SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #9,406 of 14,755
I am still very much in love with the ZX2, it is made even more loveable with TRRS connection.
I love to look at it sometimes just sitting there beside me, I always listen to what it has to say, and I am not ashamed to  take it to bed with me.
It is a pleasure to just hold and feel it.....
I love it and love no other .....Its like a perfect wife :)

Same here, and it TRRS is that magical that I had all of my headphones converted to it ....roflmao....my newest addition is fostex th900!

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #9,407 of 14,755
The ZX2 sounds good also without TRRS , if you have iem with clarity - my K3003 is having a great synergy

the Gonemad player is also another good addition to making the sound even more crystal clear 
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #9,408 of 14,755
I'm currently using Onkyo player. Got Gonemad too but seem to stick with Onkyo. I can't tell any difference between them. Lol

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #9,409 of 14,755
  The ZX2 sounds good also without TRRS , if you have iem with clarity - my K3003 is having a great synergy

the Gonemad player is also another good addition to making the sound even more crystal clear 
wink.gif

Sounds fantastic without TRRS it's true.
But sublime with it 
L3000.gif

I actually tried Gonemad before I had the game changing TRRS cable made, (because what I read in here makes me do things against my will LOL). I tried it maybe less than it deserved , mainly because I had gotten used to the built in Sony app. There was something about the interface that bugged me as well.
Then I left it alone and when I looked to try it again my free trial had run out 
frown.gif

You certainly love your Gonemad though, and I am sure that if tweaked with there is a benefit to be had in SQ.

I am just too set in my ways and so happy that I never wasted any money getting TRRS cable.

I reckon whatever the headphones, provided they are decent quality, (and maybe even if they are not), TRRS takes something lovely and transforms it to a higher state. This can possess a man to the point that nothing else will do LOL

There is empirical evidence of this.

the evidence is Whitigr hahahahha

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #9,412 of 14,755
I'm perfectly happy with the stock player and soun effects app disabled and since I never turn the player of it is no hassle

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #9,413 of 14,755
No piece of equipment becomes worse just because new gadgets come to market

is like my dad thinks 24-bit is better than his old CDs, nope there are junk-astic 24-bit files and there are wonderful CD FLACs as do visceversa

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #9,414 of 14,755
  Like this one I use to connect to my Hugo?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I didn't make it anyway,that's for sure..
biggrin.gif
It was made specifically for the zx2..

Right. Something like that. I don't suppose you have a link? I have the Sony digital cable (WMC-NWH10), and have used it with generic (cell phone type cable) to connect with desktop equipment on occasion. And it sounds quite good this way, but I was thinking to pick up a more 'purpose built' (better for audio) USB cable to connect to a MOJO, and figured it would be better to get a cable that has a lower profile for mobile use. I would prefer using one cable, rather than two, as the Sony cable requires.

On a follow up e-mail with Drew Baird (Moon Audio), he mentioned how he doesn't know which 'pins' he would need to connect on the Sony plug, and he doesn't have any Sony equipment around to test. Which makes me think that perhaps he'd consider making a cable if he knew the schematics and stuff. Anyone know where these could be located?

I enjoy my Sony player, but it hasn't kept me from trying out different headphones (including trrs) and such, and I'm keen to check out the MOJO. And reading through the MOJO threads, it looks like different connections and cables produce varying results, so I want to start with a good cable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #9,415 of 14,755

Right. Something like that. I don't suppose you have a link? I have the Sony digital cable (WMC-NWH10), and have used it with generic (cell phone type cable) to connect with desktop equipment on occasion. And it sounds quite good this way, but I was thinking to pick up a more 'purpose built' (better for audio) USB cable to connect to a MOJO, and figured it would be better to get a cable that has a lower profile for mobile use. I would prefer using one cable, rather than two, as the Sony cable requires.

On a follow up e-mail with Drew Baird (Moon Audio), he mentioned how he doesn't know which 'pins' he would need to connect on the Sony plug, and he doesn't have any Sony equipment around to test. Which makes me think that perhaps he'd consider making a cable if he knew the schematics and stuff. Anyone know where these could be located?

I enjoy my Sony player, but it hasn't kept me from trying out different headphones (including trrs) and such, and I'm keen to check out the MOJO. And reading through the MOJO threads, it looks like different connections and cables produce varying results, so I want to start with a good cable.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.mzTkyu&id=43084783747&_u=d2bssp080f2f

I bought it from the above shop..Ive attached a better picture of mine below

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #9,416 of 14,755
Hi All,

my first post here and perhaps not very meaningful  :frowning2:

I am using the ZX2 for a few months now after switching from ZX1. Worlds apart, those two devices. I am fortunate enough to have a lovely Japanese wife, so I can get all my toys sent from
Japan directly.

I love the ZX2, however I still face some issues with the side buttons not responding at times. Also really weird, when I use the stock player, I can listen to most of my stuff fine, but when I stop
play back with the side button, Tidal pops up and starts playing. If I used Onkyo HF or Neutron prior to the stock player, then they will start playing instead.

I remember reading here that someone had this issue and it went away, but I cannot resolve it without removing Tidal and third party players. Weird things. 

As I am rather new to this, I also wanted to ask what is the point of playing 5.6MHz and 11.2MHz DSD files? I know the ZX2 stock player can only go as far as 5.6, but Onkyo HF does play my 11.2MHz. However, it appears to me that with increase in MHz the volume decreases. 

Emi Todoroki-Schwartz just sounds amazing in 11.2MHz, but that might just be my brain fooling me. http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/grml006/

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #9,418 of 14,755
Which of the ak models can be compared to the zx2 in terms of sound quality?. (ak100ii,120ii,or 240)

See in Steve homepage

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0215/Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review_Noble_Kaiser_K10.htm

It isn't easy to match zx2 with the correct gear, and apps. It is an excellent piece of portable devices. I have successfully used it with even full-sized headphones (Sony, fostex) and zx2 being my only source for them. They sound superbly good. Mine is Japan version

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #9,419 of 14,755
I previewed this thing at my local Yodobashi Camera and thought it sounded quite flat. I don't know if that's just the high quality "reference" sound it outputs or if the demo tracks were just low quality, but I preferred the musical sound of the NW-A25 more. 

What do you guys think? Do you use EQ?

I was using my Dream Earz AUD-7X, which tends to have a darker sound, reminiscent of the LCD-2. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #9,420 of 14,755
I previewed this thing at my local Yodobashi Camera and thought it sounded quite flat. I don't know if that's just the high quality "reference" sound it outputs or if the demo tracks were just low quality, but I preferred the musical sound of the NW-A25 more. 

What do you guys think? Do you use EQ?

I never used EQ, and the ZX2 ofcourse is not as nearly flat as you would think. It is very warm and musical, both coming from the density or inner fidelity of each single individual, and the warmer feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back