SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #9,376 of 14,755
I love how the onkyo af app sound. But I'm using the free one. Just want to ask those who have bought the premium version. Does it have any extra features apart from USB dac functionality and dsd playback. Those are not necessary to me right now.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #9,377 of 14,755
I love how the onkyo af app sound. But I'm using the free one. Just want to ask those who have bought the premium version. Does it have any extra features apart from USB dac functionality and dsd playback. Those are not necessary to me right now.

I use the free one, and I think paid one has digital connection to external amp devices. Remember the trick though

1/ play the loudest track in the collection
2/ open sound adjustment app
3/ tick dynamic normalizer
It will raise the volume of the player to be louder than normal, and still of good quality :) kind of like and automatically pre-amp adjustment.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #9,378 of 14,755

I use the free one, and I think paid one has digital connection to external amp devices. Remember the trick though

1/ play the loudest track in the collection
2/ open sound adjustment app
3/ tick dynamic normalizer
It will raise the volume of the player to be louder than normal, and still of good quality
smily_headphones1.gif
kind of like and automatically pre-amp adjustment.

LOL what if you have loaded 20K FLACs on it or what if you'll like to know which track from your massive library is the loudest
biggrin.gif
? assumming a big lib of 45,000+ tracks

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #9,380 of 14,755
  Does the Android Apple Music app work on the ZX2? Noticed that it requires Android 4.3 and up, but the ZX2 is Android 4.2.

Any news also if Sony will update the ZX2 to v5 andriod?

you mean android lollipop? the one problem for lollipop and above is the battery consumption while idle. 4.2.2 on ZX2 seem to help it maintain a low power consumption during standby....one single charge on my zx2 can last for at least 6 days with 60-80 mins play time per day...

i try x7..it can only last max 3 days :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #9,381 of 14,755
One full charge lasts me a week with about 3-4 hours play back per day

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #9,382 of 14,755
Have any of you had problems removing a SD card ? I can't remove a card & it looks like it's gone too far in..is that possible ?
Any thought's on how to get it out, would be much appreciated !

SORRY, I AM LOSING THE PLOT !!! ( Turns out there wasn't a card inserted in the first place ! ) I think i'll go back to bed.....

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #9,384 of 14,755
Hey guys. I came across these measurements of the NW-ZX2 on a Chinese website. What do you guys think? 

1st graph with all sound enhancement effects OFF.
2nd graph with DSEE HX ON.
3rd graph with Clear Audio+ ON.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #9,385 of 14,755
I just received today a cable made by Moon Audio , silver dragon with TRRS and I must confess I did not expect the dramatic difference to the SQ that I am now revelling in.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

The cable with shipping was around £150.
smile_phones.gif

It was easy.
Told them cable was for Shure 846 and should be terminated TRRS for Sony, got the right angle one.

The sound is so much better than before I can hardly believe it! 
k701smile.gif

Whether it is the cable or the TRRS connection or a bit of both I have no idea.
atsmile.gif

If you have been considering this upgrade for the ZX2, and like me was sceptical about the value of it, don't be, it is brilliant 
L3000.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #9,386 of 14,755
I just received today a cable made by Moon Audio , silver dragon with TRRS and I must confess I did not expect the dramatic difference to the SQ that I am now revelling in.:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:
The cable with shipping was around £150.:smile_phones:
It was easy.
Told them cable was for Shure 846 and should be terminated TRRS for Sony, got the right angle one.

The sound is so much better than before I can hardly believe it! :k701smile:
Whether it is the cable or the TRRS connection or a bit of both I have no idea.:atsmile:

If you have been considering this upgrade for the ZX2, and like me was sceptical about the value of it, don't be, it is brilliant :L3000:  

Great! I couldn't stretch it enough. Zx2 sings with TRRS. Cables quality does improve the sound as well :wink:. Sad to see many others look down on zx2 without giving TRRS a chance.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #9,387 of 14,755
  Hey guys. I came across these measurements of the NW-ZX2 on a Chinese website. What do you guys think? 

1st graph with all sound enhancement effects OFF.
2nd graph with DSEE HX ON.
3rd graph with Clear Audio+ ON.

Looks like they were taken directly from the DAC stage  and frozen. I sa a youtube Vid how DAC esp switching amplifers, work by doing these wave at very very high frewuencies and they dude zoomed in an out in the oscilloscope and the wave turned from square wave like those ones in the first and second graph to smaller and smaller and as he xoomed out you could see the sine wabe forming..... surely the last one ClearAudio´looks preety anormal like heavi dstortion

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #9,388 of 14,755
Whitigr,

I should probably thank you personally for kinda convincing me.
I never really believed that the difference could be so huge!!

You certainly champion the cause and I am a total convert.
I thought the Sony sounded great before and obviously headphones have a huge impact on the sound just as speakers do in all normal hifi.
But the TRRS and wire from Moon Audio is like a massive upgrade and a no brainer once you have heard it.

So a nice big personal thankyou to you Whitigr, 
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #9,389 of 14,755
  I just received today a cable made by Moon Audio , silver dragon with TRRS and I must confess I did not expect the dramatic difference to the SQ that I am now revelling in.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

The cable with shipping was around £150.
smile_phones.gif

It was easy.

The sound is so much better than before I can hardly believe it! 
k701smile.gif

Whether it is the cable or the TRRS connection or a bit of both I have no idea.
atsmile.gif

If you have been considering this upgrade for the ZX2, and like me was sceptical about the value of it, don't be, it is brilliant 
L3000.gif

i have the exact cable (the 2-pin version) and yes it is ******* great.

+1 from me.

btw , you should try also the gonemad player , i think @Whitigir  is also a big fan of it 
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #9,390 of 14,755
Whitigr,

I should probably thank you personally for kinda convincing me.
I never really believed that the difference could be so huge!!

You certainly champion the cause and I am a total convert.
I thought the Sony sounded great before and obviously headphones have a huge impact on the sound just as speakers do in all normal hifi.
But the TRRS and wire from Moon Audio is like a massive upgrade and a no brainer once you have heard it.

So a nice big personal thankyou to you Whitigr, :beerchug:

I am glad you like it ! Thank you for your kind words.

i have the exact cable (the 2-pin version) and yes it is ******* great.

+1 from me.

btw , you should try also the gonemad player , i think @Whitigir
  is also a big fan of it :p

Yes, I am a huge fan of "gone mad" player. Especially, you can fully utilize the "sound adjustment app" while having the gone mad to play quality music on zx2. Definitely try it out "free trial" and judge for yourself :D. Thanks to Proedros for discovering it. You can also try "Onkyo hf player" app. But to me, I like gone mad app better. Only bad thing is the gone mad sometimes doesn't respond to side buttons .....:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back