SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 2, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #12,076 of 15,971
Has anyone noticed the screen of your WM1ZM2 or WM1AM2 flickered? Adjusting screen brightness or factory reset did not help in my case.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #12,077 of 15,971
I need your help on deciding which model would be best. I want to get the best sound for my listening on my iems (Trying to decide on which one - Sony IER-Z1rs or EE Legend X) currently using Westone W80s. I will also be using some fullsize (Trying to decide between Audeze LCD-XC or Sony WH-1000xm5). I listen to alot of EDM/Techno, pop, r&b, country, rock, hip hop, some jazz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As My setup will be for using at home as I work from home in my office all day, and then for at my kids sports or gymnastic, and travel. I dont mind carrying gear, as long as the sound is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to decide between the following:

Sony NW-WM1Z - I can get for about $1000 plus or minus - If I went this direction, I would need to get a dongle for my phone like maybe the Cayin RU7 for streaming from phone or ipad.

Sony NW-WM1A - I can get for about $450 plus or minus - Same as above, but load the mr walkman firmware

Sony NW-WM1AM2 - I get can for about a $1000 plus or minus - This would be all i would need.
The NW-WM1AM2 is better than than the WM1Z and WM1A and its all you need. I don't understand the question^^ The solution is right there

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #12,078 of 15,971
Has anyone noticed the screen of your WM1ZM2 or WM1AM2 flickered? Adjusting screen brightness or factory reset did not help in my case.
I have never experienced that on my WM1ZM2. Sounds like a job for the service

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #12,080 of 15,971
I have got this from approx 7 yrs of V30/ V60 via a Fiio A5 portable amp and my first impression was OMG what have I done !
But on a second more in-depth listen I realised yes the Sony really is that good.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #12,084 of 15,971
Hello, I have a question if this Sony NW WM1AM2 will play noticeably better than the phone id lg v60 with ESS Saber ?
Wouldn't that be a big difference?
This totally depends on your Headphones/Earphones.

You buy a good DAP because you have very good Headphones/Earphones that need such an DAP.

If you plug any cheap entry level In-Ear into it, there will be a difference, but it wont be big

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #12,085 of 15,971
i have the wm1am2 and this has started to happen with mine. it is very noticeable when i power it up after a few hrs of power off. I have not done a factory reset.
Mine, its start to show some vertical ghost bands on the left and right part of the screen. Strange, that this issue only is visible in the grey color.
In the black a white colores I don't see any of this...

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #12,086 of 15,971
The NW-WM1AM2 is better than than the WM1Z and WM1A and its all you need. I don't understand the question^^ The solution is right there
I have read different things. I have read that the wm1z is still better in sound than the wm1am2.

It would be nice for all in one, but if the wm1z is better sounding than the wm1am2, I would rather go that route. I just have never experienced either one, so I thought I would ask here which is better sounding.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #12,087 of 15,971
I have read different things. I have read that the wm1z is still better in sound than the wm1am2.

It would be nice for all in one, but if the wm1z is better sounding than the wm1am2, I would rather go that route. I just have never experienced either one, so I thought I would ask here which is better sounding.
The only advantage the WM1Z has is the copper chassy, it is worse in everything else.

Here is an official image from Sony explaining the differences in an very easy and simple way
1691070012259.png

It is very abstract, that is true, but this image basically says "The WM1AM2 is better in everything except for not using a copper chassy". But the difference this coppy chassy makes is very very very small, inaudible for most people.

But even if the copper chassy would matter, according to this image, the WM1AM2 is either better, or as good, but not worse.

I owned the WM1Z in the past and in my personal opinion, from an previous owner, the WM1AM2 is significantly better and i would never even think about getting an Generation 1 Walkman

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #12,088 of 15,971

According to previous posts in this thread, it's about tuning. Wm1A is most reference tuning, and in order of coloration it goes wm1am2, Wm1Z, wm1zm2. I love the sound of the Sony Z DAPs. Better is definitely subjective. I personally love the sound of the wm1z more than many DAPs I've heard over the last couple years, so I could t see myself switching for something else anytime soon. So, level of warmth and coloration is another factor to consider. As a small note, using 1Z as a DAC, to iphone, you are getting bitperfect playback, unlike using the apple Music app, etc. From the m2. The upscale audio still sounds good, it just isn't bitperfect. And if it matters at all, using the player as a DAC, you Also still get to listen to DOLBY Atmos audio if you so choose. All that can be done using the m2 as a DAC, but if your gonna play streaming from other devices, and like the Sony coloration, 1Z is great 🤷‍♂️

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #12,089 of 15,971
From what I've read, there are differences between the two models Wm1am2 Wm1zm2 it's a different housing made of a different material, a different color and more memory, are there any other hardware differences that I don't know about?

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #12,090 of 15,971
From what I've read, there are differences between the two models Wm1am2 Wm1zm2 it's a different housing made of a different material, a different color and more memory, are there any other hardware differences that I don't know about?
The Z has another Kimber cable inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back