SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #12,122 of 15,988
I like music from the 80s and generally listen to everything I don't like analytical accurate cold dry headphones, I like slightly colored headphones
You have a very very tight budget but i was looking what would be worth to plug it into the WM1AM2 for that price.

The WM1AM2 is an rather high end DAP for 1000+€ headphones, but if your budget is tied to that limit

I think a good option would be the Shure SE535 https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Shure-SE535/art-PAH0020298-000

For slightly more money you can get the IE 500 Pro: https://www.promusictools.com/sennheiser-ie-500-pro-clear.html

But i think you're pretty much limited to those options, at least if you don't want to import

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #12,124 of 15,988
I might be tempted to import if it's worth it
If you save up some money, there are a _lot_ of very excellent choices from all over the world. 500€ really is a very very tight budget.

I personally would either go for the FA9 which is on heavy sale right now in germany

https://fiio-shop.de/angebote/restposten/998/fiio-fa9

Or just save up for something better alltogether. But the FA9 is a very good choice, especially for your budget, right now, i think its the best choice that you do not have to import

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #12,125 of 15,988
Are headphones a good choice campfire audio andromeda I found a used one, are you interested in them? possibly what others can also be used that will go well with this sony
I would like to know one more thing, if you were to buy a player, which version would you choose, or are they enough, which can be modified, I will add that the difference in price compared to the new model is around 100€ or 500€ for the new model, 400€ for the old one Another thing I'm curious about is whether there is a noticeable difference in sound between the models wm1a vs wm1z ?
Do you think there will be a possibility to unlock wm1am2 volume limit in the future

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #12,126 of 15,988
thanks for that. i can't reproduce the flickering issue consistently so i do wonder if this is software related.
also of note is the "clicking" noise i'm starting to get from the player now. The type of sound you hear when a hard disk is clicking.
i'm puzzled by this one since there is no disk drive/mechanical sounding parts in the player (at least to my knowledge)
Does this "clicking noise" happen when the player switches sample rates (e.g., 44khz to 96khz, PCM to DSD, etc)? It's the sound of the relay like others suggested.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #12,127 of 15,988
Are headphones a good choice campfire audio andromeda I found a used one, are you interested in them? possibly what others can also be used that will go well with this sony
I would like to know one more thing, if you were to buy a player, which version would you choose, or are they enough, which can be modified, I will add that the difference in price compared to the new model is around 100€ or 500€ for the new model, 400€ for the old one Another thing I'm curious about is whether there is a noticeable difference in sound between the models wm1a vs wm1z ?
Do you think there will be a possibility to unlock wm1am2 volume limit in the future
I don't think it will ever be possible. The ZX500 is from 2019 and it doesn't work with that one.

With the old Walkmans it worked because Sony allowed to do it. There's was an option and if you knew how to enter the service mode, you could even do it without any external tools.

Sony is the reason it worked with the old ones and Sony is the reason it no longer works with the new ones. I highly doubt it will ever be possible.

The Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea is very good, but it's an 1700€ IEM so way above your 500€ budget

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #12,130 of 15,988
This Sony is a big block with little power, I think I'll let it go I also have a question for you which other used player to buy I like retro sound warm musical I don't like analytical bright sound what can you advise me ?
The Sony Players do not have an retro warm musical sound. They have Full Digital Amps, so they have an very fast and direct sound. I already wrote you an private message but the amps that sound closest to the S-Master HX, in my experience, are the THX AAA amps. As far as i know, currently only FiiO is using them. The M11 Plus ESS would be the equivalent then.

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #12,131 of 15,988
And from my humble experience xaden DAC ESS chip not for a warm and musical sound I would be more inclined to AKM DAC sttone only what equipment to choose with this chip fairly new I'm thinking about buying a used Dap so that it had support for stryming and walked decently

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #12,132 of 15,988
And from my humble experience xaden DAC ESS chip not for a warm and musical sound I would be more inclined to AKM DAC sttone only what equipment to choose with this chip fairly new I'm thinking about buying a used Dap so that it had support for stryming and walked decently
The amp decides if an device sounds warm, not the DAC.

If you want an device that sounds as close as possible to the Walkman, its an THX AAA Amp (no matter what DAC).

If you want an device that sounds different to the Walkman, you should check the reviews of the deivces in your price range and ask in the corresponding thread of that device.

In this thread we can either give you advices on the Walkman or alternatives to the Walkman, but not for some random devices that are completely unrelated.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #12,133 of 15,988
The Sony Players do not have an retro warm musical sound. They have Full Digital Amps, so they have an very fast and direct sound. I already wrote you an private message but the amps that sound closest to the S-Master HX, in my experience, are the THX AAA amps. As far as i know, currently only FiiO is using them. The M11 Plus ESS would be the equivalent then.
The Fiio M11 Plus is just as much of a "brick" as the Sony A2 (I have both). M11+ more versatile; proper line outs (SE + balanced) as well as SPDIF out, 3 levels of gain. But I still prefer listening to the Sony.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #12,134 of 15,988
I'm having some channel imbalance occasionally. it's only when using the player after a while and I left the headphones plugged in. Goes away when I unplug and replug my headphone.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #12,135 of 15,988
This Sony is a big block with little power, I think I'll let it go I also have a question for you which other used player to buy I like retro sound warm musical I don't like analytical bright sound what can you advise me ?
I guess emphasis is more on the quality of component and sound quality than on power. Which IEM are you using? I feel the unit without volume cap can drive pretty much any IEM to ear shattering level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back