SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #30,511 of 45,723
I agree with all you said. It is about that digital noise as a result of power circuits and processor and memory banks electrical states, which are in constant change. So the same song, played uninterruptedly in a infinite loop in the same system can have different "micro" noise traces. Then you add other factors like the power outlet you use at home when you did that test, or what appliances were in use at your home when you were listening... or if you live in a unit in the city or condo in suburbia, if it was pick hour or mid night, or if you changed your listening position, or the position of your headphones (we don't need to mention tinnitus and other health factors) or audio formats, or filters or cables or DAC's etc. Soo many variables that for my own sake, I just accept that the quality I hear from my systems a given time is the best one I can get at that moment, so I can just enjoy the experience and get into the music.

For me much of it was curiosity. Getting Foobar2000 going in 2011........... then hearing timing issues, which then were improved by going WASABI? And then it was like wait? What! There is a hole in this theory of 1s and 0s!

At the same time I have to laugh at some of the expensive and now dated cable improvements I’ve gone and purchased. Finally, where I live we have some power regulators mounted on the electrical poles. So now my surge protectors are showing clean or cleaner power. So now I can break out my crazy power cables. In my situation it would be better to actually have a power regenerator but I’m not buying one. Many have this belief it’s the cable simply exiting from the wall to the amp. So now I’m using my laughingstock :) giant best power cable. Probably the most ridiculous thing? But it opens up the sound stage and smooths out everything too...............adding separation. It’s small internal balloons and pure gold foil conductors. E665F11B-270E-4F57-B497-E8EF102FFC86.jpeg

Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord

And

Electra Glide Audio Epiphany MK2 Power Cord

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #30,512 of 45,723
that is correct , timing issues and the algorithms to convert the info. The DMP-Z1 was built to maximize the timing precision’s of the modern digital devices. Same as WM-1Z and WM-1A. However, there are differences in S-Master and AKM IC in both of those.

never the less, only Sony that has been catering toward digital timing precision this whole time, since NW ZX1 , ZX2, now ZX507...etc. The rest of the other so called DAP is just straight up General Electric engineering with off the shelves parts. Honestly, if 1A or 1Z had more power....

My docking station came together due to listening to your suggestions. Though my budget doesn’t allow the DMP-Z1. So I’m left here eternally grateful basically listening to your old system! Haha.

I needed reinforcement (at the time...from you) that it would better computer audio and it does.....even though essentially the 1A and 1Z ARE computers. :)

You convinced me on both the dock and AQ Carbon USB. Still like the sound!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #30,514 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/nc8000.54845/

Audiophiles can be very susceptible to various bit-rate and digital playback configurations. It’s not fully understood why or how? Much could be expectation bias, where a standard set of beliefs will have the human mind confirm psychologically that it “hears” the process effects better. The timing in this case could effect what is heard. IMO.....meaning that it could be there as a difference or it could be just believed to be there.

I don’t hear any format differences but do hear betterment from files above 16/44.1 in some cases........ specificity cases with good mastering. Also I absolutely believe I hear a difference using the 1A and 1Z playback USB audio into the TA amp over using a computer for USB audio. Before I started using the 1A and 1Z I always used 16/44.1 from a CD transport....spinning actual CDs........ and always felt I could hear it as superior over computer generated USB to a DAC. If it’s simply processing or what....... but the 1A/1Z is also vastly superior now to using RCA Digital coaxial into the TA amp from a CD transport too. So having folks believe Wave files are sounding different in the end can be a very viable truth for the audiophile. It’s absolutely not simply 1 and 0s in the end but other sonic changes due to the process. Much of this phenomena can be outside the field of measurement. The results can affect what the listener believes he hears for years on end. This is a difficult subject to test or confirm to be real.....but basically what is “real” for the mind, is truly real.

There is an entire sub audiophile industry based on reducing digital “noise”. So folks with different USB cables, small jitter reducing USB purification-filters and such are a big part of our industry with millions spent every year. Timing issues and digital noise issues are at the heart of what people think they hear better.....when purchasing a different DAC. Really when you look at it, wanting a specific audio file format seems normal with this style of thinking. If all 1s and 0s sounded the same then all DACs would sound the same, when obviously it’s more, and not just the analog preamp section, or decoding chip selection. IMO
You've summed the issue up extremely well.Some things,especially to do with the brains reception and perception of sound,defy logic,in this case 1s and 0s.I looked into this issue some years back,and my ears made a clear decision.I'd forgotten what a contentious subject it is!!

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #30,515 of 45,723
that is correct , timing issues and the algorithms to convert the info. The DMP-Z1 was built to maximize the timing precision’s of the modern digital devices. Same as WM-1Z and WM-1A. However, there are differences in S-Master and AKM IC in both of those.

never the less, only Sony that has been catering toward digital timing precision this whole time, since NW ZX1 , ZX2, now ZX507...etc. The rest of the other so called DAP is just straight up General Electric engineering with off the shelves parts. Honestly, if 1A or 1Z had more power....
You've got me worried! Does the 1A have plenty of power to drive a pair of 16 ohm rated IEMs with authority? At present I use a mains powered headphone amplifier with a Chord Qutest.They shine!
I'm hoping for a similar result, albeit a portable solution.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #30,516 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/altobajo.493309/

Just make sure you click “high output” when you get it. Always try to revert back and make low power output setting your setting to stay with as many think it sounds better. But with most full-size headphones and some IEMs.... high output is required. Also the 1A is going to sound very flat and non-musical at least for the first 50-100 hours. I listened to the stores before I started using mine so I knew. But Sony recommends 200 hours. You may notice the biggest change in the first 100 hours? There may be a fraction of a percent better with desktop on my IER-Z1R IEMs. We are not actually concerned with power for loudness. What more power gets you is damping factor. His other headphones are the HD800, I’m guessing. Also he has not heard his 1Z and IER-Z1R IEMs together as he sold his 1Z before getting the IER-Z1R. He is feeling like the DMP-1Z is always going to beat out the 1Z/1A......as in reality the detail and power probably do! :)

I use the 1A with the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R. You may notice an improvement using desktop amps with the full-size headphones due to damping factor seemingly adding bass detail which sounds like more bass and a more controlled lower midrange. In reality it’s better articulations of the driver. This damping adds the final factor for imaging and soundstage. For me the Walkmans offer enough power on their own, though I prefer the TA desktop for full-size headphones. I’m pretty sure you will feel you have all the power you need.

But the IER-Z1R IEM is incredibly hard to drive right and the 1A gets 98% there. There can always be small improvements with even more power than the DAPs provide, still it’s such a small percentage. It’s for those looking for the final small percentage difference. So I have not heard the DMP-1Z but can imagine what it may do? Still much of this also depends on synergy.......finding the correct tone can be more important than the technical effects of including that last 3% or 4% of power needed. In the end It’s all about how musical the combination is, and how close it comes to your needed sound signature. Meaning even at this level musicality still comes before technicality.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #30,517 of 45,723
You've summed the issue up extremely well.Some things,especially to do with the brains reception and perception of sound,defy logic,in this case 1s and 0s.I looked into this issue some years back,and my ears made a clear decision.I'd forgotten what a contentious subject it is!!

Our journey is very confusing and we come across conflicting opinions. Everyone’s truth is the best they have come up with, so everyone gets their own understandable respect, still you have to go on what you believe to be true.........it’s your money, your effort, and your ears in the end. Still we can always make mistakes. Some of the perception related to health conditions can be super confusing. Basically when your the most healthy music sounds the best!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #30,518 of 45,723
My docking station came together due to listening to your suggestions. Though my budget doesn’t allow the DMP-Z1. So I’m left here eternally grateful basically listening to your old system! Haha.

I needed reinforcement (at the time...from you) that it would better computer audio and it does.....even though essentially the 1A and 1Z ARE computers. :)

You convinced me on both the dock and AQ Carbon USB. Still like the sound!
I have the same setup WM-1A/Z -> Dock - > Carbon USB -> TA, killer setup.

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #30,519 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/altobajo.493309/

Just make sure you click “high output” when you get it. Always try to revert back and make low power output setting your setting to stay with as many think it sounds better. But with most full-size headphones and some IEMs.... high output is required. Also the 1A is going to sound very flat and non-musical at least for the first 50-100 hours. I listened to the stores before I started using mine so I knew. But Sony recommends 200 hours. You may notice the biggest change in the first 100 hours? There may be a fraction of a percent better with desktop on my IER-Z1R IEMs. We are not actually concerned with power for loudness. What more power gets you is damping factor. His other headphones are the HD800, I’m guessing. Also he has not heard his 1Z and IER-Z1R IEMs together as he sold his 1Z before getting the IER-Z1R. He is feeling like the DMP-1Z is always going to beat out the 1Z/1A......as in reality the detail and power probably do! :)

I use the 1A with the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R. You may notice an improvement using desktop amps with the full-size headphones due to damping factor seemingly adding bass detail which sounds like more bass and a more controlled lower midrange. In reality it’s better articulations of the driver. This damping adds the final factor for imaging and soundstage. For me the Walkmans offer enough power on their own, though I prefer the TA desktop for full-size headphones. I’m pretty sure you will feel you have all the power you need.

But the IER-Z1R IEM is incredibly hard to drive right and the 1A gets 98% there. There can always be small improvements with even more power than the DAPs provide, still it’s such a small percentage. It’s for those looking for the final small percentage difference. So I have not heard the DMP-1Z but can imagine what it may do? Still much of this also depends on synergy.......finding the correct tone can be more important than the technical effects of including that last 3% or 4% of power needed. In the end It’s all about how musical the combination is, and how close it comes to your needed sound signature. Meaning even at this level musicality still comes before technicality.
Something people don't seem to talk about these days is synergy.When I first became interested in personal audio,around 10 years ago,synergy was always emphasised.There were far fewer products available,but matching them correctly,"warm" with "cold",was key to a good result.A Dacport with Shure 535s was pretty much top of the tree.Look at the array of products available today,as well as the prices!
Thanks for your input,it's much appreciated!

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #30,521 of 45,723
That's strange.. On the Help Guide page it lists WAV: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001449080.html

I can't recommend the WM1A enough. It was a revelation for my Legend Xs. I raved to an audio buddy and he bought one and sold his AK. He was as amazed as I was at how good it sounds.

As for cables..This is kind of a fun example. Scroll down in the comments where someone has put the time stamps 4:11, 7:10 and listen. With decent headphones/earphones I can hear a difference, particularly in something like the "ting" of the cymbals for instance.
This is by no means an "objective" test and would likely be discounted but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Here is the link (did not appear in my version of the post):

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #30,523 of 45,723
For me much of it was curiosity. Getting Foobar2000 going in 2011........... then hearing timing issues, which then were improved by going WASABI? And then it was like wait? What! There is a hole in this theory of 1s and 0s!

At the same time I have to laugh at some of the expensive and now dated cable improvements I’ve gone and purchased. Finally, where I live we have some power regulators mounted on the electrical poles. So now my surge protectors are showing clean or cleaner power. So now I can break out my crazy power cables. In my situation it would be better to actually have a power regenerator but I’m not buying one. Many have this belief it’s the cable simply exiting from the wall to the amp. So now I’m using my laughingstock :) giant best power cable. Probably the most ridiculous thing? But it opens up the sound stage and smooths out everything too...............adding separation. It’s small internal balloons and pure gold foil conductors.

Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord

And

Electra Glide Audio Epiphany MK2 Power Cord

I love these.. brings back memories of my BMI cables and my Elrods. I was a big believer in clean power when I had a 2 channel system. A buddy of mine even went off grid to batteries...

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #30,524 of 45,723
I love these.. brings back memories of my BMI cables and my Elrods. I was a big believer in clean power when I had a 2 channel system. A buddy of mine even went off grid to batteries...

With the 1A and 1Z we are going off the grid to batteries, as well as having a smidge less power than desktops......but close......probably close enough for comfort?

So in comparison to 2009, it’s like we have battery powered desktops! :)

The DMP-Z1 is off the grid! You must have seen the Greek Audiophile video on YouTube? There may be something to it? Though the truth is some amplifiers are more susceptible to gaining benefits from clean power. Everything makes a small difference I believe.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvkes

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #30,525 of 45,723
Exactly what she had questioned. She commented why the superior player has to be a Papa 1Z and not a Mama 1Z? Just because it's better it's automatically a male?

Now you know why I'm just gonna go with the (her) flow on this one? :)

Right on brotha!

You need to introduce into her world the grand Pa ) the Dmp 1z
:ksc75smile::):gs1000smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back