SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #12,048 of 15,807
Just got my 1ZM2 and debloated it. I only have 13 apps left including the Nova launcher which, to me, made things so much snappier and got rid of the undeletable Google search widget.

Will start testing battery life again with Wifi, BT off and Airplane mode on.

I am pairing it with the Meze Lirics and they sounded amazing in the SE output; trying balanced now. I’ve tested and liked all the pairings in my collection.

I only intend to use the DAP for local FLAC playback so hoping this lasts a long time as I won’t be relying on any app updates that is concerned with having Android.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #12,049 of 15,807
That last paragraph is all it matters.....
In what way exactly? Capped or uncapped does not seem to make any difference. Which sound enchancements should I test? I will start burn-in tonight and see tomorrow. I'm really willing and open to keeping the M2 if the technicalities are more or less the same of the SP3000. So if there is anything I can do, let me know since I really love the tuning so far.

What do you mean?

You say, what you hear you like better, but then you say it has better technicalities.

It has worse technicalities, worse than an 60€ DAC. It does not have good technicalities.

If you like it better, that is totally fine, and i am 100% sure nobody will complain. But you like it better because it has worse technicalities and that suits your taste (that is basically the idea behind a lot of analog amps and especially tube amps. They are made to have worse technicalities due to personal preference).

So when you prefer the SP3000, its the better DAP for you and you should keep that. But the reason is not, that it has better technicalities.

A&K SP3000 on the left, cheap 60€ USB Dongle on the right

So you like the SP3000 because it is worse, which is nothing bad and even no surprise, a lot of people prefer Vinyl Records over the best Hi-Res Audio Recordings.

But to answer your initial question, no. The Capped and Uncapped Walkman should sound identical. I have never heard an capped one, but its a pure volume limit, so you shouldn't be able to hear anything different.
As I said, I personally hear noticeably better technicalities and that's enough for me to be able to form a preference. If you say it's all artificial or inauthentic, so be it, it's still fine with me - as long as I hear what I hear.

I'm really not biased - if anything I'm more against the SP3000, that is why I'm looking for another DAP and the M2 was my favourite candidate.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #12,050 of 15,807
In what way exactly? Capped or uncapped does not seem to make any difference. Which sound enchancements should I test? I will start burn-in tonight and see tomorrow. I'm really willing and open to keeping the M2 if the technicalities are more or less the same of the SP3000. So if there is anything I can do, let me know since I really love the tuning so far.

As I said, I personally hear noticeably better technicalities and that's enough for me to be able to form a preference. If you say it's all artificial or inauthentic, so be it, it's still fine with me - as long as I hear what I hear.

I'm really not biased - if anything I'm more against the SP3000, that is why I'm looking for another DAP and the M2 was my favourite candidate.
If u want fast burn-in within a night, I recommend turn up the volume additional 10 to 12 db and let it run. Remember to lower back to the normal volume before listening again. Hope it helps. That's what i do with my Z1Rs with WM1A and ZM2.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #12,051 of 15,807
If u want fast burn-in within a night, I recommend turn up the volume additional 10 to 12 db and let it run. Remember to lower back to the normal volume before listening again. Hope it helps. That's what i do with my Z1Rs.
Sorry for the maybe stupid question: do I have to have the M2 connected to any iems/headphones or can I do a burn-in without anything? I have and do burn in never.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #12,052 of 15,807
Sorry for the maybe stupid question: do I have to have the M2 connected to any iems/headphones or can I do a burn-in without anything? I have and do burn in never.
o, yeah, burn-in is for the 3.5 or 4.4 too other than the internal cable. Use the iem ur going to test it with. The internal caps need some flexing of muscles too.

For me, I find the actual full cycle is to let the unit rest few hours too, it need time to cure itself. The next session will be the more accurate one.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #12,054 of 15,807
Burn in even for 4.4, if you say so... i'll be surprised and i'll report back tomorrow 🤔.
Just the one u need to test first will do. When u have spare time, then do both, though im not sure if this is needed.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #12,055 of 15,807
Burn in even for 4.4, if you say so... i'll be surprised and i'll report back tomorrow 🤔.
Sony recommends both be individually burned in for at least 200 hours (also says in one of the apps on the DAP; i even uninstalled this one). But as FreeTime mentioned, just focus on one you’d mainly be using first.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #12,056 of 15,807
It uses different capacitors for 3.5mm and 4.4mm

Not different types but they are physically separated on the board. Some capacitors are shared between outputs and some are exclusive for the output. So listening to music at the 3.5mm port will leave the 4.4mm capacitors untouched

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #12,057 of 15,807
But the burning matters, it matters a lot
That is true, yes. That comes next.
If u want fast burn-in within a night, I recommend turn up the volume additional 10 to 12 db and let it run. Remember to lower back to the normal volume before listening again. Hope it helps. That's what i do with my Z1Rs with WM1A and ZM2.

Well, I can already tell that the M2 sounds completely different after a night of burn-in. Now we can start talking about a comparison with the SP3000. See? I said it yesterday that there was something wrong here, and now here you have the answer.

I'll let it go on and I'll get back to you...

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #12,058 of 15,807
Well, I can already tell that the M2 sounds completely different after a night of burn-in. Now we can start talking about a comparison with the SP3000. See? I said it yesterday that there was something wrong here, and now here you have the answer.

I'll let it go on and I'll get back to you...
To our defense, there is a 2 page disclaimer when setting up the device saying that the burnin is necessary :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back