Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,461 of 12,862
thick and big, but most of all, well protected.

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,462 of 12,862
Here you go, some pics to confirm that your case looks the same from all sides :)

https://imgur.com/a/yABpl
https://imgur.com/a/tuh8T
yABpl

tuh8T

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,463 of 12,862
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,464 of 12,862
thanks for the reply, you see the wm port side, that area is covered with a fake leather like vinyl, there is a section of that area not covered, that thin area just above the wmport in the photo.

lol I was going to ask the same thing. I thought I got a bum case. Well anyways I went out and shot a python with my daisy and skinned it and cured it and I covered that spot up myself. Now my case is worth thousands because of the rare albino python leather.

Oh I forgot to mention it was an albino python, quite the feat here in north America :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,466 of 12,862
lol I was going to ask the same thing. I thought I got a bum case. Well anyways I went out and shot a python with my daisy and skinned it and cured it and I covered that spot up myself. Now my case is worth thousands because of the rare albino python leather.

Oh I forgot to mention it was an albino,python, quite the feat here in north America :wink:
send me a inch of the skin.:beerchug:

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,467 of 12,862
I have to say I have zero complaints with the sound on this baby. That being said I used the eq for the first time today... Very minor adjustment and I swear the sound stage widened. Now on a35, the eq actually makes the stage smaller to my ears, so that was a very nice bonus. I don't normally eq, but this is a very good Implementation of eq!

The more I listen the more Impressed I am, and that's just with the SE. I also think on this machine higher bit rates and good mastering REALLY matter and lower bitrate and bad mastered stuff sounds well just bad. I mean I thought the zx300 would be more forgiving than my ak70 on crappier stuff but it's the opposite. I have some old weird stuff at 128 kbps and it actually sounds decent on ak70. Well not on the zx300 it sounds hollow and lifeless and really artifacty? Lol new word.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #2,468 of 12,862
I have to say I have zero complaints with the sound on this baby. That being said I used the eq for the first time today... Very minor adjustment and I swear the sound stage widened. Now on a35, the eq actually makes the stage smaller to my ears, so that was a very nice bonus. I don't normally eq, but this is a very good Implementation of eq!

The more I listen the more Impressed I am, and that's just with the SE. I also think on this machine higher bit rates and good mastering REALLY matter and lower bitrate and bad mastered stuff sounds well just bad. I mean I thought the zx300 would be more forgiving than my ak70 on crappier stuff but it's the opposite. I have some old weird stuff at 128 kbps and it actually sounds decent on ak70. Well not on the zx300 it sounds hollow and lifeless and really artifacty? Lol new word.
VBR MP3 is as low as I'm willing to go on this, and it sounded okay. All my other files are flac (not hi-res). I've got way too much rather obscure stuff that will never get a hi-res (let alone DSD) release, so in order to achieve some consistency, I chose flac :wink:

To be quite honest, with my Klipsch X10's, I cannot hear improvement over 16 bit flac and Hi-res. Perhaps with my audiotechnica ath-AD1000X but I don't bother using over-ears on a dap.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,470 of 12,862
The Samsung Note 8 smartphone can send music to two BT devices at the same time.

That's a first as far as I know. I'd be interested if I weren't up to my armpits in Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. Apple has made me a captive consumer. That said I recently bought a NUC to run Roon instead of a Mac Mini and I plan to buy the ZX300 so I am trying to wean myself away from Apple. I will take a look at the Note.

Truth be told, I have a Mojo and by adding the new Poly I get everything I need for a player EXCEPT and this is a big EXCEPT, it can't support two headphones wirelessly. Bluetooth is so crippled, If the headphones were Wi-Fi wireless we would be able to connect multiple pairs (but battery life would be shorter--Bluetooth is very efficient).

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2,471 of 12,862
@abitdeef btw, have you tried the upscaling on the 128 kbps? Curious what it will achieve on these files :) . I tried it on flac-files but found it rather dull sounding.

I don't think it's the bitrate as much as how they were mastered. I will try it on them later - fighting a bug right now :frowning2: I suspect they might sound better on the ak70 because of the wide and narrow sound stage. The zx300 seems to have a more 3d soundscape which doesn't work good with these files. I tried the upscale on some of them and they sound maybe a bit more defined, depending on the dsee hx setting. I don't listen to them too much anyways :wink: The zx300 does have many more sound enhancement settings over the a35. If you're looking to taylor the sound a bit. Also the sharp and slow LPF filter roll off settings alter things very subtly. i set mine to sharp.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #2,472 of 12,862
That's a first as far as I know. I'd be interested if I weren't up to my armpits in Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. Apple has made me a captive consumer. That said I recently bought a NUC to run Roon instead of a Mac Mini and I plan to buy the ZX300 so I am trying to wean myself away from Apple. I will take a look at the Note.

Truth be told, I have a Mojo and by adding the new Poly I get everything I need for a player EXCEPT and this is a big EXCEPT, it can't support two headphones wirelessly. Bluetooth is so crippled, If the headphones were Wi-Fi wireless we would be able to connect multiple pairs (but battery life would be shorter--Bluetooth is very efficient).
Would something like this suit you?

THIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back