SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 23, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #15,721 of 15,987
I just edited my post…I meant Wi-Fi On and Screen Off will give more than 10 hrs.
Only DSD Upsampling and screen usage brings Walkman to last less than 10 hrs.
Excellent! this time of more than 10 hours is more acceptable. Few DAPs from other brands deliver more than 10 - 12 hours under Wifi ON conditions. I think I'll get a 1am2. I need to hear this!!

May 24, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #15,722 of 15,987
Could anyone share how much time they can get when using wifi for streaming, but with the screen off… maybe turning on the screen only every now and then to change an album or artist?
With my WM1ZM2 , using Qobuz , 1 active DSP , screen open only for short moments , 88% battery , after 5/6 hours the battery is on 50/55%

May 24, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #15,723 of 15,987
Excellent! this time of more than 10 hours is more acceptable. Few DAPs from other brands deliver more than 10 - 12 hours under Wifi ON conditions. I think I'll get a 1am2. I need to hear this!!
Do these people expect the Walkman to last 40hours with everything on, including 100% screen brightness all the time running.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #15,724 of 15,987
Do these people expect the Walkman to last 40hours with everything on, including 100% screen brightness all the time running.
I'm sorry, but I'm not one of those people.
I have the idea that I wouldn't even go 40 hours without turning off music.

I'm not innocent enough to believe in these 40 hours.

But, what is expected is that once Sony implements Android and WiFi to enable streaming, the DAP would be optimized as little as possible to deliver around 25% - 30% of Sony's reported total battery life capacity.

At least that's what I hope.

The manufacturer implements a new functionality in their premium product, but when using it, one of the best features of this product (battery life) is compromised.

Sorry, but it's not very acceptable.

May 24, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #15,725 of 15,987
I'm sorry, but I'm not one of those people.
I have the idea that I wouldn't even go 40 hours without turning off music.

I'm not innocent enough to believe in these 40 hours.

But, what is expected is that once Sony implements Android and WiFi to enable streaming, the DAP would be optimized as little as possible to deliver around 25% - 30% of Sony's reported total battery life capacity.

At least that's what I hope.

The manufacturer implements a new functionality in their premium product, but when using it, one of the best features of this product (battery life) is compromised.

Sorry, but it's not very acceptable.
Agree that it is expected that battery life will be adequate, or the DAP is not fit for purpose.
But there are also variables that the user is responsible for.

It is not a reasonable expectation if everything is turned on to the most energy intensive settings. i.e. all DSP on, streaming on, screen on all the time, at 100% brightness. In this situation, the user will get variable, mostly poor battery life. How poor, depends on the usage. To use the most demanding battery settings/usage, and say whether the battery life is acceptable or not, is again up to the user. If everything on is what they require, and the battery life is not acceptable, then the DAP is not for them, and they should look for another DAP that meets their requirements.

Using more practical settings, the Sony can achieve all day use, even under pretty demanding (but not extreme demanding) situations.

So the Sony is able to handle streaming, with adequate battery life, and better than most. For typical/average usage/settings.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #15,726 of 15,987
Agree that it is expected that battery life will be adequate, or the DAP is not fit for purpose.
But there are also variables that the user is responsible for.

It is not a reasonable expectation if everything is turned on to the most energy intensive settings. i.e. all DSP on, streaming on, screen on all the time, at 100% brightness. In this situation, the user will get variable, mostly poor battery life. How poor, depends on the usage. To use the most demanding battery settings/usage, and say whether the battery life is acceptable or not, is again up to the user. If everything on is what they require, and the battery life is not acceptable, then the DAP is not for them, and they should look for another DAP that meets their requirements.

Using more practical settings, the Sony can achieve all day use, even under pretty demanding (but not extreme demanding) situations.

So the Sony is able to handle streaming, with adequate battery life, and better than most. For typical/average usage/settings.

Can anyone actually listen to music for 40hours straight? Even straight 8hours of music is way too much.

We live in the era of quick usb charging and ultra lightweight and slim power bank. It's not really heavy to carry around one ~150-200G powerbank if one wants extended playback time.

Also any other DAP out there now would actually be even much worse performing battery wise than this Sony M2 if the same expectations/settings are used.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #15,727 of 15,987
Can anyone actually listen to music for 40hours straight? Even straight 8hours of music is way too much.

We live in the era of quick usb charging and ultra lightweight and slim power bank. It's not really heavy to carry around one ~150-200G powerbank if one wants extended playback time.

Also any other DAP out there now would actually be even much worse performing battery wise than this Sony M2 if the same expectations/settings are used.
👏👏👏👍

May 24, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #15,729 of 15,987
I do: when I fly to/from Japan, I have my IEMs on for about 13 hours straight (that's how long my flight is). Sure, I'm sleeping most of the time but technically, the music is on.
True, and my flight time to Toronto is 15+ hours. The Sony will easily last that time, though. It's too noisy for critical listening, so Direct On, etc., and it will easily last for 15+ hours.

May 24, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #15,730 of 15,987
But it's also about the longevity of the battery. If you have a DAP with an endurance of 8 hours and a dap with an endurance of 30+, charge the battery four times less often. Then, of course, its lifespan is longer

May 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #15,731 of 15,987

It's not a matter of listening to music for 40 hours straight. But the less we have to charge the device, the useful life would probably increase. Thinking long term. I hope you understand that I'm not criticizing the Sony nw1am2, I even think I'm going to buy one... it's just a question from a future consumer. I hope that Sony can see and follow up on all the questions we have raised here and in other reviews. By the way: I got a second-hand ZX507, but like new, here in my country... and listening to it, only made me want to get a 1am2.

But it's also about the longevity of the battery. If you have a DAP with an endurance of 8 hours and a dap with an endurance of 30+, charge the battery four times less often. Then, of course, its lifespan is longer
Exactly what I'm talking about.
That's why I ask these questions.

May 24, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #15,732 of 15,987
It's not a matter of listening to music for 40 hours straight. But the less we have to charge the device, the useful life would probably increase. Thinking long term. I hope you understand that I'm not criticizing the Sony nw1am2, I even think I'm going to buy one... it's just a question from a future consumer. I hope that Sony can see and follow up on all the questions we have raised here and in other reviews. By the way: I got a second-hand ZX507, but like new, here in my country... and listening to it, only made me want to get a 1am2.

True, and valid concerns.
The answer is not straightforward, though. The shorter battery life, under specific usage/settings, is not a fault.

Like all modern devices, usage and settings make major differences to the battery life. For me, an iPhone lasts multiple days. Many other users cannot get even a full day of usage. There is great variability among users, and it is due to their different usage/settings. Would I like to see the iPhone be better? Of course. But it is what it is.

The Sony DAP, I usually use Direct mode, playing local music files from the SD card. I do not use Streaming at all on the Sony. So for me, battery life has never been a concern. In fact, the Sony has class leading battery life. I don't think there is another DAP that is even close to it.

Other users use Streaming a majority of the time, with DSP functions on all the time. Some like the display on all the time. These users will have a drastically shorter battery life.

So it depends on usage/settings......... Which is great, as the choice is up to the user.

Most DAPs have a run time of 8-12 hours max, reducing further from that with battery hungry applications.
The Calyx M I had was around 4 hours, which was a major reason for selling it. There were just too many times when I picked it up to use, and it was dead, or had a very low charge. Sound wise, it was better than anything else on the market.....
In hindsight, I regret selling it. Should have adjusted to using it with an external battery to supplement, or just kept it for use at home.

May 24, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #15,733 of 15,987

Well I am not targeting at you specifically for wanting battery performance or better longevity but I would think that Sony already sets the bar for outstanding battery performance if compared to the rest of the audiophile audio players out there.

I think what I am getting at is that those criticisms would make sense if the device itself is failing to be comparable to other devices in the same category but the fact is M2 Walkman already beats other devices hands down in playback time, if comparing apples to apples(streaming with wifi on).

The same can be said about the longevity of Sony Walkman battery, there are still many users of the ZX1, ZX2, ZX300 and M1 walkman owners still using their devices till this day while still equipped with the original stock batteries with still functioning battery operation times. Many other non-Sony daps of similar age would have require battery replacement or even fail to work anymore, especially those that have super high power draw amps that produces excessive heat.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #15,734 of 15,987
True, and valid concerns.
The answer is not straightforward, though. The shorter battery life, under specific usage/settings, is not a fault.

Like all modern devices, usage and settings make major differences to the battery life. For me, an iPhone lasts multiple days. Many other users cannot get even a full day of usage. There is great variability among users, and it is due to their different usage/settings. Would I like to see the iPhone be better? Of course. But it is what it is.

The Sony DAP, I usually use Direct mode, playing local music files from the SD card. I do not use Streaming at all on the Sony. So for me, battery life has never been a concern. In fact, the Sony has class leading battery life. I don't think there is another DAP that is even close to it.

Other users use Streaming a majority of the time, with DSP functions on all the time. Some like the display on all the time. These users will have a drastically shorter battery life.

So it depends on usage/settings......... Which is great, as the choice is up to the user.

Most DAPs have a run time of 8-12 hours max, reducing further from that with battery hungry applications.
The Calyx M I had was around 4 hours, which was a major reason for selling it. There were just too many times when I picked it up to use, and it was dead, or had a very low charge. Sound wise, it was better than anything else on the market.....
In hindsight, I regret selling it. Should have adjusted to using it with an external battery to supplement, or just kept it for use at home.
I remember seeing a user review on the Apple iPad, the reviewer gave 1 star because the battery didnt last as long as Apple claims for video playback but at the same time in his review he mentions he sets his brightness to 100%.

I used to own a IBasso DX100. It had really horrible battery life and ran really really hot. If you can get 4hours out of this thing, you are really lucky. The constant stress on the battery really took its toll on the battery’s capacity and it eventually died from a non-functioning battery. That was when I decide to switch to a more efficient digital amp ZX2 walkman.

May 24, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #15,735 of 15,987
A long battery life for me means knowing that when ever I turn on the player, it'll turn on with more than enough battery for a few hours. And that peace of mind is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back