SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #12,062 of 15,696
Ok, I loaded via Jriver over the weekend as I downloaded Sony Music Center and noticed a max of 30% album art and if those, 50% appeared to be ' home made' from CD sleeves. Anyhow, loaded, I went through the bloatware removal list gladly received from someone on here, and had a good old listen last night (Sony M9). I opened both the Walkman player and UAPP as I am familiar with that. Again very low amount of album art whereas UAPP had almost 100%, but we don't listen to the art i agree. MY GOODNESS, what a sound, just gorgeous in all respects. I flipped occasionally between UAPP and Walkman player using the same local flac tunes, I was surprised by the difference between these software players. All in all I preferred UAPP, Whilst not quite as crisp and sharp, it had a more 'real' sound on the tracks I used, drums inparticular. For as i am aware, both were direct so i don't think settings are coming into play. The thing is, I LOVE THIS WALKMAN !!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #12,063 of 15,696
Ok, I loaded via Jriver over the weekend as I downloaded Sony Music Center and noticed a max of 30% album art and if those, 50% appeared to be ' home made' from CD sleeves. Anyhow, loaded, I went through the bloatware removal list gladly received from someone on here, and had a good old listen last night (Sony M9). I opened both the Walkman player and UAPP as I am familiar with that. Again very low amount of album art whereas UAPP had almost 100%, but we don't listen to the art in agree. MY GOODNESS, what a sound, just gorgeous in all respects. I flipped occasionally between UAPP and Walkman player using the same local flac tunes, I was surprised by the difference between these software players. All in all I preferred UAPP, Whilst not quite as crisp and sharp, it had a more 'real' sound on the tracks I used, drums inparticular. For as i am aware, both were direct so i don't think settings are coming into play. The thing is, I LOVE THIS WALKMAN !!!!!
I thought UAPP can not bypass Android upsampling in Walkman

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #12,064 of 15,696
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #12,065 of 15,696
you get even a message that it does not support the sony...
may be the up sampling is taking away some of the zing present in music or making the transients rounder which many like.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #12,066 of 15,696
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #12,068 of 15,696
Is this showing support, or just the device that's using the UAPP app?
20230802_175508~2.jpg

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #12,069 of 15,696
I need your help on deciding which model would be best. I want to get the best sound for my listening on my iems (Trying to decide on which one - Sony IER-Z1rs or EE Legend X) currently using Westone W80s. I will also be using some fullsize (Trying to decide between Audeze LCD-XC or Sony WH-1000xm5). I listen to alot of EDM/Techno, pop, r&b, country, rock, hip hop, some jazz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As My setup will be for using at home as I work from home in my office all day, and then for at my kids sports or gymnastic, and travel. I dont mind carrying gear, as long as the sound is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to decide between the following:

Sony NW-WM1Z - I can get for about $1000 plus or minus - If I went this direction, I would need to get a dongle for my phone like maybe the Cayin RU7 for streaming from phone or ipad.

Sony NW-WM1A - I can get for about $450 plus or minus - Same as above, but load the mr walkman firmware

Sony NW-WM1AM2 - I get can for about a $1000 plus or minus - This would be all i would need.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #12,070 of 15,696
I need your help on deciding which model would be best. I want to get the best sound for my listening on my iems (Trying to decide on which one - Sony IER-Z1rs or EE Legend X) currently using Westone W80s. I will also be using some fullsize (Trying to decide between Audeze LCD-XC or Sony WH-1000xm5). I listen to alot of EDM/Techno, pop, r&b, country, rock, hip hop, some jazz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As My setup will be for using at home as I work from home in my office all day, and then for at my kids sports or gymnastic, and travel. I dont mind carrying gear, as long as the sound is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to decide between the following:

Sony NW-WM1Z - I can get for about $1000 plus or minus - If I went this direction, I would need to get a dongle for my phone like maybe the Cayin RU7 for streaming from phone or ipad.

Sony NW-WM1A - I can get for about $450 plus or minus - Same as above, but load the mr walkman firmware

Sony NW-WM1AM2 - I get can for about a $1000 plus or minus - This would be all i would need.
A note for you, you can get an adapter Walkman to Female USB A, then you can stream with the old man WM1Z as the DAC, but there is latency, for music, I think it is no problem but if you want to stream video, it would be.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #12,072 of 15,696
Thanks, what about to an iPhone
I have wm1z and iphone 13mini with apple music lossless. Thus is how I listen to the music that isn't in my personal library. I love it. Wasn't trying to pay over $2k for the 1zm2, so I got a 1z from another member. Also own the Shanling m8. 1z is just better, similar signature. Love the 1z. Happy with my solution

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #12,073 of 15,696
I have wm1z and iphone 13mini with apple music lossless. Thus is how I listen to the music that isn't in my personal library. I love it. Wasn't trying to pay over $2k for the 1zm2, so I got a 1z from another member. Also own the Shanling m8. 1z is just better, similar signature. Love the 1z. Happy with my solution
Thanks, what cables are you using from your iPhone to the 1z

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #12,074 of 15,696
Thanks, what about to an iPhone
There are 2 choices for you:
- Use a Walkman to Female USB-A: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to male USB A, I remember that DDHifi has it.
- Use a Walkman to Female Micro-USB: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to Micro-USB, DDhifi also has it too.
Both choices let you stream Apple Music from iPhone to the old man Walkman M1

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #12,075 of 15,696
There are 2 choices for you:
- Use a Walkman to Female USB-A: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to male USB A, I remember that DDHifi has it.
- Use a Walkman to Female Micro-USB: you can get an OTG cable Lightning to Micro-USB, DDhifi also has it too.
Both choices let you stream Apple Music from iPhone to the old man Walkman M1
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back