SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #9,421 of 14,755
With the wrong matching iem's or headphones this ZX2 sounds flat and lifeless.
It's when you find that match I promise your jaw will drop, (it's an engaging musical experience) I am still flat out enjoying this ZX2 beast, and don't think that will change any time soon.
I think you need to find that match, so far I can only vouch for the UE900, with TRRS update cable can do magic from the gear I own. My next purchase will be TOTL iem's, as long as I know it's a sure thing I'll buy it.

I will not buy expensive iem's now without testing them on the ZX2.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #9,422 of 14,755
And I really like the clear bass and leave it on 6, take 400hz +1, and 16k +1.
And the UE900 sing with great bass thanks to clear bass, also do the pin hole mod on the UE900 to those who own them, this gives them spot on tuning, which they don't have in the stock form, unfortunately.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #9,423 of 14,755
Man, I still see people taking the manufacturer tuning to their heart as it would be the best...lol. I don't know what to say, but other than that manufacturers tune to the mass of specific groups, bass, mid, clarity, trebles folks ? People who love to have perfect sounding from their own gears would have to mod them accordingly. I am a big DIY fan, just as long as you know how and what your taste is.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #9,424 of 14,755
Yeah and the ZX2 EQ works so well, it would be a shame to be a purist and let it sit idle.
It works so well on the Onkyo player with such a nice top clear top end, I thank Onkyo for making this available for the ZX2, even If they refuse to implement folder browsing.

This may motavate Sony to fix their software player (wishful thinking maybe).

I think the sound of Onkyo player is better, and use it instead now. Isn't it bizarre, and almost disgraceful that it took Onkyo to write the software, for Sony's top of the line player to sound this brilliant. (I believe they where waiting for the ZX3 to make it sound this nice.)

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #9,425 of 14,755
Yeah and the ZX2 EQ works so well, it would be a shame to be a purist and let it sit idle.
It works so well on the Onkyo player with such a nice top clear top end, I thank Onkyo for making this available for the ZX2, even I'd they refuse to implement folder browsing.

This may motavate Sony to fix their software player (wishful thinking maybe).

I think the sound of Onkyo player is better, and use it instead now. Isn't it bizarre, and almost disgraceful that it took Onkyo to write the software, for Sony's top of the line player to sound this brilliant. (I believe they where waiting for the ZX3 to make it sound this nice.)

It is the biggest "irony" of all lol, and yes, Onkyo app with Sony sound adjustment have the most wonderful EQ ability. To the purist I can recommend "gone Mad" app which was found by pedroes!

It is the thing that I dislike most, if anyone use stock Sony app, they have to disable the sound adjustment app...it has been so long now that I have not touched it lol

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #9,426 of 14,755
It is the biggest "irony" of all lol, and yes, Onkyo app with Sony sound adjustment have the most wonderful EQ ability. To the purist I can recommend "gone Mad" app which was found by pedroes!

It is the thing that I dislike most, if anyone use stock Sony app, they have to disable the sound adjustment app...it has been so long now that I have not touched it lol

It's been weeks I haven't touched the Sony app, and last time I did I quickly closed it. LOL

But seriously if your reading this Sony people, "please fix this problem" asap, this isn't good for your reputation, having Onkyo come to the rescue, and showing us how the whole top end is muddled up because of your audio processing rubbish.

Unless they can't get the Onkyo DAP to sound this good?

Don't think it will have the raw emotions of this ZX2.

Which I don't know, I nearly bought it, but 10hrs run time won't be enough now, no way, not after having more than 30 hours runtime from this beast.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #9,427 of 14,755

As long as you don't turn the ZX2 of the disabling of sound adjustment app is a one time only thing and at least on an EU unit it gives a lot more volume at the lower end of the scale so you avoid the annoying EU nanny state warning and limiter

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #9,428 of 14,755
As long as you don't turn the ZX2 of the disabling of sound adjustment app is a one time only thing and at least on an EU unit it gives a lot more volume at the lower end of the scale so you avoid the annoying EU nanny state warning and limiter

Maybe try the normalising on, but use the Onkyo app, this boosts the volume as Whitigirl discovered, but gives the ability to use the stock clear bass and EQ.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #9,429 of 14,755
I briefly tried Onkyo and Gonemad but didn't find they gave me anything much over the stock player with sound adjustment app turned off so decided just to stick with stock

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #9,430 of 14,755
I disable everything on the ZX2. I find the sound extremely enjoyable and transparent. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #9,431 of 14,755
the great thing with ZX2 , is that we  can modify the preferred sound to our...well preferences 
tongue.gif

i prefer to disable all stock sound enhancements apps and use Gonemad player for flat sound and i also use Onkyo player for a more 'full' sound (and i have not touch its EQ, which seems really outstanding 
eek.gif
 ) , someone else may prefer the stock player and so on

what everyone should do though , regardless of which player/sound app he chooses , would be to utilize the TRRS option - i used to think that cables were a snakeoil thing , not so sure anymore 
gs1000.gif

btw has anyone used the Rhapsodio Solar with his ZX2 in TRRS mode? trying to gather money to get it , it seems like quite a beast combo 
rolleyes.gif

I also wanna try the NT6/se5 ult but money money money 
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #9,433 of 14,755
Just shipped out the FiiO X7 today and the ZX2 is harmonically richer in tones with noticeably better soundstage depth & width on both IEMS, easy to drive phones, as well as the HD800 (albeit at lower listening volume compared to the X7). I still think the ZX2 is top class for CIEMs and easy to drive phones as it was able to compare well to even the Questyle QP1R.  Our beloved Sonydid loose out on the volume output on difficult to drive phones.  I need to disable the DSP and see what you guys are talking about.  I did that on my ZX1 couple of times and did enjoy higher volume output at the expense of slightly harsh sound.  What's your guys take on turning it off?

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9,434 of 14,755
Just shipped out the FiiO X7 today and the ZX2 is harmonically richer in tones with noticeably better soundstage depth & width on both IEMS, easy to drive phones, as well as the HD800 (albeit at lower listening volume compared to the X7). I still think the ZX2 is top class for CIEMs and easy to drive phones as it was able to compare well to even the Questyle QP1R.  Our beloved Sonydid loose out on the volume output on difficult to drive phones.  I need to disable the DSP and see what you guys are talking about.  I did that on my ZX1 couple of times and did enjoy higher volume output at the expense of slightly harsh sound.  What's your guys take on turning it off?

Here you go :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8280#post_12001118

On top of that, Onkyo hf player app and gone mad player app are both excellent player app for zx2....ironically much better than Sony stock player :D

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #9,435 of 14,755
Here you go
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8280#post_12001118

On top of that, Onkyo hf player app and gone mad player app are both excellent player app for zx2....ironically much better than Sony stock player
biggrin.gif

Thanks.  I'll give it a try this week.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back