SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #14,746 of 14,755
USBAPP can now stream to a UPnP render (in-app purchase) so paired with that free UPnP renderer running on the ZX2 it should work very well for streaming.
Oh WOW.. This is so amazing! thanks for getting the word out.

I'm now streaming Tidal to the ZX2, and since it goes via UPNP Player it is also getting the Parametric EQ and other DSP. That's what I was really missing from a desktop setup - and it sounds so much better than an entry level desktop system.

I might have to cancel the amp I have on order...

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #14,747 of 14,755
Oh WOW.. This is so amazing! thanks for getting the word out.

I'm now streaming Tidal to the ZX2, and since it goes via UPNP Player it is also getting the Parametric EQ and other DSP. That's what I was really missing from a desktop setup - and it sounds so much better than an entry level desktop system.

I might have to cancel the amp I have on order...

Cool! UAPP is such a gem, and in audiophile dollars is more or less free. Other DSP includes MQA decode, if anyone reading this is into that sort of thing. True, the UPnP renderer on ZX2 then sends it through Android audio stack, which resamples it to 44.1, but you do get the benefits of a better, or at least different, mastering. However, look into how UAPP does the decode and what it sends to the renderer. It's also super fun to play with if you have an open source UPnP renderer running on your network, like on a rPi. If you have UAPP "cast" and then turn off bit-perfect casting, it will serve up Tidal MQA with the first unwrap to a dumb renderer.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #14,748 of 14,755
USBAPP is streaming Qobuz very well. I'm still using an APK that the developers sent me a few years ago. It's using the Android Audio driver still as no one knows how to access that Sony DAC directly apparently.
Are you using the upnplay app as renderer on the ZX2? It has an option to use an external app as player. I have used that to open and play on Sony's proprietary music app (but only local content so far). You might be able to use it to play your streamed content on Sony's music app.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #14,749 of 14,755
Just wanted to spin my old NWZX2 again. It did work fine with the stored music. However, it doesn't seem to know that it is connected to WiFi anymore. I can see it is, but the apps left on it, doesn't respond. Google playstore either, so I cannot update anything (the time on the watch was however adjusted, when connected). Any ideas - or is it now really dead for www use? Thanks:triportsad:

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #14,750 of 14,755
Just wanted to spin my old NWZX2 again. It did work fine with the stored music. However, it doesn't seem to know that it is connected to WiFi anymore. I can see it is, but the apps left on it, doesn't respond. Google playstore either, so I cannot update anything (the time on the watch was however adjusted, when connected). Any ideas - or is it now really dead for www use? Thanks:triportsad:

Mine does this too, very aggressive in closing background apps, before Wifi can kick in. I need to use the "Lite" version of apps...... But ultimately it can only be used for offline use via the microSD card.

It runs android cleanly. Turns on fast. Even loads/opens apps quickly, but refuses to keep tasks open. Processing data is another matter though...

I noticed it can't use a big microSD card. It didn't recognize my 1TB card. Had to put my music on some freebie microSD card I had around.

Still gives a great warm sound though! A lil mushy warm and definitely not a high resolution experience. But the same can be said of the wm1z and wm1a, and people love those still. It is really similar.

Just make sure you use a sensitive iem that can get loud easily.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #14,751 of 14,755
If it's not responding anyway, do a factory reset reinstall apps and see what happens.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #14,752 of 14,755
Unfortunately, I lost my ZX2 on a plane a few months ago. My experience, though was similar to yours. I couldn't even make it work properly with Spotify Lite, for instance. I had come to terms with the idea of the ZX2 having become a local-files-only player, the main intended use in my case at any rate.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #14,753 of 14,755
Unfortunately, I lost my ZX2 on a plane a few months ago. My experience, though was similar to yours. I couldn't even make it work properly with Spotify Lite, for instance. I had come to terms with the idea of the ZX2 having become a local-files-only player, the main intended use in my case at any rate.
Thx - I thought so:cry: However, have my 400 Gb micro SD that works fine. And sound is still great. Haven't tested the battery life lately, but I guess if nothing else is running, it should still be OK for a flight or two. (FWIW, Roon Arc has to some extend replaced the need for a DAP. I can now listen to all my music anywhere, either downloaded on the phone or if I have a wifi connection. And then of course some kind of dongle - these days BT with iFi Go Blu):darthsmile:

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #14,754 of 14,755
By some weird miracle I'm still able to run both Qobuz and Spotify. I might have side loaded them though; can't remember. It's been ages since I updated any of the software. I'm also running an old version of UAPP, but as it can't directly access the DAC chip I don't bother most of the time.

I really like the heft of the thing. Aside from being a really cool fidget toy, I use it my desk occasionally with the HD-800 while working. Fixes that treble for me.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #14,755 of 14,755
By some weird miracle I'm still able to run both Qobuz and Spotify. I might have side loaded them though; can't remember. It's been ages since I updated any of the software. I'm also running an old version of UAPP, but as it can't directly access the DAC chip I don't bother most of the time.

I really like the heft of the thing. Aside from being a really cool fidget toy, I use it my desk occasionally with the HD-800 while working. Fixes that treble for me.
No internet works for me anymore. However, I tried yesterday my Sony XM5 in LDAC mode with the NW-ZX2 :) very nice sound. However, it costs battery. I think in 2 hours, I was down to 73% left, but being an iphone guy (i.e. no LDAC) this is (still) a good use case for me :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back