SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #12,091 of 15,741
There are 2 choices for you:
- Use a Walkman to Female USB-A: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to male USB A, I remember that DDHifi has it.
- Use a Walkman to Female Micro-USB: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to Micro-USB, DDhifi also has it too.
Both choices let you stream Apple Music from iPhone to the old man Walkman M1

does that work on the new 1Z? I tried that with the apple dongle with usb c and it said the DAP consumed too much power hence accessory not supported

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #12,093 of 15,741
i have the wm1am2 and this has started to happen with mine. it is very noticeable when i power it up after a few hrs of power off. I have not done a factory reset.
To save you some trouble, factory reset won't help at all.
It could be a software related issue because the flickering in some apps are worse than the others.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #12,094 of 15,741
Is the volume limited and can it be turned off on the NWWM1AM2 ?
Anyone working on alternative software for this model ?
I'm a bit afraid that it will be too quiet in combination with the hd600 and in the future I plan to buy some better in-ear headphones can you recommend me some headphones for this player, I listen to all kinds of music with an emphasis on the 80s

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #12,096 of 15,741
To save you some trouble, factory reset won't help at all.
It could be a software related issue because the flickering in some apps are worse than the others.
thanks for that. i can't reproduce the flickering issue consistently so i do wonder if this is software related.
also of note is the "clicking" noise i'm starting to get from the player now. The type of sound you hear when a hard disk is clicking.
i'm puzzled by this one since there is no disk drive/mechanical sounding parts in the player (at least to my knowledge)

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #12,097 of 15,741
Mine, its start to show some vertical ghost bands on the left and right part of the screen. Strange, that this issue only is visible in the grey color.
In the black a white colores I don't see any of this...

Same issue on mine - saw the same in a demo unit at a Sony shop. Had my screen replaced - have not seen it since.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #12,098 of 15,741
thanks for that. i can't reproduce the flickering issue consistently so i do wonder if this is software related.
also of note is the "clicking" noise i'm starting to get from the player now. The type of sound you hear when a hard disk is clicking.
i'm puzzled by this one since there is no disk drive/mechanical sounding parts in the player (at least to my knowledge)
There are, the relays, and they are supposed to click. If they stop, they are broken^^

1691128791711.png

But they are only used on the 4.4mm port, so when you use the 3.5mm, you should not hear any clicking

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #12,101 of 15,741
Clicking sounds are normal. There are relays that control the output to 3.5/4.4. Also when switching clock rates (I think).

I'm a bit afraid that it will be too quiet in combination with the hd600 and in the future I plan to buy some better in-ear headphones can you recommend me some headphones for this player, I listen to all kinds of music with an emphasis on the 80s
Volume limit for the WM1A/Zm2 is on the EU models only. It cannot be defeated so far, and there is nobody working on alternative FW as the source code is not available.
For the non-android Walkmans (WM1A/Z, ZX300, A55/45) the volume cap can be turned off by setting the Region Code to a non-EU region, using Rockbox, and MrWalkman alternate FW is available that provide feature and SQ improvements.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #12,102 of 15,741
There is no way around the volume cap. If you don't want to import from Japan, you should reconsider an different DAP altogether. Nobody recommends buying the capped version, you will not be happy.

And this is absolutely not meant offensive, this is an honest recommendation.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #12,103 of 15,741
When putting music on your player do you use Music Center for PC or is there an easier way.? Seems like Music Center likes to crash a lot lately. I’m using Windows 11.

I personally always remove the SD card and add files on my PC or Mac. It much faster. Just make sure you put them in the "music" folder for Sony DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back