SONY NW-ZX2
May 19, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #11,702 of 14,773
Closer to SE846 than W60.  The K10 is better in every way except the deepest bass articulation.  Other than that, the midrange is less forward and clearer.  Treble has better extension too.  I often joke that the K10 is like the SE1046.  If you like the house sound of shure but want a more sophisticated sound, you will love the K10.  That is my take.

May 19, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #11,703 of 14,773
Have you heard the W60 and SE846?  I have owned them both and they could not be more different.  If you prefer the SE846 but don't want the impedence issues, then look at the K10.  The W60 is good but it's sound is not for everyone.
Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to listen to both. I have a LCD-3 for home use and plan to get a portable gear. From what I heard, W60 seems to have more details on mids and controlled treble. While it is less exciting than SE846, it has a smooth sound for extensive listening. I guess it will be a great compliment earphone from my LCD-3 with a darker sound..
Nevertheless, I'm getting a decent deal of an year old ZX2 + brand new W60 for USD1,125..

May 20, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #11,705 of 14,773
Yes

1/ open enhancement app, and tick DSEE HX or whatever options, don't matter.
2/ go to setting, then apps
3/ swipe left to the end for the tab "all"
4/ scroll down and look for "sound enhancement" app. Select it, disable
5/ confirm

***if you are listening while disabling the app*** turn your volume down....the sound will be 2-3x louder at the same volume level !! Don't blow your ears drums

I believe I get the best juices and quality from ZX2. Now this is true audio quality, and non of the color, software enhancement craps....won't even be possible to EQ, but I doubt you need it if "true, accuracy, realistic, quality" music is what you are chasing for. Assuming why you buy this ZX2 in the first place :D

1/ use TRRS connection whenever possible
2/ have to disable "sound enhancement" apps

This might be a bit late in the game, but FYI this works for the ZX1 too. Many thanks. Saving up for the ZX2 now.

May 20, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #11,706 of 14,773
  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PHA3-PHA-3-Headphone-Black/dp/B00OH82RXO

It dropped almost $2.Now that's cheap 
tongue.gif

......yeah, that nearly swayed me!!!!! Phew, that was close....

May 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #11,707 of 14,773
This might be a bit late in the game, but FYI this works for the ZX1 too. Many thanks. Saving up for the ZX2 now.

That is awesome for you to find it, because it was a while back. I am glad you are enjoying it and yeah, Zx2 used can be had for cheap :D....no "burn-in"....250 hours is not fun lol

May 20, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #11,708 of 14,773
I have a brand new dock/cradle - the SONY Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10  for the ZX2 if any body is interested.  
And a used Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output

May 20, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #11,710 of 14,773
OK, so....I'm at probably 125 hours into my listening time on the ZX2. I've been listening exclusively with my se846 monitors which I basically purchased at the same time. On first listening to music (any music, lossy, lossless, mp3s, 16 bit, 24bit, 192kbps, etc) the ZX2 made everything sound incredible. In the last 10 hours or so it feels like all music sounds very flat. It also feels like the low frequency listening has taken a massive dump. It almost feels like I'm listening to my alarm clock radio. Is this what I should be expecting during the "break in" period? Any input would be appreciated. It actually has me pretty worried, like something is not functioning correctly. I changed out the filters in the IEMs and tried messing with the eq. I was hoping for something/anything but nothing has worked. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just breaking in, but how can something sound so horrible after being awesome for the last 6 weeks. Your input is appreciated.

Chet

May 21, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #11,711 of 14,773
Or do you j
OK, so....I'm at probably 125 hours into my listening time on the ZX2. I've been listening exclusively with my se846 monitors which I basically purchased at the same time. On first listening to music (any music, lossy, lossless, mp3s, 16 bit, 24bit, 192kbps, etc) the ZX2 made everything sound incredible. In the last 10 hours or so it feels like all music sounds very flat. It also feels like the low frequency listening has taken a massive dump. It almost feels like I'm listening to my alarm clock radio. Is this what I should be expecting during the "break in" period? Any input would be appreciated. It actually has me pretty worried, like something is not functioning correctly. I changed out the filters in the IEMs and tried messing with the eq. I was hoping for something/anything but nothing has worked. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just breaking in, but how can something sound so horrible after being awesome for the last 6 weeks. Your input is appreciated.

Chet
Or did you just get used to the nice sound?

May 21, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #11,712 of 14,773
Lol, I suppose I just expect the phenomenal sound everytime now. but why so dramatic in the last couple days of listening? I'm gonna plug in the IEMs and just let the player run over a long period of time and see what happens. I hope I'm not getting bored already.

May 21, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #11,714 of 14,773
Lol, I suppose I just expect the phenomenal sound everytime now. but why so dramatic in the last couple days of listening? I'm gonna plug in the IEMs and just let the player run over a long period of time and see what happens. I hope I'm not getting bored already.

250 hours is the burn-in requirement from Zx2....and not 100 hours stated by Sony! Unless, your capacitors are physically burned

May 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,715 of 14,773
Just want to report that, for those of you who have compatibility issues using ZX2 otg out or with ZX2 dock usb out.
I bought a Elfidelity USB thruster today, and somehow, the USB out of my NWH10 dock now works with my digital interface (MX-U8), which previously didn't work.
I have no idea why a USB decrapifier fixed the compatibility issue, but it was a very cheap fix considering that it only cost me $30. Don't know if other more expensive decrapifiers work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back