SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9,302 of 14,755
I have to say, OMG! lol. Am listening to newly downloaded "Jazz at the pawn shop" album. What have I been missing all of my life? I'm 46, locked into 90's dance and EDM music and couldn't get my head out of it. Then I've gone literally years with only listening to music on the odd occasion and not more than like 20 mins per time.
Now I have clean ears (wax problem solved) and the NW-ZX2 with SE425's, my listening has finally awoken! I cannot put this thing down.
Music has come 'alive' to me now. This Jazz, The Piano Guys 2, Tracy Chapman, Madonna are just some superb tracks to listen to, however this jazz is something else. To think it will get possibly even better as both my IEM and ZX are burn in! :)
Am glad I got the Amazon deal on the ZX2, it is just simply stunning. Next on my list are CIEM, if I can find a good enough ear impression place in the UK I can actually get to. :wink:
Have a great musical weekend all! 
Rich.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #9,303 of 14,755
The app menu is that little icon with 6 dots near the bottom of the player, if you swipe through the icon's you will see the sound adjust icon, if you hold on to it, the shortcut to home screen will come up, drop it where it's needed.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for that. Sorted ! ( I think I have a bit of OCD ! ? )

At least now, I can switch from taking the sound adjustment app off, to on, knowing I can put the icon back on the home screen.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #9,304 of 14,755
Don't worry to much about that, OCD seems to be the normal around these parts. (I put my obsessions to good use)

I like the sound app and leave it on, it's the central EQ for all apps.

The clear bass is very affective, and gives me that full range bass a push forward if you like that kind of thing.
But doesn't completely mess up the rest of the audio spectrum to badly.

Which is quite a task for an equaliser on any DAP.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #9,305 of 14,755
Don't worry to much about that, OCD seems to be the normal around these parts. (I put my obsessions to good use)

I like the sound app and leave it on, it's the central EQ for all apps.

The clear bass is very affective, and gives me that full range bass a push forward if you like that kind of thing.
But doesn't completely mess up the rest of the audio spectrum to badly.

Which is quite a task for an equaliser on any DAP.

I'm undecided whether I prefer it off, or on ? Got it back on at present. When I alter things, ( constantly ) I just become even more analytical ! ( & undecided )

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #9,306 of 14,755
I'm undecided whether I prefer it off, or on ? Got it back on at present. When I alter things, ( constantly ) I just become even more analytical ! ( & undecided )

It gets confusing at first, it took me a good 4-5 months before I figured out why and what going on. Beside, you do really need a good revealing pair of gear to realize it

But like what AudioXxx said. If you use it with gone mad or Onkyo hf player, leave it on, because you can use Sony technologies with other apps which sounds even better than Sony own app.....the irony, I am telling you.

The only thing that I prefer on is DSEEHX. I don't like too much bass, so I don't use the clear bass or equalizer, but you can use all of them while using gone mad and or Onkyo hf. DSEEHX does really show better "nuances trebles details and extensions"

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #9,307 of 14,755
It gets confusing at first, it took me a good 4-5 months before I figured out why and what going on. Beside, you do really need a good revealing pair of gear to realize it

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with the sound app off. I'd say louder, deeper bass, regardless of the app being on or off, I think perception has a lot to do with the quality of the recording, & how well a album was mixed / produced.
Agree that I very likely will like even more, with the right gear....but then again, which is the right gear ! ??

( I've just taken the sound adjustment off, again ! ) 

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #9,308 of 14,755
Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with the sound app off. I'd say louder, deeper bass, regardless of the app being on or off, I think perception has a lot to do with the quality of the recording, & how well a album was mixed / produced.
Agree that I very likely will like even more, with the right gear....but then again, which is the right gear ! ??

( I've just taken the sound adjustment off, again ! ) 

Lol the last question is the "forever quest that every and each head-fi member is seeking out". Unfortunately, that can only be answered by you :D

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #9,309 of 14,755
Lol the last question is the "forever quest that every and each head-fi member is seeking out". Unfortunately, that can only be answered by you
biggrin.gif

Yes, & unfortunately I can't audition anything, ( housebound ) so I have to make my decisions on feedback / reviews, and then inevitably buy something that I'm not 100% happy with. ( I'm pleased with my ZX2 purchase though, but I wouldn't have paid £950 for it ! )

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #9,310 of 14,755
Yes, & unfortunately I can't audition anything, ( housebound ) so I have to make my decisions on feedback / reviews, and then inevitably buy something that I'm not 100% happy with. ( I'm pleased with my ZX2 purchase though, but I wouldn't have paid £950 for it ! )

Did you have any TRRS cables yet ? Don't worry about cables upgrade, even regular cable with TRRS will show you improvements. Just get something with removable cables. Then find some cheap places that make cheap TRRS cables. Lunashop isn't one of them, and you will hear the differences. I could only hear all of the nuances details and changes with the sound adjustment app disable or enable...etc by using TRRS , and my good gears. With all that said, TRRS does give out much better soundstage with even more details

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #9,311 of 14,755
Did you have any TRRS cables yet ? Don't worry about cables upgrade, even regular cable with TRRS will show you improvements. Just get something with removable cables. Then find some cheap places that make cheap TRRS cables. Lunashop isn't one of them, and you will hear the differences. I could only hear all of the nuances details and changes with the sound adjustment app disable or enable...etc by using TRRS , and my good gears. With all that said, TRRS does give out much better soundstage with even more details

I'm not sure what I should be looking for ? ( As someone else posed the same question. ) Can I buy a TRRS cable for Sony MDR-1RNC headphones. for instance ? ( I'm in the U.K. )

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #9,312 of 14,755
I'm not sure what I should be looking for ? ( As someone else posed the same question. ) Can I buy a TRRS cable for Sony MDR-1RNC headphones. for instance ? ( I'm in the U.K. )

I don't think that you can, I don't know exactly as I don't have it. But let me use MDR 1abt for a very close example. But the basic first

1/ TRRS is balanced connection, it mean each driver on the headphones need it own ground and hot wire.
2/ usually headphones with only 1 jack on either side of the cups only has 3 terminals. Eventhough each driver always has a hot-ground. But they will be joined in conjunction to be 1 common ground and 2 positives (each for a driver). MDR 1A, MDR 1abt, MDR 1rnc for example. However MDR-1A, Sony does not use common ground, but instead they used separate ground into this one female TRRS jack, and yes...it is balanced.....But! MDR 1aBT....only use normal TRS and no balanced out in single jack. I asked Sony, and they said it is because due to the built-in circuitry. I assumed that your 1RNC is the same, but you may want to contact Sony to make sure, or try it yourself ?
3/ it is best to get gears with separate wires to each channels, or removable cables on each cup....for example MDR z7 ? Or the special MDR-1A. There is audio technica ath-im50/70/01-04, and they are all using removable cables :D good place to start out

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #9,313 of 14,755
someone just bought rhapsodio solar (this iem is like k10, only better) with TRRS cable termination 
L3000.gif

wonder how good this setup is gonna be 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #9,314 of 14,755
Went and splurged and ordered the original Sony flip case from Japan. Too expensive but it really is great and I plan to keep this baby for a long time. Use it with JH13 wired with Whiplash TWau terminated with trrs and a 200GB card. Lovely rig for my over 150 nights away from home per year.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #9,315 of 14,755
I don't think that you can, I don't know exactly as I don't have it. But let me use MDR 1abt for a very close example. But the basic first

1/ TRRS is balanced connection, it mean each driver on the headphones need it own ground and hot wire.
2/ usually headphones with only 1 jack on either side of the cups only has 3 terminals. Eventhough each driver always has a hot-ground. But they will be joined in conjunction to be 1 common ground and 2 positives (each for a driver). MDR 1A, MDR 1abt, MDR 1rnc for example. However MDR-1A, Sony does not use common ground, but instead they used separate ground into this one female TRRS jack, and yes...it is balanced.....But! MDR 1aBT....only use normal TRS and no balanced out in single jack. I asked Sony, and they said it is because due to the built-in circuitry. I assumed that your 1RNC is the same, but you may want to contact Sony to make sure, or try it yourself ?
3/ it is best to get gears with separate wires to each channels, or removable cables on each cup....for example MDR z7 ? Or the special MDR-1A. There is audio technica ath-im50/70/01-04, and they are all using removable cables
biggrin.gif
good place to start out

Yes, I guessed that would be the case. I can't really afford the Z7's ( Well not anytime soon ! ) Would you then need a Sony PHA-3 ? Does the Oppo PM3's have separate channels, removable cables ? ( I know the Senn HD650's do. )
I may ring Sony & enquire...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back