bare polyurethane. I like the case a lot, I don't have that irky feeling like with most cases that I want to take it off constantly to showcase the device. Classy case, thick but very protective

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back