SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 24, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #15,737 of 15,987
True, and valid concerns.
The answer is not straightforward, though. The shorter battery life, under specific usage/settings, is not a fault.

Like all modern devices, usage and settings make major differences to the battery life. For me, an iPhone lasts multiple days. Many other users cannot get even a full day of usage. There is great variability among users, and it is due to their different usage/settings. Would I like to see the iPhone be better? Of course. But it is what it is.

The Sony DAP, I usually use Direct mode, playing local music files from the SD card. I do not use Streaming at all on the Sony. So for me, battery life has never been a concern. In fact, the Sony has class leading battery life. I don't think there is another DAP that is even close to it.

Other users use Streaming a majority of the time, with DSP functions on all the time. Some like the display on all the time. These users will have a drastically shorter battery life.

So it depends on usage/settings......... Which is great, as the choice is up to the user.

Most DAPs have a run time of 8-12 hours max, reducing further from that with battery hungry applications.
The Calyx M I had was around 4 hours, which was a major reason for selling it. There were just too many times when I picked it up to use, and it was dead, or had a very low charge. Sound wise, it was better than anything else on the market.....
In hindsight, I regret selling it. Should have adjusted to using it with an external battery to supplement, or just kept it for use at home.
Speaking of Calyx I still have it at home and keeping it..

May 25, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #15,738 of 15,987
Does anyone know if, using just the serial number, I can see the usage or warranty time of the nw-wm1am2?

May 25, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #15,739 of 15,987
Does anyone know if, using just the serial number, I can see the usage or warranty time of the nw-wm1am2?
No way, AFAIK
- The audio play time is in the Settings, but that will be reset to 0 by a Factory Reset. Even if not reset, the cumulative play time has no bearing on warranty.
- Warranty, you need the receipt. In addition, the serial # of a device cannot tell warranty. It could have been sitting on the shelf for months/years, so when it was manufactured has no relationship with warranty, as there is no way to tell when it was sold. The warranty starts from the Sales date, not the manufactured date.

May 25, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #15,740 of 15,987
I thought the question was kind of strange, until I realized that Apple does it this way. It's another of those things that Apple does differently.
All Apple devices are registered, and go through activation through an Apple Server. This is a massive cost, and I think only Apple has done this.
This is another area where Apple is unconventional, and gone their own way. And are also willing to spend a massive amount of money for the infrastructure to enable registration of the massive number of devices. Just the iPhone alone, 1.5 Billion phones have been sold. To build a database that tracks all those, AND all the other multi-billion of Apple products, is mind boggling.
Of course Apple is not stupid, wasting money. They are able to use the data in many ways, as part of their eco-system, which helps to make them as successful as they are.

May 26, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #15,741 of 15,987
I've been spending way too much time on this thread to learn more after becoming an owner of my every first dap, better yet a golden Sony -- very grateful of all members here and their deep knowledge regarding this sweet machine.

Just wanted to share some photos of my ZM2 that I purchased in March. Brown soft silicone case + tempered screen protector + matte film = smooth scrolling and snappy controls. Lose some sharpness from the matte film but It makes scrolling so much easier. I love this thing, I've spent many hours downloading music and editing metadata on every file to make sure the artists and album art are all there since I don't stream at all. I use it on airplane mode, disabled a lot of apps I don't use, battery saver on -- local playback all DSP on except DSD Remastering (I mostly prefer DSEE for the bass punchiness and instrument separation but DSD Remastering is noticeably smoother to my ears, so it depends on the music being played) and it uses 1-2% per hour with fairly frequent screen usage.
DSCF1127.jpg
DSCF1130.jpg
DSCF1133.jpg

The only two complaints I have so far are:
1) As a Mac user, this DAP cannot reliably connect to Android FIle Transfer, I get an error message every time asking to restart/reconnect the DAP. I have given up on connecting it directly to my computer. I just take my microSD out the tray and use a card reader instead.
2) The UI will stop showing the total song number once you hit a certain capacity. I have ~731 GB of flac and DSD files. When I shuffle all my songs it only displays 1/-- now which makes me wary that adding more music could crash the music app or worst case, losing all my data.

Has anyone run into these issues?

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #15,742 of 15,987
As far as i know, the warranty is only valid for the person who bought it. So if you buy it and then resell it, the new buyer can't use the warranty.

At least that is the information i was given.

May 26, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #15,743 of 15,987
I've been spending way too much time on this thread to learn more after becoming an owner of my every first dap, better yet a golden Sony -- very grateful of all members here and their deep knowledge regarding this sweet machine.

Just wanted to share some photos of my ZM2 that I purchased in March. Brown soft silicone case + tempered screen protector + matte film = smooth scrolling and snappy controls. Lose some sharpness from the matte film but It makes scrolling so much easier. I love this thing, I've spent many hours downloading music and editing metadata on every file to make sure the artists and album art are all there since I don't stream at all. I use it on airplane mode, disabled a lot of apps I don't use, battery saver on -- local playback all DSP on except DSD Remastering (I mostly prefer DSEE for the bass punchiness and instrument separation but DSD Remastering is noticeably smoother to my ears, so it depends on the music being played) and it uses 1-2% per hour with fairly frequent screen usage. DSCF1127.jpgDSCF1130.jpgDSCF1133.jpg

1) As a Mac user, this DAP cannot reliably connect to Android FIle Transfer, I get an error message every time asking to restart/reconnect the DAP. I have given up on connecting it directly to my computer. I just take my microSD out the tray and use a card reader instead.
2) The UI will stop showing the total song number once you hit a certain capacity. I have ~731 GB of flac and DSD files. When I shuffle all my songs it only displays 1/-- now which makes me wary that adding more music could crash the music app or worst case, losing all my data.

The UI showing the number of songs and reaching the point where it no longer displays an actual number is of no importance to function.
What can crash is having too many files on a card & then the O/S gets wonky, unresponsive and can't perform basic functions like deleting - then you have to resort to plugging it into a computer where you use that to read card and delete. Always leave some space on the card. How much? Not sure, but you will find out when it's over full....
You shouldn't be able to lose data, but if you don't have a backup of your files you are a fool. (Multiple backups, especially if you have labored to rip a CD collection to files.)

May 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #15,745 of 15,987

Just wanted to share some photos of my ZM2 that I purchased in March. Brown soft silicone case + tempered screen protector + matte film = smooth scrolling and snappy controls. Lose some sharpness from the matte film but It makes scrolling so much easier. I love this thing, I've spent many hours downloading music and editing metadata on every file to make sure the artists and album art are all there since I don't stream at all. I use it on airplane mode, disabled a lot of apps I don't use, battery saver on -- local playback all DSP on except DSD Remastering (I mostly prefer DSEE for the bass punchiness and instrument separation but DSD Remastering is noticeably smoother to my ears, so it depends on the music being played) and it uses 1-2% per hour with fairly frequent screen usage. DSCF1127.jpgDSCF1130.jpgDSCF1133.jpg

1) True the Sony doesn't connect very well with a Mac. I have had it appear for a few seconds on several occasions but then it disappears with a "No device Connected" Message. I have no idea why this is the case. Your strategy of removing the MicroSD is the only way. Or buy a cheap pc to use for your music management.

May 28, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #15,746 of 15,987
May 28, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #15,748 of 15,987
I am having an issue with my WM1A after 5 years of usage.

All of a sudden the folder structure inside the DAP has changed and now it sees no music on it, even though the music folders and files are in the MUSIC folder.

The root directory used to be right under WALKMAN (D: ) and it contained the folder titled MUSIC and a few other foders/items. I used to transfer albums into the MUSIC folder and they would appear on the DAP.

Since two days, all of a sudden a folder named WALKMAN is created inside the root directory along with a shortcut titled WALKMAN. MUSIC folder is removed to the WALKMAN folder nested under WALKMAN (D: ). So the DAP no longer sees the music files. When I connect the WM1A to my PC and delete the WALKMAN shortcut and move everything back to the root directory and delete the WALKMAN folder now emptied, in a few seconds they are re-created and the files and MUSIC folder is removed back into the re-created WALKMAN folder!

The folders look like this:
Capture01.JPG

Capture02.JPG

Exactly the same thing happens with the SD CARD also.

I tried formating and resetting and did a factory reset. Nothing worked.

Does anybody know how I can restore my beloved WM1A to its healthy state?
You're in the wrong thread^^ this thread is for the M2 (Second Generation).

You should ask here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-continuation-of-the-sony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/

May 28, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #15,750 of 15,987
Added the WM1ZM2 to the family… beautiful DAP.

IMG_4506.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back