SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 27, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #9,842 of 15,734
Wow the MacBook doesn't see the Walkman, why?
Right, Android Transfer..you gotta love that relationship ..
In that case, is it quicker to take the SD card out for transfer ?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #9,844 of 15,734
is there an option to operate buttons on screen lock and also is the beautiful tape animation controllable in any way?
Thanks
Yes, if the hold switch is off, the buttons work with the screen off/locked. The hold switch doesn't affect the power button though.

And I wish the beautiful tape animation was controllable other than off or on.

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #9,845 of 15,734
Yes, if the hold switch is off, the buttons work with the screen off/locked. The hold switch doesn't affect the power button though.

And I wish the beautiful tape animation was controllable other than off or on.
I see, thanks man, I always thought the tape thing had several ones to choose from

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #9,847 of 15,734
By the time which the streaming apps start to require new android OS version to function, maybe somewhere in 2027, by that time if assuming the World does not end in mutually assured self destruction, there would have be a new WM1Z/AM3 in the works.

What is drastically new in the android 12 that is of concern to sound quality or operational performance of the Walkman? I this is what I meant by nothing much to be gain. And even if updated to the new OS, without performing debloating, it’s very highly likely that it is not going any faster and probably even slower given how much Google likes to add new methods to spy on you or they like to put it as “Usage statistics”.

By stripping down the bloatware, it’s already super fast for offline playback. And I highly doubt there’s any significant performance to be gained using android 12 on NXP soc with its A53 processor. As for the laggy streaming apps, I think the issue is with the bad software coding optimisation rather than android version being the issue, having a new OS won’t fix bad coding.
You actually have no idea of the developmental roadmap or the minimal SDK requirements of these apps in the future. So I'm totally confused about why you're even offering these conjectures.

Also do you think people should just spend another £1.4k just because the OS is outdated and it can't carry out one of its fundamental operations (streaming playback) despite the device being fine in every other way. 4 year life span (on your own timeline) is pretty shocking for something that is so expensive.

I know for a fact Android 13 vastly outperforms Android 12 (without debloating) and has fixed numerous bugs that existed in Android 11. It's not bug free but my device feels like a brand new device. In all honesty I can't remember the differences between Android 11 to 12. I'll have to do some reading.

The main use of it would be to maintain compatibility with apps, improve user experience, obviously a more optimised OS with ideally less bugs. It's not about performance.

You seem to think that a simple security update improves sound quality so I'm now confused as to why you think it's not possible for a whole OS upgrade to not affect SQ. It seems you just make excuses for, and agree with Sony no matter which direction they go.

I had to laugh at your assertions that ALL of these streaming apps are somehow badly optimised rather than the AM2 being underpowered. It can't be the devices fault. It's all these other companies that apparently can't make an optimised application.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #9,848 of 15,734
You actually have no idea of the developmental roadmap or the minimal SDK requirements of these apps in the future. So I'm totally confused about why you're even offering these conjectures.

Also do you think people should just spend another £1.4k just because the OS is outdated and it can't carry out one of its fundamental operations (streaming playback) despite the device being fine in every other way. 4 year life span (on your own timeline) is pretty shocking for something that is so expensive.

I know for a fact Android 13 vastly outperforms Android 12 (without debloating) and has fixed numerous bugs that existed in Android 11. It's not bug free but my device feels like a brand new device. In all honesty I can't remember the differences between Android 11 to 12. I'll have to do some reading.

The main use of it would be to maintain compatibility with apps, improve user experience, obviously a more optimised OS with ideally less bugs. It's not about performance.

You seem to think that a simple security update improves sound quality so I'm now confused as to why you think it's not possible for a whole OS upgrade to not affect SQ. It seems you just make excuses for, and agree with Sony no matter which direction they go.

I had to laugh at your assertions that ALL of these streaming apps are somehow badly optimised rather than the AM2 being underpowered. It can't be the devices fault. It's all these other companies that apparently can't make an optimised application.

Not sure how you come to misconstrue my point to the point as if I am saying that all streaming apps are badly optimised. I have not mention the word ALL. Please read carefully next time.

Is there a need to laugh? This is just a difference in point of view.

updating OS isn’t as simple as you think. It will likely introduce a whole load of bugs and issues and can even brick phones:
https://www.theverge.com/22881882/a...s-oneplus-oxygenos-12-samsung-one-ui-4-update

And this is my final reply to you as ignore list is where you go.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #9,849 of 15,734

For the record, Android updates are not really necessary for a digital audio player. All streaming audio apps are fully functional starting with Android 6, which came out in 2015. As an example Tidal Music works back to Android 4, just the version available for that OS max capability is CD quality. The way Android works, the player will never NOT work, you'll simply be stuck with the last update of the app that your OS can handle, but that is gonna be a long while before the function available to the OS will be any different with these audio apps. I've been using Android since the Original Android G1, so I've been here since the beginning

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #9,850 of 15,734
Had my WM1AM2 since August and put 230 hours on 3.5mm (likely a lot more with apps) and reached 155 hours on 4.4 balanced.. this walkman still surprises me!! Just listening to Pendulum on balanced lead with my XBA-Z5's and the bass response is insane!! Its like I have my lounge BK XXLS400 12 inch sub in my ears!! I'm now a believer of burn in!!

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #9,851 of 15,734
For the record, Android updates are not really necessary for a digital audio player. All streaming audio apps are fully functional starting with Android 6, which came out in 2015. As an example Tidal Music works back to Android 4, just the version available for that OS max capability is CD quality. The way Android works, the player will never NOT work, you'll simply be stuck with the last update of the app that your OS can handle, but that is gonna be a long while before the function available to the OS will be any different with these audio apps. I've been using Android since the Original Android G1, so I've been here since the beginning
Yeah Spotify also works with Android 4.1. The fear though is that you'll be stuck on a old version of Spotify and the Spotify server will just reject communication with an old version of the app. Perhaps that's premature and paranoid but I don't want to buy something for £1.4k and then it inevitably becomes a paperweight at the end of the day.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #9,852 of 15,734

Minimum Android versions for current versions of streaming apps:

Tidal - Android 7
Amazon Music - Android 7
Roon ARC - Android 9
Qobuz - Android 6
Spotify - Android 6
Apple Music - Android 6

Not trying to get involved in the debate, just stating facts.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #9,853 of 15,734
Not sure how you come to misconstrue my point to the point as if I am saying that all streaming apps are badly optimised. I have not mention the word ALL. Please read carefully next time.

Is there a need to laugh? This is just a difference in point of view.

updating OS isn’t as simple as you think. It will likely introduce a whole load of bugs and issues and can even brick phones:
https://www.theverge.com/22881882/a...s-oneplus-oxygenos-12-samsung-one-ui-4-update

And this is my final reply to you as ignore list is where you go.
Sheesh I have no idea why you're taking this so personally.

You said "As for the laggy streaming apps, I think the issue is with the bad software coding optimisation rather than android version being the issue, having a new OS won’t fix bad coding."

Suggesting you think more than one of these streaming apps have "bad software coding" (without knowing a single line of the code for any of these apps btw). There aren't that many streaming apps out there btw so more than one might as well be all of them.

I'm a software engineer, I know well enough that OS upgrades aren't simple but companies all over the world are doing it and have to in an ever changing world. Your line:
It will likely introduce a whole load of bugs and issues and can even brick phones:
Is a bit ridiculous, you're taking one instance of upgrades gone wrong and imply that software upgrades across the board are risky when upgrades are done all over the world in all sorts of industries. There'll inevitably be regressions but project management budgets them in for future sprints.

It's like your whole ripple investigation. Surmising that the physics of EV batteries are the same for the batteries in our devices. The problem is you don't actually know but you're making all of these assertions as if you do.

Why do you need a troll list and nobody else does?

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #9,854 of 15,734
I see, thanks man, I always thought the tape thing had several ones to choose from
The type of tape displayed corresponds to the file type played. Which is quite clever. However all my files are the same, so I only see one tape. Would love more options, such as random :)

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9,855 of 15,734
So the ZX707 gets a Gold volume knob and the WM1AM2 doesn't 😞 lol

20230127_183324.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back