SONY NW-ZX2
May 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #11,716 of 14,755
OK, so....I'm at probably 125 hours into my listening time on the ZX2. I've been listening exclusively with my se846 monitors which I basically purchased at the same time. On first listening to music (any music, lossy, lossless, mp3s, 16 bit, 24bit, 192kbps, etc) the ZX2 made everything sound incredible. In the last 10 hours or so it feels like all music sounds very flat. It also feels like the low frequency listening has taken a massive dump. It almost feels like I'm listening to my alarm clock radio. Is this what I should be expecting during the "break in" period? Any input would be appreciated. It actually has me pretty worried, like something is not functioning correctly. I changed out the filters in the IEMs and tried messing with the eq. I was hoping for something/anything but nothing has worked. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just breaking in, but how can something sound so horrible after being awesome for the last 6 weeks. Your input is appreciated.

Chet

Other users (see page 327 of this forum)  have noted that the sound changes quite a bit during the break in period, up to 180 hours. I believe people have noted the same thing you are observing, that it goes through a period where it sounds worse at some point, before it continues improving.   So don't obsess too much!  Keep burning in/using it, and give it some more time.  Your faith will be rewarded!

May 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #11,717 of 14,755
250 hours is the burn-in requirement from Zx2....and not 100 hours stated by Sony! Unless, your capacitors are physically burned

Thanks whitigir, I have to say after leaving the player going over night and listening this morning, the sound is not the same, lol. My only concern was with the first 6 weeks of use at approximately 3 hours a day I felt there was no change to the music. I thought all of you be crazy (haha jk of course). But then I put in my ear buds two days ago (right after work the same as the last 6 weeks) and right away felt something was off. Right now I'll say it's improved, but still not as awesome as it has been.

May 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #11,718 of 14,755
Just got my W60 today. It sounds a bit too warm at the beginning. After playing with the EQ on my ZX2, with +5 on 2.5kHz and 6kHz and +7 on 16kHz frequencies, I got a very decent sound. While having the warm character, it also getting plenty of mids and highs.
Let's see how it goes after letting it burn in after the coming few days. =)

I was surprised how well the EQ can improve the sound on the earphone!

May 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #11,722 of 14,755
First my dap history: ipod classic -> fiio x3 -> zx1 -> ak100ii -> onkyo dp-x1.

As i was still within the 30 day window, I just returned my 2.5 week old onkyo xp1 after deciding it was not for me; i rarely took advantage of the dual dac (using a mojo most of the time), the unit was too heavy in a stack, and there were quirks in the android implementation i did not like. Lastly, the battery time was horrible, especially with the mojo attached.

So, i bought a zx2 from the head-fi classifieds and, wow! So much better! This is my perfect dap:
1. Not too heavy, a little hefty but manageable. Also, rounded edges and other small, but noticible high-end flourishes.
2. Fantastic android implementation! Yes, yes, still 4.2 but actually much better than the onkyo's lollipop. More intuitive and robust. The older android version is fine for me as long as it is optimized for music use.
3. Load times are quicker and the sd card is actually usable outside the default music app.
4. Great bluetooth and wifi, fast and quality.
5. Battery is amazing.
6. Sound is unbelievably great, neutral across the board without being sterile and optional mojo connection for me, if headphones are too inefficient, that sounds perfect together.

It really is a wonderful device that checks all the right boxes for me. I just wish i bit the bullet and bought the zx2 sooner, the price out me off at first, but it really is worth every penny.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: words

May 23, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #11,723 of 14,755
First my dap history: ipod classic -> fiio x3 -> zx1 -> ak100ii -> onkyo dp-x1.

As i was still within the 30 day window, I just returned my 2.5 week old onkyo xp1 after deciding it was not for me; i rarely took advantage of the dual dac (using a mojo most of the time), the unit was too heavy in a stack, and there were quirks in the android implementation i did not like. Lastly, the battery time was horrible, especially with the mojo attached.

So, i bought a zx2 from the head-fi classifieds and, wow! So much better! This is my perfect dap:
1. Not too heavy, a little hefty but manageable. Also, rounded edges and other small, but noticible high-end flourishes.
2. Fantastic android implementation! Yes, yes, still 4.2 but actually much better than the onkyo's lollipop. More intuitive and robust. The older android version is fine for me as long as it is optimized for music use.
3. Load times are quicker and the sd card is actually usable outside the default music app.
4. Great bluetooth and wifi, fast and quality.
5. Battery is amazing.
6. Sound is unbelievably great, neutral across the board without being sterile and optional mojo connection for me, if headphones are too inefficient, that sounds perfect together.

It really is a wonderful device that checks all the right boxes for me. I just wish i bit the bullet and bought the zx2 sooner, the price out me off at first, but it really is worth every penny.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: words

This is next on my list too. I'm fed up with wasting my time on Chinese daps like ibasso, Fiio, Hisound, and Questyle. They're just unprofessional and unpolished. Hopefully the ZX2 will be endgame.
PS , make sure you follow the advice to disable the sound adjustments in this thread. It worked for my ZX1 so now it sounds like $700 dap...and better. Hopefully it works for the ZX2 as well, because I believe that would put it on par with the AK 380.....seriously.

May 23, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #11,724 of 14,755
I have the ZX2 ( around 300 hrs burn in/listening time) and I have been very happy with it. However, I am trying to recuperate some money to bolster my savings at the moment and was considering selling it.

If anyone is interested on here and gave me a decent offer I would definitely consider selling it.- begrudgingly as I love it! :frowning2:

I have also been using it with a moon audio silver dragon cable for the Shure Se846 IEMs with the TRRS termination, which makes it sound fantastic!. So if someone has the 846s and was looking at the ZX2 I could it all together as a package.

What are other peoples thoughts on the silver dragon cables with TRRS with the ZX2? In my opinion it made a significant difference and really opened the DAP up to its full potential.

May 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #11,725 of 14,755
Hi Guys - Any idea how I could use the ZX2 as a USB DAC? I'd like to connect it to a desktop PC, have it recognised as a USB DAC and stream Spotify. I can't seem to be able to find how to get it to be recognised as a USB DAC as opposed to a USB HDD. 

May 23, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #11,726 of 14,755
Hi Guys - Any idea how I could use the ZX2 as a USB DAC? I'd like to connect it to a desktop PC, have it recognised as a USB DAC and stream Spotify. I can't seem to be able to find how to get it to be recognised as a USB DAC as opposed to a USB HDD. 

I don't think the ZX2 is capable of using as an external USB DAC. Only the AK can i believe

May 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #11,727 of 14,755
I have the ZX2 ( around 300 hrs burn in/listening time) and I have been very happy with it. However, I am trying to recuperate some money to bolster my savings at the moment and was considering selling it.

If anyone is interested on here and gave me a decent offer I would definitely consider selling it.- begrudgingly as I love it! :frowning2:

I have also been using it with a moon audio silver dragon cable for the Shure Se846 IEMs with the TRRS termination, which makes it sound fantastic!. So if someone has the 846s and was looking at the ZX2 I could it all together as a package.

What are other peoples thoughts on the silver dragon cables with TRRS with the ZX2? In my opinion it made a significant difference and really opened the DAP up to its full potential.
I have a silver dragon cable coming in the next week or so for my EI.XX I'm really exited about going TRRS to see what it can bring

May 23, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #11,728 of 14,755

ZX2 cant be used as a dac. There are a number of other daps that can.

May 23, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #11,729 of 14,755
For those familiar with the WM-Port pinouts, do you think the following may be possible?

1. Octopus cable
  2. Line-out to headphone amp
  3. OTG for external storage
  4. Power IN to accept charge

?

Yeah, minimises portability a little, but I use ZX2 stacked with a PHA-3 on the couch or at the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back