SONY NW-ZX2
Dec 7, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #9,361 of 14,755
Well I'm assuming you're only running them off the ZX2, and are not connecting them to a PHA-3. In that case you want a 3.5mm TRRS balanced for Sony ZX2 termination, and a Noble type IEM (which is 2-pin).

If by any chance you have a Sony PHA-3 connected to the ZX2 as well, then you might go for the dual 3.5mm termination, but doesn't seem like you do.

That is the problem with balanced, there is not one standard but at least 5 or 6 diffrent termination types

2,5 mm trrs
3,5 mm trrs
Dual 3,5 mm trs
Kobicon
Hirose
A variety of xlr terminations

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #9,363 of 14,755
That is the problem with balanced, there is not one standard but at least 5 or 6 diffrent termination types

Luckily for us here, there is only one balanced connector for the ZX2 :p

EDIT: I have recently committed to the Audeze-style mini XLR plugs for my headphones, having my Fostex TH-X00 modded to have a removable upgrade cable with this termination as well. Would be good if we have a single standard, but that's not gonna happen

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #9,364 of 14,755

EDIT: I have recently committed to the Audeze-style mini XLR plugs for my headphones, having my Fostex TH-X00 modded to have a removable upgrade cable with this termination as well. Would be good if we have a single standard, but that's not gonna happen

Yep. All my phones were terminated in Kobicon and I then have a number of pig tails for other connectors. I've just reterminated my JH13 cable to 3,5 mm trrs as they will almist exclusively be used with ZX2

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #9,365 of 14,755

Mini xlr will be pig-tail style on thx00. Unless the cup is drilled in. I prefer pigtails as it can be stylish and more room to easily move around.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #9,368 of 14,755
This is Sony's own diagram

It's R0 and L0 not R- and L- as there is no invertor just seperate ground

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9,369 of 14,755
Yes, that is the correct pin outs for the ZX2 TRRS output.

This is Sony's own diagram

It's R0 and L0 not R- and L- as there is no invertor just seperate ground

Hey thks mates. This official diagram says it all, but I wonder if there would be any differences if the LGND & RGND are switch? Meaning LGND on the plug is connected to the headphone jack RGND, & vice versa...

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #9,370 of 14,755
Hey thks mates. This official diagram says it all, but I wonder if there would be any differences if the LGND & RGND are switch? Meaning LGND on the plug is connected to the headphone jack RGND, & vice versa...

No follow your initial diagram, it's correct, right whatever you want to call it negative/neutral/ground is the sleeve.
:beers:

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #9,372 of 14,755
No follow your initial diagram, it's correct, right whatever you want to call it negative/neutral/ground is the sleeve.
:beers:

Alright, thank you for clarifying my question mate. I was thinking the 1st diagram should be correct since both L & R channel ground is separated, so they should be labelled clearly with regards to their position on the plug.

There would be no sound when you cross LG and RG

Thank you my friend, that makes sense.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #9,374 of 14,755
  Does the Android Apple Music app work on the ZX2? Noticed that it requires Android 4.3 and up, but the ZX2 is Android 4.2.

Any news also if Sony will update the ZX2 to v5 andriod?

No ,it won't.  There hasn't been any updates since last February so don't put hope into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back