SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 29, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #12,031 of 15,975
Im not sure if this is a good way, If u have Sony Music Center for PC installed, it will be able to load all your songs in your PC as long you have set the file path correctly. From there, u can transfer the files to your walkman with usb connection. Think the tricky part is if the cover art is still intact.

Remember to format the sdcard with the Walkman first. It needs to auto create a folder call "Music".
Yes its the album art that worries me, I know Jriver exports with this included as on my LG V60 and Samsung S7 tablet.

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #12,032 of 15,975
Hi all,

I just got Sony 1ZM2 and really like the built quality and the UI. Any suggestions on what iem's has great synergy with 1ZM2?

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #12,033 of 15,975
Hi all,

I just got Sony 1ZM2 and really like the built quality and the UI. Any suggestions on what iem's has great synergy with 1ZM2?
I think the best Earphones you can pair with this Walkman, which happen, surprise surprise, to be the ones that are officially recommended by Sony, are

IER-M9
IER-Z1R

Depending on in which country you life in, there are other options. Sony for example offers Earphones that are optimized on the WM1ZM2, they are called JustEar XJE-MHRWM1M2

https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/

But you can, of course, plug every flagship into the Walkman like the FitEar TG335, Vision Ears VE8 or Phönix, Westone Mach 80, Audio Technica ATH IEX-1, Final A8000 and so on. They all excell with the Walkman, so basically you can use whatever you want

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #12,034 of 15,975
I think the best Earphones you can pair with this Walkman, which happen, surprise surprise, to be the ones that are officially recommended by Sony, are

IER-M9
IER-Z1R

Depending on in which country you life in, there are other options. Sony for example offers Earphones that are optimized on the WM1ZM2, they are called JustEar XJE-MHRWM1M2

https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/

But you can, of course, plug every flagship into the Walkman like the FitEar TG335, Vision Ears VE8 or Phönix, Westone Mach 80, Audio Technica ATH IEX-1, Final A8000 and so on. They all excell with the Walkman, so basically you can use whatever you want
I now have FOMO of Sony Custom IEM's.

But they look bigger than the Z1R's and she looks like she's crying inside.

Scared to know the price.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #12,035 of 15,975
Sony for example offers Earphones that are optimized on the WM1ZM2, they are called JustEar XJE-MHRWM1M2
oh wow, that is an easy name from sony :p

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #12,037 of 15,975
Is there a sound difference between the capped and uncapped version of the M2?

I have a brandnew M2 capped here which I compared with the SP3000. Well, there is technically no competition, the SP3000 wins hands down.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #12,038 of 15,975
I now have FOMO of Sony Custom IEM's.

But they look bigger than the Z1R's and she looks like she's crying inside.

Scared to know the price.
The JustEar are available in three ways.

Preset Tuning --> You Can choose between Monitor (IER-M9 like), Listening (IER-Z1R like) and Club (XBA-Z5 like?) --> Same price as IER-Z1R in Japan
Custom Tuning --> They sit down with you and tune the In-Ear exactly the way you want it until you are 100% satisfied --> 50% more expensive than preset
WM1M2 Tuning --> 25% more expensive than preset

JustEar are always Custom In-Ear as you can see here

The Project Leader is by the way the guy who created the legendary MDR-EX90 and MDR-EX700 (The first In-Ear using an 16mm Driver) back in 2007. When Sony was the only company on the planet that made audiophile In-Ear.

They also often have Models that have been tuned by artists themself and can be bought as an collectors item.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #12,039 of 15,975
They also often have Models that have been tuned by artists themself and can be bought as an collectors item.
this sounds great

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #12,040 of 15,975
Is there a sound difference between the capped and uncapped version of the M2?

I have a brandnew M2 capped here which I compared with the SP3000. Well, there is technically no competition, the SP3000 wins hands down.
Afair there is no difference.

I tested the SP2000, SP2000T and the SP3000 a few months ago when it was released, i don't remember it being better.

Did you volume match with an db Meter? An differnece of just 1db already makes one dap sound superior.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #12,041 of 15,975
Afair there is no difference.

I tested the SP2000, SP2000T and the SP3000 a few months ago when it was released, i don't remember it being better.

Did you volume match with an db Meter? An differnece of just 1db already makes one dap sound superior.
I really don't need a db meter for such a comparison, believe me. The differences between the M2 and SP3000 are quite notably: generally speaking and without going into details, the soundstage is overall bigger, transients are sharper, you have more dynamics, more general resolution, more nuances, a better layering. I really wanted to like the M2 because of the fantastic musicality and warmth, but it's unfortunately not enough.

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #12,042 of 15,975
I really don't need a db meter for such a comparison, believe me. The differences between the M2 and SP3000 are quite notably: generally speaking and without going into details, the soundstage is overall bigger, transients are sharper, you have more dynamics, more general resolution, more nuances, a better layering. I really wanted to like the M2 because of the fantastic musicality and warmth, but it's unfortunately not enough.
The Soundstage is bigger? That doesn't sound good as the Soundstage of the WM1 M2 is already as big as it can be. That means the Soundstage of the SP3000 is larger than it should be.

The transients are sharper? That doesn't good either. Better layering? An DAP is not supposed to have any layering at all, thats the job of the earphone. So if the layering changes with the SP3000, something sounds wrong.

But i just checked the measurements of the SP3000, something is wrong, look at this

1690823174867.png

and this

1690823196207.png

Someone at A&K must have been drunk when greenlighting this device..

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #12,043 of 15,975
The Soundstage is bigger? That doesn't sound good as the Soundstage of the WM1 M2 is already as big as it can be. That means the Soundstage of the SP3000 is larger than it should be.

The transients are sharper? That doesn't good either. Better layering? An DAP is not supposed to have any layering at all, thats the job of the earphone. So if the layering changes with the SP3000, something sounds wrong.

But i just checked the measurements of the SP3000, something is wrong, look at this

and this

Someone at A&K must have been drunk when greenlighting this device..
I respect your opinion, thank you for the answer and the effort, but I do not think that a discussion could be something productive. I only judge what I hear, and what I hear I like much better with the SP3000.

As I said, I actually wanted to keep the M2 and sell the SP3000, I really tried hard, but I could not cope with a downgrade of technicalities unfortunately, even if the tuning I like better.

If it matters, the M2 is capped, in direct mode and without burn-in.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #12,044 of 15,975
I respect your opinion, thank you for the answer and the effort, but I do not think that a discussion could be something productive. I only judge what I hear, and what I hear I like much better with the SP3000.

As I said, I actually wanted to keep the M2 and sell the SP3000, I really tried hard, but I could not cope with a downgrade of technicalities unfortunately, even if the tuning I like better.

That last paragraph is all it matters.....

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #12,045 of 15,975

What do you mean?

You say, what you hear you like better, but then you say it has better technicalities.

It has worse technicalities, worse than an 60€ DAC. It does not have good technicalities.

If you like it better, that is totally fine, and i am 100% sure nobody will complain. But you like it better because it has worse technicalities and that suits your taste (that is basically the idea behind a lot of analog amps and especially tube amps. They are made to have worse technicalities due to personal preference).

So when you prefer the SP3000, its the better DAP for you and you should keep that. But the reason is not, that it has better technicalities.

A&K SP3000 on the left, cheap 60€ USB Dongle on the right

1690824155841.png
1690824171305.png

So you like the SP3000 because it is worse, which is nothing bad and even no surprise, a lot of people prefer Vinyl Records over the best Hi-Res Audio Recordings.

But to answer your initial question, no. The Capped and Uncapped Walkman should sound identical. I have never heard an capped one, but its a pure volume limit, so you shouldn't be able to hear anything different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back